Trailer Trash

Last Day of Summer Daily (Read 23 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Not sorry to see Summer go, now I just need the humidity and heat to go away. Supposed to be 88* and humid today and average temp for the day is 74*.  Weekend looks like finally some average temperatures.

Lunch staff meeting today, so will either run with the beer runners or solo tonight.  Less calories if I run solo.

QOTD:  I know we have a lot of readers, so what genre of books do you usually  look for, and do you read on an e-reader or actual book?  I'm into mysteries lately and have used a Kindle for several years now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I ran an easy, little 2.15 loop this morning. I'm just trying to stay consistent and didn't have much time.

QOTD: I have really been getting into the Longmire series by Craig Johnson lately (Mystery/Crime). I finished "Hell is Empty" on Sunday, and I started "Death Without Company" on Sunday night. Johnson's character development, imagery, and dialogue draw me in immediately. I love Wyoming; I think it may be the most beautiful place I have ever been. I need to run Big Horn. I prefer to have an actual book in my hand, but I read quite a few books on Kindle, too. I just grabbed these last two books from the local library, though.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think our summer was over about two weeks ago   only mid 50's for a high today (and rain).  Well I was supposed to run yesterday after work, went into to change put my shorts, shirt, socks on only to discover I hadn't brought my shoes!   So it will be take two this afternoon, this time shoes are in (as well as my wind/rain shell).

qotd: I just finished watching the Last Kingdom on Netflix (800-ish AD in what is now England- lots of separate kingdoms- Saxons, Britons and an ever increasing invasion of Vikings) and saw that it was based on a series of books, so I'm going to try and pick those up- the show was very good, my guess is the books will be better

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

I will sort of miss summer, but mostly due to the shorter days of fall. I can't say we had too many typical summer days this season.. meaning 80's as high. Every day seemed to be 90+ with humidity once July hit.

Run last night was 7 miles with the Lady on the easy side of the lake. Still about 80 degrees in the evening when we started but it felt comfortable I suppose due to the low sun angle. Sunset was just after we finished. Gorgeous red streaks of high clouds in the sky last night. Tonight, 7 or 8 at Coventry Woods trails. I need a trail fix tonight as with family visiting this week I may be time pressed and be forced into some road miles. Good practice for the dark season.

QOTD: Mysteries or sci-fi. I have not read much new lately. Like Michael Connelly's books set in LA, especially the Bosch detective stories. Amazon made that a series that was pretty good though it jumped around several stories per season and not quite the same flow.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Finally a little cooler and getting a good bit of rain. The only problem is we are sitting close to the beach in Kitty Hawk .  Wind must be hitting into the low 20s. Getting ready to head down on the beach for a nice walk along the shore.

QOTD: Recently read some westerns by Louis L'Amour.  I tend to read too much on the internet.

some call me Tim

I'll get in 5-7 in later on today, for now buttoning up a few projects and starting a couple as well. I've got a friend launching a trophy/award/customization business and another starting a race timing outfit and I'm doing some web development for them. Nice to have business picking up again.

I'll still miss summer some, but there's a lot to leave gratefully behind. Here's your theme song for the day, the closing track from my summer album this year. Weezer finally delivered a proper followup to the blue album, 20 years after.

"I just want this summer to end..."

qotd: No new stuff lately, though I did go back recently and reread A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I don't usually go back, but there are a few exceptions to that- books that address the big questions by way of narrative (bonus points for dystopian nightmare setting). Here's one of my favorite lines from AHOWSG. Breathe deep, y'all, and have a good day.

"And we will be ready, at the end of every day will be ready, will not say no to anything, will try to stay awake while everyone is sleeping, will not sleep, will make the shoes with the elves, will breathe deeply all the time, breathe in the air full of glass and nails and blood, will breathe it and drink it, so rich, so when it comes we will not be angry, will be content, tired enough to go, gratefully, will shake hands with everyone, bye, bye, and then pack a bag, some snacks, and go to the volcano-"

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: Mysteries or sci-fi. I have not read much new lately. 

Sci-fi is my second pick right now. Amazon had recommended that I might like to read Sara King, and  i just read the first 2 books of Outer Bounds series.  She lives off grid in Alaska and writes sci-fi. I found that interesting.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

It was still about 94 deg when I ran my 5 after work yesterday, and then it was about 74 deg when I ran my 5 this morning.  Certainly more humid this morning but I was soaked doing both runs.  Last day of summer indeed, I think we'll have another month before it starts getting "cool" here.

qotd: I read all sorts of stuff, but I do tend to go for trashy "action" type stuff (Baldacci, Grisham, Grippando,etc.) Although right now I'm reading "Longitude", Dava Sobel.  I prefer to read 'real' books, but I'm using the Kindle app on my phone at the moment since that was much easier to get book when we were in Korea.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Heading out for 2+ miles. Still nice and cool, but we are expecting a few more hot days before it should cool down. Sounds good to me.

QOTD: True crime if it is well researched and written. I also like history books and biographies. I use both, nook reader and real books, but have been holding more real books in my hands lately because I get them from the local library. Our library has electronic downloads, too, though, but when I'm there, I just like to browse through the pages before making my selection.

Run for fun.

muppy

7.4 slow sluggish miles on the rail trail yesterday.

I'm also ready for the heat and humidity to go, it's getting old!

QOTD  I guess I like the "trashy action"stuff.  David Baldacci,  Michael Connelly, Vince Flynn (not really liking the new writer for the Mitch Rapp series)  and I am embarrassed to say I really like Janet Evanovich.

runtraildc

Got in 4 miles last night as the sun was setting. It was a pretty sunset here, too, but dark at 7:30.  Did not like that.  I'll get in a mile or two later. Just finished moving several cu yards of compost so that was my real workout for the day.

qotd: fiction. Am reading LaRose by Louise Erdrich, one of my favorite authors.  It's going slowly, but not because it's not a good book, just dense (many intertwined characters and plots to keep track of).  And always a real book- I like the feel of it in my hands

NHLA

6 miles on Echp Mt. Nice morning.

qotd  mostly who done its.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Probably will only walk tonight. Definitely not up for intervals with my club.

QOTD: favorite genre is sci-fi and fantasy. Leaning more toward fantasy nowadays instead of hard sci-fi. Have also been reading a lot of action/thriller books, e.g. by Dan Brown, James Rollins, Steve Berry. Prefer a real book which means a trip to the library and hope what I want doesn't have a 400 person waiting list. I have a Nook and use that as well. Much more convenient when traveling than to lug 2-3 books with me as I try to get by with carry-on only.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.