Trailer Trash

Wildlife Dilemma (Read 27 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I stumbled across a dilemma that is evolving in Germany.

Just out of curiosity, knowing that there are major cultural differences between Germany and America in matters of nature, nature conservation, and animals in general, I thought I'd bring this up here to get more insights and your opinions on this.

Ages ago, there were wolves in the German forests, but they were diminished and eventually disappeared in the 19th century or so.

About 20 or 30 years ago, wolves were re-introduced in Germany, and they developed well. They do not really see a huge increase in numbers, but the population in growing slowly and steadily, and wolves in general are still rare there.

Occasionally there are complaints, mainly from farmers, about the wolves hunting and killing sheep, calves, rabbits, chickens, etc., but overall the wolves are accepted.

Now it happened that one of the female wolves had a litter of dog/wolf hybrids. None of these have been caught yet, but according to sightings, they seem to be Border Collie/wolf mixes (some experts say so).

And this is where the dilemma starts.

The hybrids are now about 6 months old and have lived in the wild with the wolf pack. They do not show any strikingly different behaviors or have attacked humans. They just live with the wolves.

On a side note, it is very rare that a wolf mates with a dog, so this is probably not going to happen often.

The nature conservation authority now wants to eliminate the hybrids because they are considered an invasive species and will genetically alter the wolf population (which was carefully chosen during re-introduction) in an undesired way. There are also concerns that the hybrids will promote further mating with dogs and closer contact with humans. (This is not a sure thing, because, according to some studies, wolf/dog hybrids are very shy and cautious and avoid contact with humans or dogs even more than purebred wolves, but the evidence is very rare and controversial).

The usual way of accomplishing elimination is to send out trained hunters and shoot the invasive animals.

This is where now the animal rights groups, and with them a fair share of the German people, come in.

They take issue with shooting the hybrids. If killing them, they should be caught and euthanized. But it is cruel and not right to kill an animal for just living where it lives. The hybrids should therefore be caught and kept in a sanctuary.

Nature conservation authority now states that keeping wolves, or wolf hybrids, in captivity is against the animals' nature and not in the best interest of the animals. They suffer because they cannot be provided with a habitat that would fit their needs. (It is not common in Germany to fence off a large piece of land for a sanctuary, Germany is too highly populated and there are communities everywhere which makes this almost impossible).

The hybrids are also not fit for being kept as pets, as they have lived as wild animals and never been socialized.

Catch, spay/neuter, release is not considered a viable option because of the altered behavior of the animals and concerns that they would then be killed by the pack.

Your ideas on this?

Run for fun.

paul2432

One option I don't see is capturing the hybrids, sterilizing them, and releasing them back to the wild to live out their lives.  I don't know if that is viable, but seems like it would address the concern of further wolf-dog interbreeding and keep the animal rights activists happy.  (oops, just saw I missed this at the end of your post).

Obviously, if the pups show signs of being a threat to the local population, than public safety needs to take priority.

The authorities should also educate dog owners that live near wolf populations about their responsibilities to keep their pets away from wolves (and probably neuter/spay their dogs so this doesn't happen if they do mix).

GC100k

Your ideas on this?

Shoot them. That's the only reasonable decision. It's sad for the animals, but if they're going to maintain the introduced wolf population, you gotta get rid of the hybrids and shooting them is the best way. It's not a petting zoo. People will complain, but they'll get over it.

LB2

Shoot them. That's the only reasonable decision. It's sad for the animals, but if they're going to maintain the introduced wolf population, you gotta get rid of the hybrids and shooting them is the best way. It's not a petting zoo. People will complain, but they'll get over it.

I agree. I don't necessarily agree with the original introduction, but that is another debate.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Since the beginning of time man has been managing the animals (probably would be more PC to say for thousands of years depending on your view points on how we arrived here but whatever).  It's no different now. We are at the top of the food chain and life is not always fair and is most always violent or tough in some way.  For example, the bunnies in my back yard are protected by me shooting the groundhogs that chase them out from under my buildings. The bunnies then have plenty of time for activities like breeding, because I altered the balance of nature. Then there becomes so many of them that they die of disease, or get viciously killed by a hawk looking for breakfast .

So my opinion is that they consider which way they want it. Total evolution which would be allowing the hybrids to live and breed and therefore change the genetic pool or keep the genetic pool clean which would mean shooting the hybrids.   Either way has ramifications, they have to simply realize that.  I hate it when people agonize too much over decisions like this.

My personal way of handling it would be to get rid of the hybrids. I see too many of the problems that we have in this country dealing with invasive species and the damage those species do.  In the end it comes down to the fact that mankind is at the top and  therefore it's our job to manage the wildlife appropriately.  I would want to make sure that the animal is euthanized in a humane way of course, which for me, would mean hunting them, rather then live trapping them to hold in a cage, scared and miserable, until gassed or held down and shot up with drugs.

FWIW, I've talked to several people who are pretty knowledgeable outdoorsman. They claim to be seeing more large "coyotes" in their areas and are quite convinced that there is some crossbreeding going on with the dogs. Seeing that there are coy-dogs in the west, it is plausible. At the same time they report that these animals are less scared of humans and appear to be more aggressive then what they have been used to seeing. Sometimes hybrids are good, sometimes not.

AT-runner

Tim

In cases like these, I always defer to the experts, and it looks like removing the hybrids is what they advise.  Counter opinions always make it look like the experts don't care, but it's their job and they have the education and experience to make the decisions.  It's easy to sit at home and play arm-chair biologist.

On Assateague Island, VA, the NPS posted that they found a wild pony in distress stuck in a salty mud area. The pony had lost considerable weight and couldn't walk after being removed from the mud. The veterinarians advised putting the pony down, and they did.  People are going nuts about why didn't they save the pony and the NPS response was very precise in saying these are WILD ponies and the NPS's job is to manage and protect their safety while trying not to interfere with the ponies natural existence. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

For the greater good of the species, I would think the best thing to do would be to eliminate them. I could see this causing issues and future generations and getting away from the pure Wolf.

AT,  I saw that also about the horse and that was the most humane thing to do. I don’t understand why people think they should give it all this veterinarian care when it is a wild animal.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

defer to the experts is good advice; their decisions don't come about in a vacuum- if they haven't already, do some educational outreach via media and public meetings

the more people understand the issues and reasoning behind the decisions  vs their emotions, the better off wildlife will be

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √