Trailer Trash

Indecision Tuesdalies (Read 38 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

Got in a nice 6.5 mile hill loop this morning, before the rain. I'm really loving this

weather, great for running. I'll try to remember how nice this is when I'm having 
    'motivation issues' this winter with the cold/snow. We're moving in a few weeks 

and I think our new place may have some good spots for cross-country skiing.

Hopefully I can find a decent used pair.

Sorry to hear about the job, NH. It was fun while it lasted. 

QOTD: I've been pretty steady the past few years, except for minor injuries. I did 

notice that I put on a few pounds during my last patrol in the Coast Guard. Imagine

having all the food you can eat and the only running is laps on the flight deck, and 

the occasional port calls (Dutch Harbor, AK, Panama, Mexico). 

jonferg67

Endless trails

QOTD:  I took off 10 days after knee surgery (scope for torn miniscus) a few years ago and that's the only break I've had in decades.  If I keep my mileage down for a bit, it takes several weeks to ramp back up.

Ouch, I had that surgery too, a few years ago. I was amazed how quickly I was ably to start walking, then running. It's remarkable

what they can do nowadays. The pain meds helped a bit too.

Snowdenrun

I haven't been running Undecided Work's been shitty. Life's been busy.

QOTD: I feel like I lose fitness quickly. Apparently I'm currently taking a break from running now. I expect my next week of running to be a bit tough.

QOTD:  I took off 10 days after knee surgery (scope for torn miniscus) a few years ago and that's the only break I've had in decades.  If I keep my mileage down for a bit, it takes several weeks to ramp back up.

I've had ACL and miniscus surgery twice. The first time they replaced my ACL with a string of my hamstring. That recovery was at least 6 months before I was getting back to normal. That was back in 2007. In 2010 I had a repeat injury and that time I got a new-to-me ACL from a cadaver. That recovery was much faster. But it didn't affect my running as I didn't start running til 2011, and became a regular in 2012.

Daydreamer1

So after posting this morning I crawled back in bed and got a couple hours more sleep. Rolled out still feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. In between going to the butcher shop for some grilling steaks, yum yum, and changing the oil in my car I started to feel better. Still not good enough to tackle the heat of a mid day run though. So I put in a hour on the elliptical. It actually went fairly well and I was able to work on some leg strength imbalances I'm having.

After reading the replies to the QOTD I must say they came in about where I thought they would. It seems that it really depends on the individual as to how fast they lose fitness. For me it seems to be quick. I especially have to work on the speed and leg turnover, although this time my stamina also took a hit.

Sandy-2

Been a crazy few days between my DD finishing the Mongol Derby, work schedule and then traveling up to Leadville.

Perhaps you may know that in the end my DD finished 2nd in the Derby.  It was very gut wrenching at the end, but she did so great the "issues" at the finish are now a memory.  She said "that's endurance".  A totally epic adventure and an amazingly courageous ride for our DD. I can now say that she is complely recoverd and enjoying the Mongolian countryside.  I can't wait for her to get back to hear all of the stories....  plus we are thowing her a party at a local Mexican place that we all frequent.

The following link contains the race report covering the the first two finishers.

http://mongolderbyblog.theadventurists.com/2013/08/10/lara-prior-palmer-wins-the-mongol-derby-2013-in-dramatic-fashion/

The following link contains some great photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151488004781307.1073741832.100732346306&type=1

Click on the photos to see captions.

Although I'm up in Leadville for the week in order to somehow get my sea level lungs used to 10,000 ft elevation, I'm also doing work.  It sucks working here, but it does make me sit and not do too much stuff, I'm supposed to be tapering.  The other goood thing is I don't have to take all the vacation days while I'm here either.

Feeling good leading up to the run, the hip is cooperating so that is good.  I hiked up Mt. Elbert (14,433 ft elevation) yesterday to get a jump-start on the altitude thing.

qotd: I don't know, I guess about 2 weeks or so.

tbd.

LB2

Good luck, Sandy. You too, Kelly. I'll try to follow along from sea level.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a great late evening run (about 7 miles)- beautiful blood red sunset over the mountains, followed by a quick buildup of black clouds w/ lots of thunder & lightening, made it to the front door just as it started running Big grin

qotd: I've only been running about two years and have had only one break that lasted longer than a week (and it was only two weeks)- I felt I lost a little fitness, but not much- now strength training is a different- a couple of weeks off I can notice a fairly significant drop off in strength- not sure why, probably old age setting in Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √