Trailer Trash

Blue Weekender (Read 17 times)

Daydreamer1

Watching my Bluebird love shack right now. It looks like the current residents are about ready to kick their young'uns out into the real world. This should make the 2nd successful nest of the year.  Watched four adults taking turns feeding the babies the other day. Had no idea they would do that. I always thought that only the parents would do the feeding. Guess I'm not too old to learn new things , yet.

Have a bunch of yard work to do, mowing, trimming trees and spraying weeds. After that hopefully there will be time for a bike ride or a run of at least 7-9 miles.

QOTD: Is there anything that you have changed in your life that if someone would have told you that you would be changing you would have thought they were crazy?

If someone would have told me in 2007 that I would be real proactive and protective of the nice birds in my backyard I'd have chased them away with the pitchfork.  Now anything that gets after my Bluebirds or other good songbirds ends up feeling my wrath. Why the change? Don't really know. When my MIL was still alive and living in our apartment she had a bird feeder and I started seeing the nicer birds being pushed around by the sparrows, blackbirds etc.  I couldn't really clean out the bad actors then because she liked them all. Once she was gone I got rid of the bird feeder and started cleaning out the nasty birds and realized that it was nice to watch all the good ones.  I've always been told that where my Bluebird house is located is the worst spot for one as they typically won't use one that is positioned where mine is.  In reality I've been so protective of them that they use it like a condo,  with multiple pairs using it to raise families every year.

Sandy-2

Did 15 miles early this morning. Not too bad, it was a cool 75 deg and of course about 90% humidity.  At least it was better than over the 4th of July weekend.

AT, those must be the Bluebirds of Happiness at your place.

qotd: I don't know, I really can't think of anything... except maybe living down here in Texas.

tbd.

runtraildc

Wasn't planning on a run with other Saturday activities and it really only came to a 2 mile hike where I jogged occasionally to get away from the flies. Did find and pick about a pint of wild blackberries (yum). The bottoms of both feet have been sensitve/sore and it hasn't gone away. crap-- could this be the beginning of plantar fasciitis? And of course, I have been skipping yoga for a few weeks now, including any foot and achilles work.

qotd: I'm not sure I understand the question, but there's nothing I necessarily would have done differently but I am very surprised we are still in DC. It was supposed to be the 3 year post-doc plan and that was 20 years ago. I do like it here - though it took a while.

DD- I love watching the birds in my yard! I put up a wren house and a pair of carolina wrens are working on brood #2. And the goldfinches are now coming regularly to feast off certain plants.

Daydreamer1

Put in 8.5 miles tonight and every step hurt. If it wasn't my ankles it was my hips or my knees or my back or something else. They all took their turns complaining . So I got mad, told everything to just shut up and run, and went an extra 1.5 miles.

qotd: I'm not sure I understand the question,

Hey don't feel bad, I'm not sure I do either . For some reason I just couldn't get the wording right.

What made me post it was my recent bird watching. Way back in  '98 when I bought my binoculars I got them from a Amish guy who has a optics shop and sells a lot of very high end optics. I wanted them for our trip to Alaska. All he wanted to do was talk about bird watching . I think the dude had seen every bird that is known to exist in PA.  It was amazing to hear a Amish guy talk about all his bird watching friends he was in contact with across the world.  At the time I was like, "yea, OK, but real men don't go bird watching, they go bear watching".  (Of course I didn't say that to him)  Now here I am..............bird watching .

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Short run finishing with some 30 second pickups.

qotd: If I understand the question, if anyone had told me I would be running marathons and eventually ultras when I first started running, I would have wondered what they'd been smoking. I started out my running career as a miler and fully expected to never race farther than 3 miles. Being at one time a pacifist and anti-Vietnam War protester, I also would have thought anyone telling me I would eventually enlist in the army was out of his mind.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Storms yesterday and no water today have totally screwed my weekend up. I'm glad I got that long run on Tuesday.

QOTD: Yes. If someone had told me that I would be a runner back in 2007, I would have laughed at them. If someone had told me I would run 100 miles, I would have just walked away shaking my head.

LB2

Sandy-2

SRD. Didn't run early this morning and now I'm sitting on a plane about to go to Tokyo. Sunday's over for me. I get there Monday afternoon, and I'll probably do a few miles when I arrive to try and shake off the jet lag. Temps there are pretty much the same as Houston, so no relief there... QoN, I hope they have cold beer. 

tbd.

Beaverhead 55k yesterday, Missoula Marathon today.  My legs are about to fall off but otherwise none the worse for wear. Will post some pics when I'm home.

QOTD: this question requires more brain power than I can summon now. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Beaverhead 55k yesterday, Missoula Marathon today.  My legs are about to fall off but otherwise none the worse for wear. Will post some pics when I'm home.

QOTD: this question requires more brain power than I can summon now. 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

an epic 20-ish mile mountain loop yesterday- to include some fishing!

3.5 miles this morning w/ the pup

qotd: that I'd be running; I had always hated running- was somewhat forced into running through work and low and behold- I'm now a runner 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √