Trailer Trash

no free lunch- please read (Read 31 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

this is an important issue that impacts each and everyone of us- the protection of our public lands; we can no longer take for granted that someone else will do the leg work in insuring our kids, grandkids have a places to recreate in the outdoors

a piece that's probably long overdue for the trail running community

no free lunch

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I just finished reading that before coming over to RA. The local park I run at was created as a result of an Open Air initiative shortly after I moved to this area 21 years ago. Part of what I had to argue against was turning it into mainly athletic fields rather than more a nature preserve and trails. We now have a couple miles of nature trails, a pond, and access to a rails to trails trail.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Some excellent points in that article, thanks for sharing.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Saw that yesterday. Pretty good article.

I was not surprised to see trail runners have doubled in the past 10-11 years.

I think a lot of the newbies could use some education on trail etiquette and care.  I for one, learned a lot from the early forums about leave-no-trace and right-of-way, etc. I had some hiking experience, and that helped with understanding trail impact.  I do feel Race Directors could play a part in informing runners of what is expected.  Ron Horn or Pretzel City Sports used to give a speech about who has right away, stay on the trail. etc.

One thing that bothers me is complaints that aren't justified. I've read before about unruly R2R2R runners, yet the GC park service says they have no trouble with them. The R2R2R FB page has posted several surveys in the past showing runners are not abusing the GC corridor trials, yet articles still use this as an example of "bad trail runners".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One thing that bothers me is complaints that aren't justified. I've read before about unruly R2R2R runners, yet the GC park service says they have no trouble with them. The R2R2R FB page has posted several surveys in the past showing runners are not abusing the GC corridor trials, yet articles still use this as an example of "bad trail runners".

All it takes is one abusive trail runner and an FB thread that goes viral.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I agree that trail running in the Grand Canyon is not the problem that was originally presented, but have no doubt that a few runners probably did drop some gel packs, scared a hiker (or mule) or two, etc.  Hunters face the same critique- unfortunately one or two slob hunters can go a long way in alienating non-hunters, ditto for runners.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

The biggest thing, in my opinion, that threatens public land is users not being able to get along. The hiker hates the trail runner, the trail runner  despises the mountain biker, the mountain biker cusses about the ATV rider, the fisherman doesn't really want anyone around the water while they are there and none of the above like the hunter because they have to or should curtail some activities during hunting season and the hunter doesn't  like anyone else either. I won't even get into the way a lot of the horse people are. Then if the land manager decides to sell off some timber, well heaven help us all then it's time to riot .   Maybe we need more serious threats to public lands so that everyone sees the need to work together.

In someways I think that the trail runners here in central and northern PA are pretty good about being proactive to keeping trails open. If it wasn't for some of the races cleaning up the trails they would never get used.  At the same time certain races didn't want to deal with other users of the land and complained about the damage everyone else does but then would open "trails' for their race that were nothing more then flags out though the middle of the woods on steep slopes where it was going to create a lot of erosion.

Overall though I do agree that trail runners probably should do more to keep trails open and maintained then they do as well as being proactive to expand public lands for all uses.

Another problem that I see that will impact trail usage especially for trail runners at places like the Grand Canyon is power hungry administrators and rangers with a lack of knowledge about trail runners and what some are capable of.  I've read some of their opinions about long distance runners using the trails and most are from uninformed people who are themselves too out of shape to get too far from the trail head therefore they get upset when some of us strike out for a long run.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I agree that trail running in the Grand Canyon is not the problem that was originally presented, but have no doubt that a few runners probably did drop some gel packs, scared a hiker (or mule) or two, etc.  Hunters face the same critique- unfortunately one or two slob hunters can go a long way in alienating non-hunters, ditto for runners.

It's a conundrum for sure.  I think the biggest thing trail runners/hikers can do is remember respect for everything and everyone.  Benedict has done a fantastic job with his Grand Canyon Groups in encouraging proper trail etiquette and philosophy (it isn't a race; slow down and savor the moment; leave no trace; et. al.).  

One of the things I try and do below the rim (hiking, running or backpacking) is interact with people.  It keeps me aware of others and hopefully it sets a good mood for everyone.

You people have issues 

AT-runner

Tim

It's a conundrum for sure.  I think the biggest thing trail runners/hikers can do is remember respect for everything and everyone.  Benedict has done a fantastic job with his Grand Canyon Groups in encouraging proper trail etiquette and philosophy (it isn't a race; slow down and savor the moment; leave no trace; et. al.).  

One of the things I try and do below the rim (hiking, running or backpacking) is interact with people.  It keeps me aware of others and hopefully it sets a good mood for everyone.

What Benedict and Ed have done with their FB pages is unbelievable. Truly one of the best FB information sites I've seen.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!