Trailer Trash

My Father's Day Gates of the Mtns Wilderness run (Read 33 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Had a marvelous run yesterday and thought I'd share a few pics.  This was supposed to be a roughly 13-14 mile loop, w/ about 4-5 miles being gravel road.  We missed a turn (unsigned and very faint trail) that turned into about a 17 mile (~ 5000' elevation) out and back.  Sometimes it's OK to miss a turn, this was one of them.  Got us farther into the Wilderness Area and never touched foot to a road Smile

The Gates of the Mountains were named by Lewis and Clark in 1805 when they were traveling up the Missouri on their journey to the west coast.  It was made into a Wilderness Area in 1964.  We saw several elk and deer and lots of bear sign (but no bear).  A large complex of fires in the late 40's consumed a large chunk of territory, including the infamous Mann Gulch Fire which claimed the lives of 13 fire fighters.

We saw several elk and deer and lots of bear sign (but no bears).  The area varied between thick forest, open meadows and stands of burnt timber. A wide variety of wildflowers were on display throughout.   While there were several steep ascents, most of the trail was runnable.  It took us almost 4.5 hours to cover the 17 miles, so it wasn't lightning fast by any stretch Big grin

some bear sign

headed up Hunter's Gulch

a devil's slide

random shots

I was wearing my Osprey Rev 1.5 (that our own Lace had a hand in designing)- excellent pack and now my go to pack for any of my long runs

thanks for looking

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Cool, and thanks for the photos.

You have also answered that age-old question....

tbd.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice run, and great shots. Thanks.

I had a feeling it was true about those bears, now we just gotta figure out the one about

a tree falling......

AT-runner

Tim

I wouldn't mind getting lost there either.  Nice pics.  Are those trees dead from fire damage?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

SheCan

What a beautiful locations for a long Sunday run!  Thank you for sharing!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks for shots!  And by the way you a pulling off the man in capri pretty good (that may be the age old question Sandy is referring to). 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I wouldn't mind getting lost there either.  Nice pics.  Are those trees dead from fire damage?

AT- yup, in places the burn must have been so hot that it sterilized the soil as there are no new trees coming up

Queen- thanks; manpri's?  Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

.Beautiful pics....you are a lucky man to have such beauty surrounding you. And...great manpris. You wear them well!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That looks like a blast...thanks for sharing them, they brightened up my day (spent in the office).

**Ask me about streaking**