Trailer Trash

First Monday (Read 29 times)

LB2

Free PBR's?

That is the only way I drink PBR's.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Cold in central PA - DD, where do you get 40 degrees? It's 22 here. Sunny, but very windy, I might wear double pants today.

You have to remember that I'm a relative flat lander compared to you up there. It's amazing how much different the weather can be between the two places seeing that only about 40-45 air miles separate us. It's still calm down here but got cloudy so the temp has dropped down to about 30. Should be a nice run.

XtremeTaper

Back from my holiday posting sabbatical. Spent some time down in GA where I wandered some muddy trails due to heavy rain, including a couple of nice runs at Sweetwater State Park amongst the noise of roaring rapids.

Back to reality today, with 8 miles out on the road. I wasn't sure of the plan, so sort of winged it. Turned right here, left there, left somewhere else and eventually ended up running my town loop in reverse of my normal direction. Shockingly cold, relatively speaking, but mostly when running into the cold winter breeze. Downwind it felt pretty nice. That sort of played a role in my run selection today. The latter part the wind was behind me. Threw my name into the MMT lottery so we'll see how that goes.

QOTD: No exciting plans yet. Do plan to snowbird at my folks house in FL for a few weeks next month.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Wandering Wally

Starting this week off with... a rest day!

Trails are closed to running as the skiers have taken over. I'm confined to the road for the next 6 weeks or so.

QOTD: Tax season is just beginning. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Starting this week off with... a rest day!

Trails are closed to running as the skiers have taken over. I'm confined to the road for the next 6 weeks or so.

QOTD: Tax season is just beginning. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Whoa, hello, stranger!  How are you?

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

Well, last night I ran 8 miles in my Vivobarefoots and yak trax. I was going to try my altra superiors, but walking in them I could tell they we're not going to work. I land on the outsides of my feet. The Altras throw me in. The vivobarefoots did OK. My toes hurt from the chains, but not as bad.I am not sure if screws can be put in she's without a midsole. Anyone know?

No run today. I'm on babysitting duty tonight. Hopefully I will be up at three to get a run in tomorrow. Yuck.

Those of you with colds...I swear I had mine for three weeks...and I still have symptoms.

Qotd: no plans, no vacations. Just a long, cold and snowy winter....blah! OMG...it is a full work week ahead....

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

NorthernHarrier

Greetings,  A rest day for me here as I have been hitting it a little harder the last few weeks training for some 5k snowshoe races and a 50k in Feb.   Interesting training trying that. First snowshoe race will be Sunday in Upper Michigan.  I will do some weights and elliptical tonight with some tempo work for tomorrow planned.

Moonlight--I know a couple have given ringing endorsements for screw shoes but you have pretty much the same winter as I do so I give my recommendation to Kahtoola micro spikes.  I always have a dedicated pair of screw shoes too but they just bridge the gap so to speak. They do have a place and if we lived in some of these other states it may be all you need but we have some long snowy, icy winters so for real good stable trail running thru the winter go with the Kahtoolas.

From the other day, QOTD--  1725 miles and while I do quantify it yet my real emphasis is always on what am I actually doing with the miles as far as speed, tempo, hills, distance, etc.

QOTD:  I'll be unemployed around Feb 1 so,  mid Feb-camping for a week on a beach in Florida with a 50k in Blackwater on Feb 20th

Mid March- another week on another beach in Florida with miles of adjacent trail.

End of March and early April at my shack doing the Maple syrup thing.

Late April a week and a half heading to the area where Tenn.,Ky.,Va., and N.C. come together camping and trail running.

Mid May- 10 day solo canoe trip far north along the border of Manitoba and Ontario.

Probably have to go back to work somewhere after that.  

Editing- After posting it I see that some words were cut off, weird.

Adding--Welcome back Michael

Muppy--First time flying I would recommend taking a Sudafed and half a Dramimine(sp) just as a preventative.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6 cold miles. Like Taper said, it was the icy wind that was the main challenge. I was yapping for air when the gusts (up to 25 mph) hit me head on, just because it was so cold. Still, it was a fun run, after the first 3 miles.

Welcome back, smith!

Harrier: Your unemployment plans sound very tempting. "Do not lead me into temptation" - I can't afford to say the "q" word, and I'm not sure my unemployment would turn out as well as yours. Sigh.

moonlight: I second Harrier's advice. Screw shoes are great for somewhat icy conditions, with a thin layer of snow, maybe frozen snow, and for patchy (icy/snowy and bare patches) loops, but for long winters with lots of snow, there's no way around microspikes (or Yaktrax Extreme, which I use, they are essentially the same) if you want to enjoy stomping around in the snow on the trails.

Run for fun.

Keep Going

5 freezing cold, windy, and dark miles. it was 18 F when I left to go running. It was a humid 70 degrees here on Xmas Eve. So 18 feels like -10! Winter showed up late to the party I suppose.

Dreamer - That's so awesome you guys are heading to Hawaii! Looking forward to seeing some posts on your trip. Your wife must be stoked!

Muppy - I take between 2 and 4 milligrams of Xanex when I need to fly. Down them with a rum and coke at the airport bar and it's goodnight city come "buckle your seatbelt" time! Of course I need my wife to look after me as I'm pretty much Mr. T like and unconscious the entire way. Yes I have a problem. 

Taper - Hope to meet you and Couch at MMT!

QOTD: I am so ready for the spring race season to come. I'm slightly obsessed with MMT at the moment and the 100 mile distance. There is just something about it. The two sunrises, the night running, the desire to endure. It's sexy in a weird way.

100 milers are my favorite

moonlightrunner

6 cold miles. Like Taper said, it was the icy wind that was the main challenge. I was yapping for air when the gusts (up to 25 mph) hit me head on, just because it was so cold. Still, it was a fun run, after the first 3 miles.

Welcome back, smith!

Harrier: Your unemployment plans sound very tempting. "Do not lead me into temptation" - I can't afford to say the "q" word, and I'm not sure my unemployment would turn out as well as yours. Sigh.

moonlight: I second Harrier's advice. Screw shoes are great for somewhat icy conditions, with a thin layer of snow, maybe frozen snow, and for patchy (icy/snowy and bare patches) loops, but for long winters with lots of snow, there's no way around microspikes (or Yaktrax Extreme, which I use, they are essentially the same) if you want to enjoy stomping around in the snow on the trails.

Couch and Harrier: I use the yak trax extremes and t by ey work well. Especially in this treacherous icy snow we have had. The problem I have is that my water shoes and even my vivobarefoot shoes are extremely thin and flexible. As I run, my toes repeatedly get battered as they make contact with the area coveredd by the chain. The pain alters my gait...and....the bruised toes make it  painfull and difficult to wear cute shoes to work . I love cute shoes with high heels. I wear them and suffer.

My preferred alternative is that winter retreat and we have a return to five-finger weather!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

I plan to do some core exercises and then a few miles after work today.  Cold and rainy here, so it should be 'fun'.

NHLA: Sorry to hear about your MIL.  Similar to FTYC, I knew that my dad was declining from talking to him on the phone, I kept hearing the same stories on repeat.  Funny because my brother who often visited in person didn't notice it until I pointed it out.

qotd: Not sure, I have 3 days off for lunar new year next month, we're thinking about flying south, maybe Hong Kong, Palau, Guam... I wanted to go to Cambodia but.... we'll see.

tbd.

runtraildc

Thanks for the tips, NHLA!  I'll look them up.  Been wanting to see the area for years now, but never found the time.   Hopefully this year.

runtraildc  Camp here and we can run Pisgah. Mills River rec center  Rush Creek camp site #1 is the best for privacy.

If you have kids Davidson River main campground. Great swimming hole but lots of people