Trailer Trash

The Thursday (Read 19 times)

Daydreamer1

How does a 24 hour work shift work?

The way it was set up for me was that I started at 8 am on one day and got off at 8 am the next day. All hours are paid. They are very common in fire departments and moderately so in emergency medical services.  Right now I'm working in a rural area so we only get about 3-4 calls a day on average. At about 3 hours to do a call you actually work about 9-12 hours per shift. The rest of the time you just sit around waiting for the pager to go off.  If you manage your time right it's easy to get enough sleep to function. In fact last night I went to sleep at midnight and got up at 7:30 .   If I would switch back to one of the city stations there is no way I could do that many hours, it's simply too busy.

We work 36 hours one week and 48 hours the next. That meant I worked a 12 hours shift on Monday, had off three days, did a 24 on Friday, off Saturday, 24 on Sunday, off two days then finished up with a 24 on Wed. That left me with a lot of 3 and 4 day stretches of time off. That's where the lifestyle considerations come into play.  I could choose to have a lot of free time, or a part time job for some extra money. Now I will have less free time and less time for another job.

One of the other EMS agencies in the area quit scheduling 24's at their rural stations and couldn't fill the schedule so they are going back to them. It's something that a lot of people in this business like.

The 24 hour shift concept is something that people that are accustomed to working 8 hours a day have a difficult time understanding why we like them.  It really comes down to the fact that it allows for a more flexible lifestyle.

LB2

Okay. For some reason I thought you were a crane operator... I don't know where I got that from. But I understand how that works with EMS and Fire Departments. I was just wondering, "How does a crane operator work a 24 hour shift?" No idea where that notion came from. That is a good way to work.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

DS and I often use this quote - "That run really tied the room together."

I'll go find a cash machine.

Daydreamer1

Okay. For some reason I thought you were a crane operator...

Kind of wish I was. From what I've seen and heard it's pretty easy for them to make 6 figures.  Not really very healthy though with all that sitting.

AT-runner

Tim

I'll go find a cash machine.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

All these references to The Big Lebowski reminds me of the time I was pacing my brother at Rocky Raccoon. He was going through a bad patch, and I turned to him and said, "Are you fucking this up, Dude!?!". We had to stop and laugh awhile before we continued onward. He didn't make it, but we'll never forget that part of it.

LB2

Sandy-2

Made it up to PyongChang without any problems, it's an easy drive almost all highway driving.  Gorgeous scenery the whole way.  At the resort area where the S/F is, it's nice in a pre-fab sort of way. It looks a lot like Squaw Valley, but it is all brand new. They're getting ready to host the Olympics here in 2 years. The actual S/F is at the base of the ski jump tower.

Just about to pick up my number and get the gear checked.

qotd: morning is always best for me, too many thing seem to get in the way later. But that doesn't stop me from sleeping some days...

LB2, as I always say, I do my best work after dark.

tbd.