Trailer Trash

Weird Wednesday (Read 20 times)

LB2

I ran a nice little 4.3 this morning, slowly. I ran a pretty quick 6 after work yesterday.

QOTD: I guess this question has been asked before, but sometimes my answers change. Do you follow a strict training plan when working toward a goal race?

I try to loosely follow a schedule, but my main concern is to make sure I get a few key things done during the two months prior to a race. For example, if I am running a 100 mile trail race, I want to make sure I get at least one 8 to 10 hour run or 50 miler in 6 to 8 weeks out (or 100K about 8 to 10 weeks out). I try to get two or three runs like that in over the 5 months prior to the event. I will also add a few back to backs in for good measure. I want to make sure that I am averaging at least 50 miles per week in the two full months prior to the event. Some of those weeks may be 75 to 85 miles, but I try to look back and see at least 200 miles for those two months before I back off. I have never been unsuccessful when I hit those marks.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Road run at lunch.

First real hard frost last night.  Everything was white this morning with overnight lows in the upper 20's.  Now at least grass will stop growing.

QOTD:  Not strictly following a plan too much anymore. I usually do what feels right and listen to my body.  We ramp it up in the Spring for our 24hr race and that usually is by increasing my long runs or doing a dreaded B2B or a double or two.  My other runs don't change too much, but there dictated by my available time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Forgot to post the last couple of days so here goes--short jogs around the neighborhood or on the treadmill plus some strength work and yoga. My right hip/glute is giving me some trouble and it usually means that I've not been doing the necessary work to keep things strong and balanced. will get out today, not sure how far.

coldest day here, too. Woke to a chilly house at 5 am and started the furnace from the comfort of my bed. We got a Nest thermostat and I must say that I love it dearly, if only for this reason.

qotd: For a goal race, usually yes. I just haven't done a big one lately so I've just been winging it by keeping an eye on weekly mileage to prep for the few non-goal races I've done.

muppy

14.8 miles on the Appalachian Trail/ rail trail loop.

I was running down the rail trail and there was five or six horses stopped,  so I slowed down and walk past that said good morning to everybody they were friendly as can be.  When I started running again a dog with training  collar came charging out of the woods from behind me  and almost tripped me when he tried to bite or lick my leg.  I stopped turned around to say wtf to the lady on the horse that had the dog and somebody else on a horse blew an air horn.  So the dog started to go back and 20 feet later he charged at me again we repeated this for five times  and each time I was a little less friendly  to this lady.  She just gave me the "oh well" shrug. WTF?

QOTD  I used to follow a plan religiously. I pretty much know what to do now so I do one or two key workouts a week tailored to their goal race.

AT-runner

Tim

14.8 miles on the Appalachian Trail/ rail trail loop.

What area, Stony Creek?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Decent little 4 miler this morning, warm and humid, but since I was taking it easy it wasn't bad.  The sliver of the moon was nice.

qotd: I usually have a strict training plan when gearing up for a big run, but I don't always strictly follow it.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Might have had a few spots of frost this morning, but nothing major. But then I didn't get out of bed until almost 9. I like to sleep in on the days before I work nights.  Not sure if I'll run today or not. If I do it will be a very easy 5 miles. Trying to do the active taper thing for Tussey.

QOTD:  If I did I might be a little more successful in my races.  There was one race I did where I had a very structured training plan and followed it almost religiously. In '09 I race up Mt Washington NH on the bike.  I put together a detailed plan and started on it in November of '08. When the plan said to stick to intervals on the trainer I did, even if I wanted to ride outside.  If it looked like work would interfere with the training program I didn't pick up any extra shifts. When it was time to ride long in the late winter, early spring I did regardless of anything else. Put myself on a strict diet and actually lost a good bit of weight. When the plan called for strength training I put in the effort even if I hated it.  In the end it paid off. I didn't turn in a good enough time to make the top notch category but if I hadn't made a rookie mistake and would have pushed just a little harder I could have been on the podium in my age group.

Since then I have not been consistent with my training. Now I start with a plan but get sidetracked too easily. There is always something that I let get in my way.   This year it was heat, stress from work and my ankle injury. I had wanted to have 3-4 30+ mile runs in prior to Tussey and other than hiking the Boulder Beast I don't even have one 20 mile run in.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

dreaded hill repeats last night; dreaded but they seem to work   

going to to try and get 5-ish in this evening 

qotd: no real strict plan; concentrate on getting quality long runs in prior and as much vert as possible 

doesnt this look like fun 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

dreaded hill repeats last night; dreaded but they seem to work   

going to to try and get 5-ish in this evening 

qotd: no real strict plan; concentrate on getting quality long runs in prior and as much vert as possible 

doesnt this look like fun 

I'm assuming that this is your hill repeats from last night. What program do you use?  I'll occasionally use strava and can't figure out how to post elevation profiles from that.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Didn't run this morning..didn't sleep well after Jack's 3 am pee break.  BUT I WILL RUN AFTER WORK!!!!

QOTD:  No..it's hard to follow a tight training program when you are a loose woman. 

AT:  I entered the lottery for the 100K.  Decided since my chances weren't that good and since that has been my plan for a couple of months now I should go through with it.  If I don't get in then will register for 50K.  I will know tomorrow.    I also sucked Karah.

DD:  Good luck at Tussey this weekend.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm assuming that this is your hill repeats from last night. What program do you use?  I'll occasionally use strava and can't figure out how to post elevation profiles from that.

Yup from last night. It's just the one here in the training log; trace your route on the map and it gives you the elevation profile at the bottom (below the map). I use a "snippet" app to cut it out and save as a jpeg.  I could also use my Gaiagps app and put in tracking mode and then take a screen shot from my phone. I like to enter the routes manually on the training log here and save them- then I can choose one from a drop down menu when I do that route again

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

QOTD:  No..it's hard to follow a tight training program when you are a loose woman. 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Yup from last night. It's just the one here in the training log; trace your route on the map and it gives you the elevation profile at the bottom (below the map). I use a "snippet" app to cut it out and save as a jpeg.  I could also use my Gaiagps app and put in tracking mode and then take a screen shot from my phone. I like to enter the routes manually on the training log here and save them- then I can choose one from a drop down menu when I do that route again

Ah ha, Didn't think about using a snipping tool. I'll have to try that sometime.

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I had a pretty decent 7 miler on the lakeside trails last night. Who turned on the chill machine?. LOL. I took along gloves as I thought that I'd need them but it wasn't that cold. Just sort of cool weather with a cold wind chill but pretty good just for long sleeves once the shock was over. Today so far was planet of fitness routine at lunch and 5-7 planned for tonight at Coventry Woods. Chiro did some rather painful adjustment to the back of my knee and it feels a whole lot better right now, though it has been improving the past week as well.

QOTD: I used to put together detailed plans for marathons and especially my first few ultras. I followed them pretty closely and had some decent success. Anymore though I pretty much just put in the miles and time on the trail. Its works for me. My body knows how to complete the distances I race, and my results seem acceptable for 55+ years of age.

Warden - Yowzers... that be more of mountain repeats, not hills.

AT - Yeah, ready to stop mowing too with the hard frost this morning but with this summer/fall being so dry the grass hasn't been too bad this fall.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

You can even use good old MS paint. Screen copy, snip and clip in paint. A bit archaic but it works.

Ah ha, Didn't think about using a snipping tool. I'll have to try that sometime.

In dog beers, I've only had one.