Trailer Trash

Interesting Article (Read 20 times)

moonlightrunner

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/health/ultramarathons-electrolyte-drinks-wellness/index.html

Probably nothing new you didn't not already know. An interesting study. I like how it involved normal runners of varying level.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

I hope they did not spend too much money on that study as one of the major conclusions was "listen to your body". That is sort of funny.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

I read that article last night.  To me the takeaway from the article is.......  electrolytes don't help....  but you need to have the right balance of electrolytes.   Wha?????

But yeah, listen to your body, drink when thirsty and eat real (and salty) foods.  Mainly, go with what works for you (I do a regimen of a gel and s-cap every 90 minutes, my "steady drip"). I've been doing that for the last 25 summers while running in the heat and humidity of east Texas. Most of the times I'm ok, but sometimes it can go off the rails. Experiment of one.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

I was surprised when the implied electrolytes wont prevent leg cramps...I feel like they do when it is really hot out. I generally stick to water unless temps and distance is extreme...back in the days when I ran on land

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k