Trailer Trash

Pay Day Thursdaily (Read 20 times)

Keep Going

Squeezed 6 miles in at my local state park Nockamixon in Southeast Pa last night. It's mainly heavily used mountain bike trails and don't think they really like runners. At least some of them seem to give me the stare. But I love when they pass me all speedy and a mile later I catch them as they are pulled over taking a breather.   Don't poke the ultrarunner!

qotd: I used to love running in cold weather. I often fancy myself a cold weather runner. But that's changed for some reason. I now prefer the warmth and dare I say heat! I don't get it. Maybe it's because the heat makes you limber and loose? I don't know. The cold makes you feel stiff and old! haha

100 milers are my favorite

NorthernHarrier

Made the decision last night to give my notice where I work. I'll work another week or so then off to Ontario for a couple weeks then Utah for 10 days and then start looking for another job when I get home. It's time to move on again.   Quite liberating actually.

A little chilly here right now in the mid thirties but heading to the low 50's. Great day to puttz outside. Some work then a 5-6 mile trail run, a little more work then a couple hours mtn. biking. keystone- some of us mtn bikers are runners, .

QOTD--Not sure where the question is or was but the temps I'm having today are just perfect for my outdoor pursuits. I can feel stiff and plenty old whether it's cold or not.

XtremeTaper

8+ miles for me last night on the trails of Coventry Woods. A smidgeon to cool for late April but nice enough. Today will be the planet of fitness at noon for strength routine, and from the sounds of it a wet 8 somewhere on the trails this evening. I am on the 8 mile plan this week.

QOTD: I can tolerate cold weather running, enjoy it enough once I am used to it, but REAL cold weather like teens or single digits I don't like too much. Thankfully winter here is mostly 20's and 30's. I wear shorts all winter long so that makes it sort of fun when you run into winter hikers or other runners. But give me the springtime and early summer months. They are the best.

Keystone - Mountain bikers in my area (French Creek, Green Lane) seem pretty cool for the most part. That said I always look forward to one passing me just before a big hill. I set my sights to reel them in during the climb.

Harrier - You are living the life!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Keystone - Mountain bikers in my area (French Creek, Green Lane) seem pretty cool for the most part. That said I always look forward to one passing me just before a big hill. I set my sights to reel them in during the climb.

Sunday night I was mtn. biking and did a steep climb thru a boulder garden of soccer ball sized rocks the entire climb. I was determined to complete it and was in my granny gear climbing at the slowest speed possible without tipping over. I would have been easily passed by an outing from an assisted living home. I had to stop once on top just to grab a few bites of oxygen. A whole different type of fun but when I'm running I'm just like you in wanting to take them out on the climbs.

As far as getting the look while running from bikers the only time that has ever happened to me around our state is when I ran thru a bike club out doing trail work on the local trail I run and bike east of Madison. If looks could kill....   For the most part around this area it is always very friendly.

Gator eye

We squeezed in 10 this morning in front of a cold rain

QOTD: I guess I'm a cold weather runner mostly because of the area I live and the time of day I run. That first 70 degree run hits me like a ton of bricks

muppy

5.1 mostly  trail miles yesterday.

NH, congratulations  on quitting your job!

QOTD I'm definitely a cold-weather running. Anything over 55° is too hot for me, but I'm just a big fat sweaty guy.

runtraildc

Hi everyone.  Was ready to head out the door and then the rain picked up.  I like running in the (light) rain, but this is a downpour and is expected to last a while.  Well, we needed rain so I'm not going to complain.  Yoga at lunch instead.  Maybe I'll fit in a run today, but maybe not.

NH- good for you-- don't let work get in the way of life!

qotd:  Being from MN and living in DC, I've learned to adjust to the spectrum and it's all fine.  Really, the weather I dislike the most is wind.  Ideal running weather?  Today (mid 50s) but with sun or light rain.  and no wind.

NHLA

6 miles around the mt.

There are a few trails here that are bike playgrounds. When I run them I wish I had a bike.

qotd  I like the heat. I can run a good 5k at 96 degrees but not a 10k. Summertime is cross country time for me.

We have a cross country series 7 races for $50 or $10 each. Even if you run like crap it didn't cost much.

When it gets below 27 degrees I don't run.

Birdwell

Made the decision last night to give my notice where I work. I'll work another week or so then off to Ontario for a couple weeks then Utah for 10 days 

What part? (asks the guy who still lives in Utah)

Oh, and Hi everybody!

AT-runner

Tim

Long run today with the last hour in poring down cold rain. Checked the radar and forecast early this morning and it wasn't supposed to rain until 11.  Mother Nature had other plans and I cut my 20 miler to 18 because I was getting really cold and wet.  As much as I shivered, I'm sure I burned the same calories as a 20 miler.  My fingers were blue when I was done.

Birwell  - Nice to hear from you.  How's Baby Bird doing?

When I grow up, I want to be NH!  Congrats n being unemployed again. Sounds like a great month or so coming up for you.

QOTD:  Ideal running weather mid to upper 50's.  I do better in cold than hot weather.  Hot weather slows me down quickly, and agree the first run each year in the heat is the worst.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Still having trouble getting out of bed in the morning so that leaves me to run after work.  Gym at lunch for core.  Ran 5.8 last night..if you didn't see and are bored at work I posted a link in yesterdays daily of a Mt Bike race being held on my trails..oh hell here it is. https://soulid.me/sharing/video/cdf1ec778bfc642636c5f66503fe1845  Wish they had more of the trails on it.  But the beginning picture from above shows the view I get kinda of when I which the top of the hill 1.70 miles from home.  Although all these people may look like a nightmare to you and I, I never see anyone in the mornings and only a occasionally run into someone in the afternoon.

QOTD: I used to be the run at noon in So Cal so it was HOT!  I do not mind the heat but prefer 60 and sunny.

Northern:  Can't wait until the time I can come and go on a job as I please. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Hey, there's a Birdwell sighting down below!!! Nice to hear that you're still alive and kicking.

Kind of damp and raining lightly here, but that's OK, it's been dry around here.  Planning on trying for 7-8 miles later this evening.

NH - I look forward to the day I can work when I want to and travel when I want. Gotta say, I'm very jealous .

Keystone - Most of  the mtn bikers that I see are pretty nice. Some are very talkative, others not so much.  Now the horse people are a different story. Sometimes they are OK, other times if I tripped and fell they'd ride right over me.

QOTD:  I tend to like the heat a little more than I used to. I think it's mostly in my head, because once I get moving in the cold I don't mind it as long as I keep my knees warm.  I think the cold makes the synovial fluid in my joints thick or something. Anything below 45 and I have to wear something that protects my knees.  This past year I ran once when it was approaching or in the single digits.

NorthernHarrier

What part? (asks the guy who still lives in Utah)

Oh, and Hi everybody!

Thanks for the comments everyone. 

Birdwell--Great to hear from you!  I'll be spending some time helping my daughter and her boyfriend move to the SLC area (Sandy, Lehi, area) and then my hope is to have enough time to explore the Escalante/Grand Staircase area and possibly some other spots depending on time and money.   I know you posted some pretty cool looking spots you've been to in the past so it would be great if you have any additional recommendations. Thanks!

Birdwell

Baby Bird is doing great. He turned two last week.

NH, I haven't made it out to the Escalante region yet. The current family summer plans call for a few trips to the area to explore some slot canyons (Zebra, Neon, etc. everything off the Hole in the Rock road), an overnight to  lower Calf Creek falls and a trip to Goblin Valley.

We've had a very wet spring so far so that area should be gorgeous in 3 or 4 weeks as everything starts to bloom.