Trailer Trash

Glacial Thursdailes (Read 14 times)

Daydreamer1

Got down to about 9 last night. Probably won't get out of the teens today. Not sure If I'll run or workout inside. Not so much because of the weather, but because I have too much to do. Gotta run some errands. Need some supplies for the welder and some fence posts so I can put burlap around some of out younger plants. The problem with living in the boonies is that it takes a lot of driving sometimes to get things.

If I run it will probably be about 5-6 miles.

QOTD: How long does it take you to get acclimated to cold weather?  How long does it take you to lose that acclimation?

For the next week we are looking at temps in the teens to low 20s for the high. If it stays that way I'll get acclimated to it after about 3-4 days and it could stay that way all winter and it wouldn't bother me too much. But if it warms up for even two days I have to start all over getting acclimated to the cold.

For those of you who run in Altras. Which ones are you using and how do you like them?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Went to the gym last night.  The cold is finally getting to me - or maybe I just wussed out yesterday.  We'll see about tonight.   Going to see Star Wars this afternoon with my boys.  Tomorrow will likely be some snow tubing (Ski Roundtop) - we got season passes.  But all I keep thinking about when there is learning how to ski.  It looks like so much fun.  Anyone here ski?

My 2017 in 2017 team lost in the finals.  So close yet...  On to 2018.

QOTD: See above.  I am good with temps in the 20's and 30's.  Once it gets to the teens but mostly the stupid wind, I can't stand it.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Your weather sounds great in comparison to ours, DD!  High of 2 on Saturday and high of 8 on Sunday.  We're not scheduled to get into the 20s for another 10 days or so.  Stupid winter.

QOTD: I'm not sure I ever get acclimated.  I hate it.    That said, I always suffer through and make it out alive in the spring.

Altras: I'm currently running in the Paradigms on the road, which are some of the best shoes I've ever had.  I love them.  I've been doing hiking in my Timps - haven't gotten to do much running in them.  But they've been good for hiking.  The Olympus are just too tall for trail running.  I feel like my ankles could snap at any moment in those.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

well 13 F felt significantly better than 5, got 5.5 miles in yesterday evening

DD is off this week so she’s been taking Tiny Elvis out earlier in the day- want to make sure he’s getting his miles in 

probably 5-ish again this evening, supposed to be in the high teens; calling for a foot and a half of snow over the next two days in town - that will equate to a lot of snow in the mountains! 

qotd: not sure how long, but it definitely happens- if it’s in the single digits or below, 20’s feel like spring

I ski, just don’t know how 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Damp, grey, windy and cold today.  It's only 40 deg, but with the dampness (currently 85% humidity) it goes right through you.  I plan to run 5 after work again today.

qotd 1: I have no idea, but I think it is easier to acclimate to very cold than to acclimate to very hot. I'm ok in the cold after a few days, but I've been down here for 20 years now and I still can't get used to the heat.

qotd 2: I don't run in Altras. I tried them on once at one of those 'try-on and run' tents at a race, which is a cool idea by the way, but didn't like how they fit.

P.S. DD1, about your close call the other day, I never said it but I'm really glad that it was only the windshield that sustained damage and you and the driver were ok. Too close for comfort.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran in the cold. I was pretty well dressed for the weather and only my nose was frozen. Was 8 degrees with light wind.

I ski, just not as much as before. I was a ski instructor while in college (Ski Liberty). Great job because I got to ski for free at all of their mountains (Windahm, Rountop, Stratton and Whitetail). Lessons were first come first serve for instructors, so I always came late on purpose and didn’t get too many lessons. I taught all my kids to ski before they went to the dark side (boarding).

Altra’s - I wear Lone Peaks most of the time. I use Olympus for long road runs and 24 hr races. Agree with Mandy about Olypuus on trails. Might be ok on non technical trails, but on rocks and roots I like a lower shoe.

QOTD: usually 4-5 really cold runs and I feel used to the cold. My problem is I always forget what layers I use on certain temperature/wind days. That takes me a while to figure out. Today was a good day, and I was dressed well, except needed a neck warmer since the Buff was not blocking any wind today.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

Ran this morning. 6 deg F when I started, a balmy 13 by the time I finished.

Cold acclimation? You don't have to acclimate if you dress warm enough.

I had some Altra Paradigm and had mixed feelings on them. Loved them at first but I kinda never forgot I was wearing them, if that makes sense, and eventually got sick of them. Plus the outsoles wore out really fast. My favorite shoes I just run and don't think about my shoes. Might try some Olympus some time. I liked Hoka Stinson trail shoes a lot and have been running trails in Hoka Bondi just fine, so I don't think the high stack would bother me.

Daydreamer1

Good lord what a frekin' frustrating morning.  Between traffic, jammed stores, the inept placement of items in said stores,  my blood pressure was through the roof.

I was wondering about the current crop of Altras because I just retired my Olympus' with over 700 miles on them. Now my current Bondi's just blew out the upper so that leaves me with a new pair of Bondis and my Speedgoats. I had said that I wouldn't go with Altras again, but now I read that they did change the lineup somewhat.   I didn't mind the Olympus'  on trails except for the fact that the tread sucked.  Hoka has some new stuff out to so gotta look over those a little more.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

sounds like they completely revamped the Speedgoats- reviews have been good; good enough I’m tempted

I have some older Olympus’s that I got cheap, fair shoe at best, but they certainly could have gotten better

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Back from Christmas in Florida to 16 degree temps on my run today. 8.3 miles

qotd: I'm not sure acclimation to cold is even possible. I think it's more a matter of becoming inured to it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Heading home from the beach..DH and I got in a few 4 mikers.

Jamie:  skiing was my kife growing up.  Then took up snowboarding with the DH.  We don't go often enough.  He only wants to go when there is fresh powder.

qotd: ?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

It was up to 11 today, but I didn't run at all. Did some family stuff, including taking care of the family's 15 yo sick springer. Some Meds and hydration set him back to normal, which is more like a fiesty 8 yo springer.

might end up taking the rest of the year off-

Cold acclimation? You don't have to acclimate if you dress warm enough.

+1. And that has been my issue this trip, leaving some key layers at home for the sake of packing light(er).