Trailer Trash

Wet Weekender (Read 14 times)

Daydreamer1

At least it's wet here and it looks like the Midwest is going to get a bunch of storms.  Spending a understaffed day at work. For the day light hours we are at 50% staffing and for the night at 75% which is acceptable.  The problem is that most of the surrounding units are really understaffed for the next two days as well.   No running today but hopefully tomorrow I'll get out a few.

QOTD:  Looking at the weather I saw that the Midwest got hit by a bunch of storms with a lot of damage.  Have you or any of your family ever suffered a natural disaster where there was major damage?

I can't say that we have. It seems we live in a very temperate area even for PA. Really never get any tornadoes, strong straight line winds, excessively hard rains or anything like that. People all around us will get that but we don't in my area.  The most damage that we've ever suffered was a partially lost barn roof years ago in a moderate wind storm. There were a couple of rotted rafters that left go.  I can't really imagine how people feel when they lose everything.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I ran 6 flat miles on roads near Pine Grove Furnace SP.   Lots of walkers and bikers out there today.  No rain here, but nice temperatures and overcast.

QOTD: Only thing close I can think of is when Hurricane Agnes came through the DC area. We had a lot of trees come down and 2 or 3 just missed hitting the house. Had some neighbors who weren't as lucky.

:

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

I managed just under 14 miles this morning. Quite an accomplishment for

me considering I did a HM 5 days ago, and I'm just getting back into it after

a layoff. Now I need to remember, and apply, the recovery techniques I've

learned.

QOTD: I've been through several hurricanes; Gloria, Bob, Andrew, Sandy., but

no major damage to speak of. We did have a major fire at our house when I

was 17, not a natural disaster but traumatic. It started in my room (faulty window

Christmas light), we lost our dog and I lost everything I owned.

NHLA

6.5 miles at DuPont Forest.  Nice trails not as hard as most trails here. Going running when rain stops. Flash flood watch.

Qotd I  grew up neAR the gulf Coast  so lots of storms. Had a house flood when I  was young. Had a tree fall on roof a few years ago.

runtraildc

13 hilly, windy, rainy and cold miles in Apple orchard country. Trees were not yet blooming, but still pretty.  Although a road race (the 10k was mostly trails, but I needed to race disyance), it was fun. Very friendly and well supported. Lots of little  kids out there handing out water, but this is the land of 'buck up buttercup' - it could be worse. So maybe not all that surprising despite the poor weather. 😄

50k yesterday in the Marin headlands, 4.5 miles today, 49.8 for the week. No I'm not going out to get that last .2 miles.

JonF, that's terrible about losing everything in the fire. I know it was a while ago, but I'm sorry nonetheless.

QOTD: no, I have not experienced any natural disasters (knocks on wood). Not even a major earthquake, despite being a NorCal native. Small ones, yes. I was away when the Loma Prieta quake happened.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

NHLA

6 muggy miles Champion Hills.

NorthernHarrier

49.8 for the week. No I'm not going out to get that last .2 miles.

I think I can speak for most here and you are allowed to "round it up". 

Whirlwind bit of travelling for me. Just got in from a few days out in the Salt Lake City area where I met my little grandson. Pretty tiny little dude being born a little premature but daughter and little hooligan are doing well. I was able to get some great trail running in in the Wasatch range though they also got a significant snow episode so the real high country was not real doable. Some areas there and in Colorado and Wyoming rec'd over 2' of that white stuff.

Since I have an epic run and camping trip scheduled for the end of June/early July in the mountains I have been working on some alternate trails and such if the snow lingers up high. BTW Gatsby, I dropped from the Beaverhead as it is just interfering with my other plans, this despite my training and running going real well but good luck to you as it is a real unique ultra which you will enjoy.

Did a 14 mile road run today . I know, I know but the trails here are just real soggy right now and instead of slip sliding along I actually wanted to do some real running. Heading north for tomorrow but I have to be back Friday afternoon to pick up DW at the airport as she is still out in Utah.

QOTD--no personal losses but with the business I owned I was often on the front lines and thru connections I had I was able to get into areas destroyed by tornadoes even before homeowners were allowed in. Not something you would want to see happen to anyone and when the tornado warning goes out I get my ass into the basement. Not something to fool around with.

Well, darn about Beaverhead but understandable.  I'll do my best to represent.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR