Trailer Trash

Eat your Veggies Tuesdailies (Read 15 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Planning 7 on easy trail this evening.

QOTD:  What's your favorite veggie(s)?

Tough question to answer, but this time of year, I can't wait for the local NY upstate corn to grow and be harvested.  I'll go to farm stands right next to the corn fields.  So sweet, and since the soil isn't over-worked, the corn has much more flavor and nutrients in them.  However, I'd have to say corn from Maryland is sweeter.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

6 miles in some nice weather. Felt a bit sluggish from the start, so took it easy.  Was hoping for double that, but wasn't feeling it, so I did what the day gave me.

QOTD:  Bert, I had my answer before I read your answer.  Silver Queen corn, from the Eastern Shore of MD.  Grew up on that stuff, and when I was young, it was probably the only veggie I would eat.  Some local farms in PA try to grow it, but without the sandy soil, it's just not the same.  We always stop and pick up a bunch of it when we pass trough the Eastern Shore.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Rest day, seem to be getting a lot of those in lately

QOTD: Asparagus cut from my back yard

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 3.5 with the dogs this morning...

QOTD:  Corn on the cob....asparagus out of Gator's backyard sounds good too.    Love the later smell and always amazed at how quickly it comes.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for a bike ride. Probably about 30 miles with DW.

QOTD:  Logged in to log my miles in the training log and seen the QOTD so I just had to chime in.  If we are just discussing fresh summer veggies then it's between cantalope and sweet corn.  Now on the origin of the sweet corn is where I have to become argumentative . Some of the best corn I've tasted came out of Gold PA.  That stuff was delicious especially if you could get it when it was too young for the cannery yet.

Back when I had my  trucks we would haul sweet corn into Cope's cannery in Rheems Pa.  We'd start in North Carolina and head up the coast pulling a lot out of Virginia and of course the Eastern Shore.  The Shore corn was OK as was the stuff out of Jersey. The central PA corn was hit or miss on flavor, and the Western NY corn was decent. But that stuff from down in Gold .  I just loved it.  The one field guy from the cannery said it was because the nights were so cool up there. It took them 120 days to grow 90 day corn. He claimed that was what made it so sweet.  No idea what variety it was and if you got it when it was ready to be picked for cannery purposes then it was starting to get too hard and it started to lose it's flavor.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Love the later smell and always amazed at how quickly it comes.

AT - Glad to see you getting miles in, even if not what's planned for the day.  RE: Corn, they say brilliant minds think alike. 

Gator - Asparagus was second on my list for this time of year.  Love grilling it in the summer with the meat du jour.

Dreamer - I had to look up where Gold PA was.  Cool story, and a pretty nifty pocket of nowhere.

3/17 - NYC Half

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

5 last night, possibly another 5 tonight.  I forgot how much I hate preparing to go on vacation.  I wish I could just pack and go but I am a planner.  I spent last night trying to figure out how we can get 5 bikes on the back of our van.  Well 4 bikes and then one needs to be in.  They have to go together just right on the bike rack otherwise they do not fit. The countdown is on.  5 days...

QOTD: Potatoes.  Technically they are a veggie.  But I love me some sweet corn on the cob too.  Cucumbers with salt.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Treated myself to a long lunch and 6 miles on the trails of Coventry Woods. Decent enough run, not too fast, not too slow. Pleasant summer day for a shirtless run. Close to 80 with low humidity. Saw several deer scatter in the woods along with dozens or more crazed squirrels.

QOTD: Hops. Is that a vegetable or flower? I will choose it regardless since fresh corn on the cob has been taken by everyone.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

GC100k

2 hours on a rail trail in the cool morning. Very nice. Then assaulted an Indian buffet. Super yum.

QOTD: Is bacon a vegetable?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Cucumbers with salt.

Hmm, I never tried this.  I'll have to give it a shot.  But it also reminded me of luscious Jersey tomatoes with salt.  Yummo!  Technically, a tomato is a fruit; however, in Nix v. Hedden, the Supreme Court said it was a veggie, so it's my constitutional right to call it a veggie. 

XT - I vote hops is also a veggie.... in liquid form, of cou.

GC - I believe bacon is its own food group, but a BLT makes it 2/3rds veggie, so I'll count it as such.

3/17 - NYC Half

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert beat me to Queen’s post  Smile

3.5 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday evening, something similar this evening

qotd: I think corn is a grain  but tough to beat I’ll agree

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

You are right...real tomatoes are so yummy..

Hmm, I never tried this.  I'll have to give it a shot.  But it also reminded me of luscious Jersey tomatoes with salt.  Yummo!  Technically, a tomato is a fruit; however, in Nix v. Hedden, the Supreme Court said it was a veggie, so it's my constitutional right to call it a veggie. 

XT - I vote hops is also a veggie.... in liquid form, of cou.

GC - I believe bacon is its own food group, but a BLT makes it 2/3rds veggie, so I'll count it as such.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄