Trailer Trash

More Gear Recommendations Please (Read 21 times)

moonlightrunner

Hi. Sorry I have been absent from the dailies. I don't have an opportunity to post at work (hate my job but loving the paycheck).

Anyhoo...

Lights. I usually run with handhelds. Using headlamps make my neck hurt. I will be training and racing with hiking poles, so a handheld will not work. I was looking at waist and chest lights. Anyone ever try them?

Hiking poles: I just saw the very timely QOTD on the subject. I am going to try and train with them...I may need them to help give my legs a break.

Thanks for the advice. Running is going better than it has for a while...very geeked about my race...I can't imagine being able to run it all...but I am hoping.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

I wear a hydration pack, and clip my headlamp onto the chest strap. I hate having a light on my head as it bounces around with your head moment. On my chest, it's always facing forward and I can look to my side without having the light bounce all over. It works well for me and help a bit in preventing that "tunnel vision" than a headlamp can give.

Most headlamps have some way to attach to a strap, and that's how I attach it to my chest strap. I'll move the light up or down depending on any hills.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have nothing on lights. Still trying to figure out what works best for me in that area too.

I recommend looking into Black Diamond z poles.  They fold up and are super light weight.  Some packs have an area that the folded z poles can fit.  I would highly recommend many practice runs with poles (or any new equipment for that matter).  They take some getting used to.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Probably a SRD today.

qotd: I prefer both a headlamp and a handheld.  The different lighting angles make it easy to see bumps, rocks, roots, etc.  Holding a light is another reason why I haven't used poles yet.  At night I usually have a handheld bottle in one hand and a handheld light in the other.

AT thanks for the info, and moonlight, let us know what works for you.  Thanks.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I like two lights as well- one on my head, one on my chest- definitely gives a much better depth perception w/ two lamps- my favorite- Black Diamond Spot- reasonably priced, good water resistance, bright (but adjustable if you need less), lightweight

I agree the Black Diamond z-poles are tough to beat (they fold up and can be easily stashed/deployed from a pack); they have a newer model (in aluminum and carbon) that allows some adjustment for length- this is a pretty nice feature- typically I will shorten them slightly for uphills, lengthen for downhills

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √