Trailer Trash

Fogged in Wednesdaily (Read 20 times)

NHLA

7 miles yesterday.  Rest day today.

Qotd  worst drivers and bad roads. So many blind curves.

Sandy-2

With that said, I hope Gettysburg doesn't become the latest Battleground for monument removal.  People are making waves for National Park Service to remove all Confederate monuments and both sides are heating up.    NPS released a statement yesterday saying they will not remove any monuments because this is historical ground and the monuments depict both sides of the battle.

AT I'll chime in on this...  I think that locals should be able to vote on the status of confederate monuments in their public parks and buildings (I'd vote for removal, but would of course go with the result of the vote.  But I'd think twice about whether I'd want to continue to live there if the vote was to keep them).  However I also think the monuments should be put in some museum or other educational place because history should not be erased or forgotten (there's that whole destine to repeat itself if forgotten thing).  In the case of Gettysburg, I've never been there but I would think that it would fall under my "museum or other educational place" category and both sides should be depicted.    . . . . Just my 2 cents.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

AT I'll chime in on this...  I think that locals should be able to vote on the status of confederate monuments in their public parks and buildings (I'd vote for removal, but would of course go with the result of the vote.  But I'd think twice about whether I'd want to continue to live there if the vote was to keep them).  However I also think the monuments should be put in some museum or other educational place because history should not be erased or forgotten (there's that whole destine to repeat itself if forgotten thing).  In the case of Gettysburg, I've never been there but I would think that it would fall under my "museum or other educational place" category and both sides should be depicted.    . . . . Just my 2 cents.

The NPS does what they want regardless of the town so if they say they stay, they stay.

I agree with your educational comment. What better place to learn about the civil war and it's cost of human lives, than Gettysburg.  I would vote to take down all the monuments (North and South), because I feel some are so large and obstructive that they take away from seeing what the land looked like.  They can  replace them with small markers, so when you walk the area you have a good view of what it looked like in 1863.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With that said, I hope Gettysburg doesn't become the latest Battleground for monument removal.  People are making waves for National Park Service to remove all Confederate monuments and both sides are heating up.    NPS released a statement yesterday saying they will not remove any monuments because this is historical ground and the monuments depict both sides of the battle.

I've been expecting this type of reaction. I hope the NPS stands its ground at Gettysburg and other Civil War battlefields.

12 x 400m, 200 m recovery, avg 2:42, 10:52 pace

qotd: I don't run on the roads if I can avoid it. Drivers around here are too involved with their cell phones or in too much of a hurry to get where they are going to pay any attention to cyclists and pedestrians. I do almost all my non-trail running in parks or the Immaculata U campus.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

When are we going to remove all the statutes and such that commemorate the Generals and Soldiers, including the buffalo soldiers, who forcibly removed the American Indian from their rightful lands that they had lived on and used for thousands of years. Some of the "heroes" like Sherman and Sheridan, committed nothing less then   genocide and were responsible for almost wiping out the buffalo, all to deprive the rightful owners of the land their sustenance thereby starving many totally innocent children.

Oh history and it's inconvenient truths.  If we just let it be, would quit trying to rewrite it, and just frikin learn from it we might be better off.

Just sayin.

PS: Sorry for maybe sounding political I'll try to behave better tomorrow .

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I arrived in Michigan yesterday very hungry and thirsty.  I ate with my famiky and proceeded to drinking and visiting with family the rest of the night.  Me and my brother from FL slept under the stars...until the rain came.  No running involved.  

Qotd:  I only run on the road fir about a qarter mile where the road named Rattlesnake is the snakiest.  So I don't leave it up to the drivers...I stopp and pull the dogs as far off the road as possible. Most wave to me.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄