Trailer Trash

Windy Weekend (Read 18 times)

runtraildc

Gusting up to 40 mph here so made for a fun run in the woods.  Got in 6 with the group, including a few miles at a clip. I wore my road shoes, and the soles of my feet were sore at the end.  What the?!?  I don't have enough miles on them to be worn out and this sensation is out of the norm for me.  Brooks Launch.  This might be my last pair of brooks ever.

qotd: Ever give up on a brand after years of use (and loyalty)?  When I find something that I like and works for me, I stick with it.  Until they mess up, which I think Brooks is doing with it's shoes.  First the cascadias, then ravennas (I tried the new ones for 4 miles and got my first ever blister) and now I'm not happy with their replacement's wear.

Have a good weekend, trailers!

some call me Tim

Hey, y'all.. checking in though I haven't run in a couple of days. Just tired all the time and the turn in the weather certainly isn't helping. Still, I hope to get a good run or two in this weekend and round out the week in the mid 20's.

qotd: I guess that happened with Salomon, but I could never afford most of their top end stuff. They changed around some of the comparatively cheaper gear and it no longer worked for me. The last pairs of Sense Mantras and Speedcross I had just fell apart around 200 miles, so I bailed... still miss that lace garage, though.

AT-runner

Tim

Windy here too but we went out on the trails anyway.  Only a few close calls with flying acorns. Ran on the AT and saw a lot of hikers out taking in the fall colors.  Should be prime in a few days.  The leaves do a great job of covering up all the rocks, so we had an easy run today and tried not to fall.  Around 8 by the time we were done.

DW and Queen were drunk texting last night and looks like we're going to try and signup for the Gorges Waterfall 50K in April 2017.  Registration for the lottery opens November 1st. If we get in, we'll go out and see the kids. If we don't, we may still go out and see the kids since this date works well with some projects DW has at work.

QOTD:  Mizuno.  I wore their Wave Ascend shoe from the beginning until model 8 (or 9) and then they discontinued it in favor of a really bad trail shoe. Haven't worn them since. Wave Ascend was a great shoe for East Coast rocky trials and was my go-to shoe for all AT runs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

So yeah I know it's a running forum but I'll post a little about my hikes and stuff until Mandy bans me.  A stellar day in the north country. Temp about 50F and clear blue skies. Gonna be heading over to the Sylvania wilderness area in the U.P. for a hike into the giant white pines. I have to do that from time to time. The trail thru there is fairly level and easy walking which I need. The original plan was to go to Copper Harbor and hike the Estivant woods for that incredible pine grove but after exchanging emails with a rep from the conservancy group that manages it I was told that dogs are not allowed. Damn. I would be gone too long if I left the pups here. So plan B.

AT-I think I saw that the Donald was to be in your town today. Muppy and you need to make sure the women in your lives are protected.   Oh yeah, acorns... I was once runnin some real rocky technical stuff when I hit a patch of acorns on top of the rocks. I dropped like an anchor. It was like running on marbles.

QOTD--Over the years I have abandoned several brands for various reasons--Brooks, Nike, Montrail, and Mizuno to name a few. These days I generally stay with Asics, La Sportiva, New Balance, and Saucony.

AT-runner

Tim

AT-I think I saw that the Donald was to be in your town today. Muppy and you need to make sure the women in your lives are protected.   

Woman are safe and sound. Plan to stay far far away.

Happy birthday,  LB. Have a good one.

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed and boy is the wind gusting pretty strong. Probably not hitting 40 but topping out around 30.  Legs are stiff and tired so I think I'll hold it to a shorter run today, maybe 5 miles tops. Probably have to walk some of it since I don't know if I'll be able to run into the wind.

NH - Pending the results of Nov 8th I'm starting a new business. I'm moving to DC and starting a shop selling cigars and dress cleaning services for certain interns .  (sorry I couldn't resist)

QOTD:  I haven't been running long enough to develop any real strong brand loyalty, even to Hoka. If someone else came out with a shoe that was a padded as theirs I'd try it.  With biking stuff I used quite a bit of different stuff so no brand loyalty there, so I have to go outside of exercise gear to find brands I've dropped.

The latest was Craftsman tools.  I love my Snap-On stuff but can't justify the price so I had bought a lot of Craftsman tools. Now they are made in China and are pretty much junk compared to what they used to be.  Won't buy them anymore.  When I was in the trucking business many, many moons ago I only ran International trucks. Tough and reasonably priced.  Then they got a new CEO and all his decisions were made with a political bent and now the brand is junk. If I got back into the business I wouldn't touch one with a 1000 foot pole.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice 16 mile run in today; weather near perfect low 50's and partly sunny (little windy here today, but not bad ~ 15 mph); going to try and get in 6-ish tomorrow, unless my buddy calls and tells me they are getting into elk

qotd: most recently I had a shoe company give up on me- I've been running Pearl Izumi shoes for the last three years and now they announce they are getting out of the shoe business (save biking shoes) 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes windy indeed.  Spent the morning at DD's soccer game where we froze.  But she scored another goal and I couldn't be more proud.  The spent the afternoon in a crawl space in the attic installing a ceiling fan.  Oh that was fun .  Only 2 more bedrooms that need fans and they can wait until spring.  Oh, running, well none today.  maybe tomorrow.

QOTD: I gave up on Salomon.  Then I gave up on Brooks.  Then I gave up on Asics (although I am somewhat back).  I am close to giving up on Hoka.  So yeah.

Have a great night, weekend, whatever.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NHLA

7 miles DuPont Forest.  Tough windy run.  Saw lots of really fast runners. No bib #s but they looked like they were racing to me.

qotd  Nike. Everytime I try a pair I'm sorry.  Smartwool socks just don't last.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Little 5 with the mutts...they were habing a horse race/ride so had to stay still while their unstable hirses passed.  Me- I'll step in the woods and you can pass.  Them-Thank you.  Them again--The horse are nervous, they can't see you but they kniw you are here.  Can you step to the edge of the trail.  Me-Sure... Hirses are funny...Later another them--Hiw are your digs around hirses.  Me- Good so far.  Me inside my head--Way better than your neurotic horses. 😀

QOTD: Trail DC Casacadia broke my heart!!!!  The quality of shoes has gone down hill in the attempt to be light weight.  The uppers rarely kast more than 6 months nowb a day..for $125 bucks.... Shame on you!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Hello, lurker here. Trying to lurk a little less. 36k trail race today, the Eldrith Gosney, on and around Mt Tam in Marin Co, Ca. Beat my time from last year by a minute, woohoo.

I'm currently wearing Brooks Cascadias. Agree they seem to rip way too soon. What have other Cascadia wearers switched to?  For road shoes, I'm happy enough with Asics.  No running brands that I've sworn off of.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

I ran 5 miles on Saturday. I am about to step out the door for 10.

QOTD: I don't think I have given up on any company. I look at it as my tastes have evolved as I have discovered what works better for me.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, AT.

LB2

muppy

4 miles with some fartleks thrown in. I'm not bouncing back from the 50k 3 weeks ago like I thought I would.

QOTD  i'm very loyal to Brooks, but I'm starting to get fed up with them. Ive been  the ghost and Glycerin for 6 years.   The ghost are great and the Glycerin are junk. (Last years model) they have a weird feel and twist my foot.  If it wasn't such a pain in the butt to find a new shoe that works for me I would!

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 7 miles on Mt. Creek Trail today near Pine Grove Furnace (part of Ironmasters course).  Leaves were very pretty and 2 miles on pine straw.  Saw 10-12 MTB'ers out there enjoying the fall weather.

Welcome back Gatsby. Stop by more often.

Muppy - where did you end up for dinner?

Hope Marie survive the Penn State victory in State College.  That town can get pretty crazy after a big win.

runtraildc

Ran 5 miles on thee paved biker-hiker trail, with the last mile thru the neighborhood to the mall, where I needed to run into a store.  Errand run, though I took the scenic route. Tripped on the sidewalk by the store and did the slo-mo stumble. Will I hit the concrete or manager to stay upright? Core saved me in the end, which was good as the way it looked, could have ended up with a broken wrist. Concrete is not forgiving.

Gatsby-- about the cascadias replacement-- I think it's the saucony peregrines. I've been eyeing them as my next pair, and Queen gave them a thumbs up.

Have a good sunday, folks!