Trailer Trash

Torrid Tuesday (Read 23 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers! Just finished a 3.5 mile run in the woods (but paved trail 😐). 80 degrees and very humid. Now watching the water aerobics class while DS is on the other pool finishing practice. That might have been the smarter workout option today.

qotd: 4th plans? We're undecided as usual. Swim meets this weekend and work are keeping us home. We have a good fireworks display very close by, so probably that

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yeah, the heat and humidity here are like unwanted guests who won't leave.  I might try to go for some easy miles tonight, but there's nothing easy in this east coast weather right now.

I saw the results from the weekend's 30 hour race.  Only 5 of 52 participants made it past 100 miles.  Kinda shows how the conditions broke everyone down, so I don't feel as bad, but still disappointed in myself.

QOTD:  The beach, beer, surfing (Mandy's favorite!), beer, fireworks, beer.  Maybe some running.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

Hot hot hot last night. Somewhere around 95-97 degrees and deathly still. Decided to change plans and run up on the local trail as I do multiple loops there so could bail out if I had a meltdown. Instead I got in my planned 6 and had a fairly decent run. Shade helps! Shorts were about as soaked post run as they were after post run plunge in the pool. Today, roasting again but a few degrees cooler. I will look for another shady trail this evening, and also weights and stretching at lunch.

QOTD: Nothing major. Pool hangout, beer, run, and/or golf are all in the mix. The local town is having fireworks again after a 3 year hiatus but I doubt if we will go. The Lady hates fireworks, so she will need lots of attention.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

adkkev

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Back again, well, at least almost. Waiting to board the plane back at Munich airport.

But I am proud to report that I did get a very nice run in in the Vienna Forest hilly mountains. About 9 miles and just very relaxing.

Not so relaxing taking care of my parents and arrange their care, especially because the two current caregivers quit on short notice while I was there (I swear I had nothing to do with it  . Sad to leave knowing it is probably the last time I saw them.

QOTD: drive back home from Dulles airport to PA and celebrate with my kids. Perhaps a run with my boys on the bikes. Watching the huge fireworks in the evening.

Run for fun.

LB2

Sad news ... Heatstroke in Whiteface race

That is sad news. I have had some terrible situations with heat in the past: dizzy, confused, exhaustion, spiked heart rate. It can be scary. I have been fortunate enough to be able to manage them or get in the truck and go home. I feel bad for that runner and his family.

I ran two easy miles this morning. It was pleasant, but it was warm.

QOTD: I will probably get up and run 4 to five miles. Then, I will drink some coffee. The wife and kids are at camp all week, so I may go down and visit my in laws. Or, I may go fishing. But most likely, I will run, drink coffee, and read a book.

LB2

runtraildc

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make it back for a visit, though I'm sad about the circumstances. Prayers to you, the kids and your parents.

Not so relaxing taking care of my parents and arrange their care, especially because the two current caregivers quit on short notice while I was there (I swear I had nothing to do with it  . Sad to leave knowing it is probably the last time I saw them.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

welcome back FTYC, glad you got to see your parents- sorry on their health

4 mile hill work for Tiny E and yesterday evening- about a 4 mile loop, but the first mile gains a little over a 1000’- tip-toe steep!

Will get out this evening for 4-ish miles. Our good weather is coming to an end sadly. We’re going from the low 70’s on Wednesday to the upper 90’s on Friday 

I was really hoping our streak would continue. Unfortunately for you East Coasters (and Midwesters) this heat tends to move west to east 

qotd: this will be our last cool day, so a hike in the mountains if DW wants to go, if not a run in the mountains. We have steaks and lobsters ready to go for supper Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I'll do 5 mi at lunch today. Full sun and about 90 deg I guess.  Perfect running weather.  Then after work I'm going to meet my DW at the gym and spend some quality time with the stair climber.

Couch;  glad to hear that you were able to visit, even though not under the best of circumstances, I hope that you were able to have a few nice moments in there.  It's important.  I went thru the Munich airport 3 days ago we could have had a FE if we planned it better.  Although it would have had to be quick (maybe a chugging contest?) since I only had 55 minutes between flights and had to change terminals and go through immigration during that time - I made the connection thanks to a little ultra-style fast walking.

adkkev;  Really really sad about the runner.  I also feel bad for his family and friends.

qotd: I'll do a long run early then some stuff around the house.  I doubt we'll go see the local town fireworks - soaking in sweat while sitting in a lawn chair isn't too much fun, even with beer - it's too freakin' hot. Although I should add that we're supposed get thunderstorms and rain all day tomorrow.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run this morning...sleep in.  We have smoke.

QOTD:  It's either chores and than fireworks or kayaking and then putting everything away after.  I think I will push for the kayaking.  Either way a run before the day begins.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Really steamy run today.  I did a loop of an old AT section up a climb to the AT.  On the way down, a slight breeze picked up and I felt like the temperature dropped 10 degrees.  That inspired me to add an out and back on an abandoned logging road. It's a section I do a lot, since it's exactly 1 miles out to the dead-end.  I ran the slightly uphill miles out in 8:35 and then the mile back in 7:15.  Fastest mile I've run since being sick.  I was pretty pumped when I looked at my watch.  All in all around 8.5 miles, and 4 pounds.

Sad news ... Heatstroke in Whiteface race

Pretty sad.  I'm sure people will want to blame the RD, but we take on the responsibilities ourselves for these races.  The weather was hot, but 15 miles for a trained runner should not have resulted in death.  There usually is an concurrent health reason in deaths like this, and will never see that answer.

Marie - I am so happy you got home in time to see your parent's. So sorry you had to say goodbye, but years from now, this trip will be priceless.

QOTD:  We're having friends over for a cookout, swimming in the pool, and then we're going to Gettysburg for fireworks.  DW and I had our very first date on July 4th (1980 ), so we always try to make it to fireworks.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

AT - Nice run and fantastic mile!  Good point on the Whiteface tragedy.  Since he was from Merrick, Long Island, which isn't very far from where I do my weekday running, there are not a lot of long steep hills (highest point on LI is 400 ft above sea level), and given we haven't had many days yet above 80 degrees, there's not been much time to adjust both physically and mentally to 90 degree weather.  Whatever underlying condition(s) were there, these factors may have attributed to it.  Very sad though.  I hope it doesn't affect the races in the future.

3/17 - NYC Half

Bert-o

I lost my rama

so we always try to make it to fireworks.

Nice! 

3/17 - NYC Half

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Marie:  It must be very sad to have to say good bye to your parents...  seems like your Pops was doing so good recently.

Berto:  Don't forget the beer.

adkkev:  That's very sad.  Maybe it's a good thing I can't muster through the hard parts of a run.

LB2:  You 4th is missing at least one reference to food or beer.

Warden:  So lobster is a traditional fourth of July food?  What lake do they come out of?

At:  Glad your runs are speeding up.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

just a lucky freezer find- two lobster tails  although in Maine they might be regular 4th fare????

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √