Trailer Trash

Catch-up Mondaily (Read 28 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Worked early today, but it is such a wonderful day with decent temps in the 70's, that I must go out for a run, even if this means neglecting the little kids and my student driver, and just take off. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, right? 

QOTD: LIghts at Stone mill 50, at ES100 and at MMT100. Don't remember if OC 100 had lights requirements? But nobody enforced it.

Sandy: Long list!

traildc: I know that in European races they do this kind of micro-management, and it does not surprise me that it's done at UTMF, too. Japanese diligence.

Jamie: MMT didn't have any porter-potties on the whole course, so for UTMF a portable potty might make sense? I guess they don't want to have the runners soil the most popular trail in the country.

This seems to be the model for the outdoor enthusiast, but it still looks big to carry along:

You might also find you don't always have the time to pitch it before s**t happens, literally 

Maybe this is more practical at the start line:

or just take along this:

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

7 on the home trails today, with a bunch more trail work in there somewhere, too. Lately I find nothing quite as relaxing as cutting and maintaining a trail and I make sure I get in at least a half hour every evening.

qotd: the only race I've run with mandatory gear was the 50 miler along the canal last winter. Most of it was common sense stuff: a hat and gloves, headlamp after dusk... also red blinking light on front and back for both runners and pacers after dark. Apparently they'd had an incident before where someone wandered off the course, delirious, in the middle of a blizzard and the only reason they found him was the blinking light.

Sandy-2

Yeah, it’s a long list of stuff to be carrying.  They copied the list from the UTMB folks (UTMF is a ‘sister race’ of the UTMB).  The UTMF run used to be in April, but now they moved it to Sept, which is a warmer month.  On top of that, I don’t think UTMF is as high as UTMB so there is probably a bit of overkill on the list for the Mt. Fuji area.  But it is most likely a CYA type of thing.

While I agree it’s better to have more stuff if you are stuck or going slow at night, I still would rather keep it to a minimum, as mt says, I can spend some ‘miserable’ time between aid stations if I have to.  I’ll let you know if I use any of the extra crap afterwards.  By the way that is not a reference to the ‘portable/disposable toilet’ which I understand is kind of like a Ziploc bag. . . .

tbd.