Trailer Trash

Wicked Wednesday (Read 18 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have been screwed up by Labor Day and thinking yesterday all day was Monday. So it's good to realize that today is truly Wednesday.  I may run tonight but won't be destroyed if I don't.

QOTD: Have you fired a gun? Been shot? Been shot at?

No, no, and not that I know of.  So why did I ask the question? I was running Sunday on the AT and there is a gun range nearby.  It was interesting listening to two very different guns.  One barely sounded louder than a pellet gun while the other was booming.  But I don't know guns so I have no clue as to what they could have been.

But it reminded me of a race I did back in 2011 - a 32 mile trail race in Western Maryland.  Towards the end of the race, another runner and I heard gun shots and we were getting eerily closer.  After getting really close, we realized it was someone shooting on their own property.  A bit scary because we did not know what direction they were shooting.  It was most likely shot gun blasts.  But soon after passing the property, we heard an automatic weapon...and very loud.  The other runner and I literally jumped in the air and both of us decided to run a bit faster.  

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good run last evening, temps in the mid 60's; going to try and get 5-ish in this evening- nice weather continues- high of 70 today

qotd: lots (and lots), a firearms instructor for 20+ years and counting- thankfully no (well actually yes, took a couple of bird shot in some thick cover from a "friend" that drew blood); I've had a few rounds zing over my head while hunting and working, but nothing intentional, does get your immediate attention though!  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Planning on doing 6-7 mile, probably later this evening. The heat returned yesterday afternoon. My 5 miles was a miserable slog.

Warden - We knew you had connections but you didn't tell us you knew and hunted with Dick Cheney

QOTD: Yes, No, Maybe but most likely not.

When I was doing a lot of biking I used to say there was only two things that you couldn't have enough of, bikes and guns. Since hanging out with you characters I've added one other thing to that list......running shoes !!!!

I've been shooting on a regular basis since I was about 6-7 years old. First just target practice then hunting. I own everything from a real small handgun,  to shotguns, deer rifles and a AR-15.  I don't shoot as much as I would like to. If I had the time and money I would love to get into trap and skeet shooting and just do a lot more general shooting with the AR-15. The problem is time and money. When you empty a 30 round clip in 30-45 seconds it's fun but can cost anywhere $6-18 depending on the type of ammo.  The loudness of a gun is not always indicative of the size. A lot goes into the barrel length and other factors.  DS and I were shooting our AR-15s several days ago. While not as powerful as our hunting rifles they are much louder. I never shoot those things without hearing protection. Same thing for my small handgun. It only has a 2-3 inch barrel and the first time I shot it my ears rang for two days .

Never been shot. One time we did have some pellets fall out of the sky from some other hunters while hunting pheasants.  If they would have hit us it would have been kind of like getting struck by some sleet. I don't really worry about getting shot when running by a shooting range. Most of those people are safety minded. one of the reasons I don't get into turkey hunting is because for some reason there are a lot of shooting accidents involving turkey hunters here in PA.

Many years ago I was trying to take care of a guy that had gotten his butt kicked in the one city I was working in. A rather chaotic scene and while we were trying to get him loaded into the ambulance someone decided to pop off a few rounds behind the house we were in front of. Of course so of my colleagues tried to make it out to be a big deal. Those of us with cooler heads pointed out that it was most likely a diversionary tactic and not shooting at us.

dpc3

Dragging arse today so got in a quick 3 with Pearl. Need to rest up for a long run Friday and Sat before leaving for Idaho on Sunday. Have a good day all.

QOTD: Yes (I hunt), been peppered while hunting (Dove and Duck), not intentionally.

AT-runner

Tim

Was going to run over lunch, but pretty steamy here right now, so maybe some miles tonight.

Jamie - where were you running?  MIchaux is opening their range sometime soon (1/2 mile East of AT above Caledonia). It's been closed for 3-4 years because people were using assault weapons up there.  Now they have video capabilities to check on usage.

QOTD:  Yes, fired a few different guns. No and No.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

miscalculated the returning heat yesterday and got in 3 miles with a friend.  It was 90* and miserable (except for the catching up with the friend, who thankfully did a lot of talking since I couldn't).  Legs were tired, too. Although my miles are really low, this running every day takes its toll the first 2-3 weeks while my body adjusts.

qotd: yes- even though I grew up with hunters, never actually touched a gun (rifle) until last year. BIL took us down to the local quarry for shooting practice.  Never been on the receiving end.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Was going to run over lunch, but pretty steamy here right now, so maybe some miles tonight.

Jamie - where were you running?  MIchaux is opening their range sometime soon (1/2 mile East of AT above Caledonia). It's been closed for 3-4 years because people were using assault weapons up there.  Now they have video capabilities to check on usage.

QOTD:  Yes, fired a few different guns. No and No.

I started at the Trindle Rd crossing and headed south past Boiling Springs.  The range is real close to Trindle.  It is between that and the next Rd (Ridge Rd maybe??).  The range is definitely close to the trail but I am fairly confident it is facing a different direction although I suppose someone could have some fun trying to put holes in the thru-hikers packs.

BTW - did you see that someone is putting on a new trail race at Caledonia in October? It's half marathon distance I think and maybe a 5k.   Depending on how I feel after OC, I might look into it.

edit: here it is https://www.atcp.org/DifferenceintheDirt

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Umm no run this morning and no excuse...was planning to run with the group after work but the old man asked me to help clean a car so he can put it up for sale this weekend.   so may make it a lunch run.

QOTD:  I have fired a gun.  Not really into it though.  Been shot at, yes but not intentionally.  They were shooting at our truck and we were sleeping in the back. .  Never been shot.

Since I attempted to humiliate AT yesterday I thought I would share this picture with you.  I wanted a punk rock hairdo but ended up with a Mullet!  That's what you get for trying to get a punk rock cut living in the U.P.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Sue, I was saving a picture for your birthday, on Saturday, but since you revealed your mullet, I can pass.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

Wow, I am enjoying these old pics (and belated congrats to you, Tim)! I'll get in 6 or 7 myself in a bit here. Back to hot and humid, as Jamie mentioned a few days back. First day of school for the kiddos so I am catching up on some stuff that needs doing around here. I also knitted a hat.. never did that before, but it turned out nice. This is very much who I am- I think, for instance, what if I knit hats for all the folks that enter my race? How many hours would that be? No idea, but one way to find out...

Turns out it's about 100 hours if it fills up, but I dunno, that might be doable over the next month.

qotd: Yes, no, no. We target shot with 22 rifles in Boy Scouts, and I've done target practice with various shotguns, but that's about it. No handguns. There was an old 20 gauge in there that was super fun.

Sandy-2

I actually got up early this morning and did 4 miles.  Very hot and humid. Saw an armadillo this morning, but didn't have my phone (camera) - darn !!

qotd: Yes (just target shooting with a .22 rifle), no and no.

tbd.

LB2

I ran a quickie this morning, not far, but pretty fast.

QOTD: Lord yes. I have been around guns my whole life.

I have been peppered by my game hog uncle (God rest his soul). I was a kid; the rabbit ran between us. I didn't shoot; he peppered the crap out of me. I wasn't hurt, but I took my rabbits and walked through the woods back to the house. He also shot Wayne Barrett (stating his name as if you would know him) right in the ass while bird hunting, back when we had quail like dpc3 has nowadays. He actually did have to get pellets taken out from what I am told.

I was almost shot at one morning. My brother and I had gained permission to hunt a piece of property owned by two brothers. The one who gave us permission failed to mention that to the other brother, two older gentlemen. I parked at the gate, which was right next to the brother who did not know we had been given permission. All I heard was a shotgun pump one in the chamber; we got the truck between us, guns somewhat ready, and called out "Don't shoot T!!!!" We called him T. Once we got everything straight, he said we could hunt that day but no more. Eventually, we worked it out. Oddly, he thought we were Wayne Barrett's sons, and he didn't like Wayne. However, our dad is also named Wayne.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Prescribed workout was 12 x 400m, 100m walk recovery, but I cut that back to 9 x 400m since I'm supposed to be tapering.

QOTD: Learning all about the M16 was required in basic training. I'd never shot any sort of gun before. I was surprised that I ended up as the second best marksman in our company. Haven't touched a gun since then.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.