Trailer Trash

Turtle Tuesday (Read 19 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A short (5k) run through the hood last night in soupy weather.  I cannot stand humidity.

Marie - my 2 cents is do what you can to go see your dad.  You'll have other times to camp with the boys.  I wonder if the campground would grant you a refund based on the situation? Wouldn't hurt to ask I suppose.  But you may never get that time with your dad again and you want to have those memories.  But that's just my thought.

QOTD: See any cool wildlife recently?

This morning at work we have a couple of fox outside the building just prancing around.  There is a woodsy area in the back but the one young fox is playing in the parking lot.  He looks hurt.  The other day we saw a good size turtle trying to cross a very busy road.  On my trail run over the weekend I saw a ton of deer which I always love to see.  Such a beautiful animal.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Planning on 7 on easy trail tonight.  It will still be hot but not as humid as yesterday (hopefully).

QOTD:  I saw two foxes so far this year.  One at dusk on Long Island, and another along the Potomac Heritage Trail on Sunday morning.  I was stalking the fox on Sunday for a bit and got close enough for a decent pic on my phone.  I also came around a corner and there was a deer about 15 feet away.  We stared at each other for a little while, but when I finally got my phone out, the deer lost interest and started walking away as if I were nothing special (humph!)....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

runtraildc

Ran 5 early yesterday while DS was in the pool. Perfect weather (for summer). Ran part of my favorite trail and visited the damage done by recent storms. One oft favorite rope bridges (along a downed tulip poplar) was crushed and the entire log moved by raging waters. Fortunately, another poplar came down right next to it forming a new bridge.

i've been awol lately due to helping with early voting. Will catch up on everyone's post soon. And I already broke my streak. So much for that

qotd- saw a muskrat swimming yesterday too.

XtremeTaper

Back to the routine today after a long weekend with family visiting. Did not do much running... too busy feeding the troops and hanging out at the pool drinking beer and chilling. So back to the planet of fitness today and an evening run on the trails. Should be a sweatfest tonight.

QOTD: Usual suspects for me in the wildlife department. A few deer yesterday along with a tiny garter snake. I have seen quite a few wood frogs this year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Soupy run this morning. Only low 80's but dew point was way up.  All the moisture from last nights humidity was burning off and made it really steamy.  I'm with Jamie - I hate humidity!

Marie - best of luck with the passport and travel plans.  I knew you were Austrian, but wasn't sure if you had US or maybe dual citizenship.  Hopefully the new Ambassador can help expedite things. Prayers for your Dad.

QOTD:  Only 1 bear this year, but I've seen a lot of snakes. Saw 2 rattlers last week.  Both were small (3-4' range), and think I saw a baby copperhead. Looked like a copperhead but only 12-14" long.  Usually by this time. I've seen a few bears.  I see deer and turkeys all the time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Headed to the gym after work today to do a little stair climbing and core stuff.  I'll also do 3 mi, maybe outside, maybe on the dreadmill - depends on the lightening situation.

Marie, So sorry to hear about your Dad.  I know it's really difficult but I'd echo what Jamie said.  If you can get over to Austria to see him it would be good, and bring lots of photos of the kiddos for him to see.

qotd: Ha, I saw a fox in downtown London last month.  There is a tiny green patch near some train tracks so I guess it is staying there.  A week ago when I was dodging all those horse flies along the riverside mt DD and I saw lots of deer, mostly their eyes glowing in the headlamps though.  Closer to home I saw a baby box turtle on the sidewalk on Sunday, I guess the little guy was trying to stay dry due to all the rain.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I passed on my evening run with the rain, strength trained instead

rain is supposed to end this afternoon, so hoping for 4-ish this evening

qotd: we have a doe for the last three years has given birth to twin fawns next to the federal courthouse, they hang around for a month or so and then we don’t see her until the following year- they made an appearance yesterday

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran a couple this morning. I felt like a turtle, slow. The mugginess was darn near unbearable this morning.

QOTD: I really haven't seen any critters lately unless you count horseflies. But even they have dropped off substantially.

LB2

GC100k

A couple hours on the roads this morning. Got up well before light to start at first light, but ended up waiting until the rain eased off at ~6:30. Not as hot as yesterday. First couple years after moving from Arkansas to Pennsylvania this weather would have seemed quite tame, but I must have acclimated because yesterday felt pretty warm.

My girls will run in an all-comers track meet tonight and my son, a college track coach, will be volunteering at it.

I'm still staying off the trails after a nasty poison ivy episode.

Did see a box turtle ambling on the road this morning as well as lots of deers as usual, including a couple little spotted Bambis. So cute. We have a fox that yelps right next to the house and wakes us up some nights. There's a fox we see regularly on our main running trail and my wife saw her with babies trailing along the other night but I haven't seen the babies.

I know we have copperheads here, but I haven't seen any yet, whereas they were an almost daily siting on the Arkansas trails. I do see black rat snakes here just as often and just as big as in Arkansas. We've had some climbing on our porches, including the biggest one I've every seen (~7 ft), I think they climb up and get the baby birds in the nests in the rafters.

GC100k

QOTD: I really haven't seen any critters lately unless you count horseflies. But even they have dropped off substantially.

They've migrated to my neighborhood.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm still staying off the trails after a nasty poison ivy episode.

I use Ivy-X which seems to have done the trick the past couple years.  I've only put it on the lower part of my leg, but somehow I got some poison ivy up near my knee which has been a nuisance for about a week now.

I saw a big black rat snake at my parents old farmhouse in MD.  They are quite impressive!  When we first got our cabin, there was a rock wall next to it that had families of garter snakes.  DW is terrified of them, so I spent many hours catching and relocating them about a quarter mile away.  Lost count how many I caught.  Then I had to dismantle the rock wall.  I chuckle now when she complains about the new mouse problem.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

adkkev

I was backpacking in the Adirondacks over the weekend & on my way out of the woods the deer flies were horrendous.  No mosquitoes and hardly any black flies during the whole time I was there but on the trail, wow.  Those creatures are relentless & I truly feel that they enjoy torturing humans with their constant buzzing around one's head.  Next trip I'll try some double sided tape and see how many I snag ...