Trailer Trash

Thirsty Thursdays... (Read 19 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

will most likely joggy jog later as it is raining and maybe the gym.   Need to buy a flaslight for my race Saturday as it starts at 5am

Qotd: hmmm brain dead here...hey what flashlight do u use?  Is it handheld or head lamp?  I've always used a handheld, I don't like how the headlamp gives you tunnel vision, but I think I should get a headlamp so when running with leashed beasts My hands are free from a flaslight.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

SRD- heading to Glacier right after work, meeting up with NH for a late supper and up early tomorrow which promises to be an epic run.

qotd: I just bought a new Black Diamond Spot headlamp, I've owned several of them, but they keep upgrading them (but the price remains the same). They are now a 300 lumen lamp (or lower if you want), good burn times, lightweight, durable, waterproof and very reasonably priced.  If it's really tricky trail, I'll often run with two lamps- one on my head, one on my chest or waist

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

4 easy miles on gravel logging road. Then explored a bit where some recent logging has just finished. Sadly, the trails in that area are gone and too much debris lays around to reclaim the trails.

Warden and NH - enjoy the run. Looks like DW and I are driving my Subaru to Portland in September for DD#1 to take over.  Then we're flying back. We hope to explore some trails in Montana and maybe some of Glacier.  Mike, I'll PM you when I know more details.

QOTD:  I wear a light attached to the chest strap of my pack. It's a cheap Petzl.  I don't like headlamps since they move with you eyes. I like to be able to look around, yet keep path in front of me illuminated. For our timed races, I use a knuckle light and only turn it on to see the turns.  I rather run in the dark to avoid the tunnel vision. Last year we had a good moon glow helping.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ Tim- sounds good

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran an easy 4 this morning. I have to get back on the long run this weekend, 5 hours on Saturday. Or, I could do back to backs. Either way, I have to do a lot of running this weekend.

QOTD: I have a Black Diamond Storm and another Black Diamond that I recently got on sale. I can't remember the name of that new one. But both are great lights. I don't mind the tunnel vision too much. I'm just trying to grind it out at night anyway. It isn't like I am missing great views. I can see how someone might get some form of claustrophobia from that narrow beam, though. I have used a handheld in races before, but I run with handheld bottles rather than a vest now. Thus, it isn't practical for me to use handheld lights. I do like the fact that handhelds don't seem to cast weird shadows that sometimes freaks me out, but I like my current set up and don't freak out enough to change it.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work so this is a rest day.

Did 7 miles last night. The first 3 miles were good after that my left leg started to hurt. Ended up walking some and hobbling a bunch.  Might have to switch to short 3-5 mile very light runs until my herniated disk works back  into place.

AT-  The new trail/logging road that I was on the other day had seen quite a bit of logging and prescribed burn areas.  They had a sign up saying that the burn areas were going to result in new growth of species like Oak, but it was such a grown up mess that I don't see how any Oak will be able to get up through the mess. It was Game Lands though so it should be good for wildlife.

QOTD:  I have two Princeton Tec head lamps. Main reason I get them is because the local bike shop has them, they've never failed me and they have the bonus of being at least partially make here in the USA.  Actually the only time I use them as a headlamp is if I'm working on something in tight quarters like a vehicle. For running I carry one in my hand. Can't get used to putting one on my head and they end up not working well with my hat.

Sandy-2

10 mi this morning in PERFECT running weather (yes, at 4:30am it was 83 deg and 90% humidity - simply perfect.)

qotd: I also have a newer Black Diamond Spot headlamp, I really like it.  But I also carry a small handheld to have light coming from a different angle to help see the technical stuff.  The handheld I have is from Gander Mountain.  Both of these lights are small and lightweight, but light up the trail pretty well and the batteries will last all night.  I tend to balance lumens vs weight vs battery life, with weight being the key factor.

tbd.

muppy

7.9 miles on the state game lands.

QOTD  I have a couple black diamond rechargeable headlamps.  The one is nice because you can take out the rechargeable batteries and put AAA batteries in.

Gator eye

6 this morning

Queen- don't go cheep, the first ten miles in the dark is one rooty, rock infested SOB! It will probably be your slowest pace of the whole race.

I use a hand held and a headlamp, it gets rid of the tunnle vision and shadows on all those rocks and roots

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ummm I got a black duamond 100 that was uhhh cheap.. $25. ...but I also have a small hand held mag light from the folks so I'll bring both..I got a head lamp and the others were too heavy.

6 this morning

Queen- don't go cheep, the first ten miles in the dark is one rooty, rock infested SOB! It will probably be your slowest pace of the whole race.

I use a hand held and a headlamp, it gets rid of the tunnle vision and shadows on all those rocks and roots

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Planning on 5-ish after work.

QOTD: I use a headlamp (Petzl Tikka) and also a small handheld flashlight (not sure what brand).  Like Gator said, having 2 lights sources eliminates tunnel vision. Better depth perception.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Checking in...late.  Ran 4ish miles this morning.  Busy day at work, then DD soccer practice.

Tomorrow we are taking an end of summer mini vaca.  Just one night (Lancaster).  Kids start school on Monday and wow cannot believe it went that fast.

QOTD: BD Storm but I also have a couple small handhelds that I may use either instead or with the headlamp.  I would love to get a more lightweight headlamp as the BD just feels a bit much over time.  I have heard the petzl brand is very lightweight - is this true?

Have a great night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

The Petzl Tikka is light compared to the first headlamp I ever bought, which was a no-name clunker from Costco. But I don't know how it compares to other headlamps actually designed for running. You can pull up headlamp specs on REI's website, including how much they weigh. I just looked and saw the Tikka is 3 oz. versus BD Storm at 3.9 oz.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR