Trailer Trash

Tumultous Tuesdaily (Read 18 times)

Sandy-2

Got up early to run this morning because I had to fly to Shanghai today. I saw a FaceBook post indicating something about flooding in Houston and my DD Devan saying that the horse she is currently training is high-and-dry at the small stable but she is on her way to check the other big Stable she works with. I know the place is subject to flooding and I've helped out evacuating horses in the past. I immediately tried to call my DD, no answer. Left voice and text messages to STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!!

Cancelled my run and started getting ready to head to the airport. Quite worried, 'cause I know her, and what she'd do if a horse was in trouble... My DW was still asleep, lucky her.

Got to the airport and the FP posts really started going crazy. Videos of flooding, horses struggling to keep their heads above water, photos galore, swirling and treacherous floodwaters. I knew exactly where they were taken, been there so many times over the years... the big stable.

Then other FB posts started coming in, our incredible daughter Devan was out swimming rescuing horses from flood waters. My DW called to tell me that she's getting texts from friends back home informing her that they had just seen Devan on KPRC TV news, struggling in the water trying to get a horse to safety, they also assured her that Devan was wearing a life vest. My DW fired up the SlingBox and was able to watch live Houston TV herself along with a video of Devan, indeed wearing a life vest, rescuing Boomer. Boomer is blind by the way. There were lots of photos and videos of our friend Justin, who Devan trains with (both themselves and horses) who was also rescuing the horses.

My DW said watching our daughter, from 7000 miles away, trying to keep herself and a 900 + pound frightened animal from drowning is not her idea of "must see tv". However, that having been said, watching Devan in action is a sight to behold.

After the short flight from Busan to Shanghai I spoke with Devan on the phone. She, Justin and many others were at a local Mexican restaurant decompressing. She is physically and emotionally exhausted. It has been a bitter sweet day as most horses were saved. Between Devan and Justin they probably saved 25 horses, but some sadly, were not. Devan told me in a low sad voice the she saw a few drowned horses, but had to keep going on. They think that about 15 are still considered missing, hopefully down river munching away at some vegetation. This is what we do know: Devan is a remarkable young woman, Justin is a remarkable man. All of the staff and volunteers who played a role in this rescue effort at Cypress Trails aree to be commended for stepping up.

Believe me I know how incredibly dangerous those floodwaters are, and my heart was in my throat all morning. It was such a relief to talk to her on the phone. What a kid.

The last thing she said... ya know I did the MS150 bike ride, then was in the water for a few hours today, maybe I'll go for a run tomorrow and call it some sort of warped Triathlon.

Mike drop, Shanghai out.

Devan and Boomer.

Devan and Boomer.

Devan leading Sam.

Justin leading (I don't know).

Video of Devan and Boomer (you can jump to 2:55 to hear a little interview). A friend of Devan's posted that parts of this video and Devan's comments were on the News in the morning news in The Netherlands.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/crews-attempt-to-rescue-horses-from-cypress-trails-equestrian-center

tbd.

runtraildc

Morning all.  Not tumultuous here in DC; actually quite the opposite. I'm heading out for an easy 4 shortly. Our beautiful weather continues, though we could use some rain.

Crazy stories there Sandy. Glad to hear your daughter and all the other rescuers are safe. That last pic was in the Washington Post today. Makes me wonder how LB2 is faring with these storms, or if they bypassed his area.

qotd:  pass.  I'm drawing a blank.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sandy- Wow!  glad she is OK (and the horses too)- spooky to say the least 

going to get 5-6 miles in this evening after work supposed to be in the low 70's (we're supposed to be in the low 50's )

qotd: what milk do you buy- 1%, 2, whole, skim, butter ()- I was getting 1 and sometimes 2%, but I'm the only one drinking milk and recently started buying whole milk

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wow - just wow.  What a great but crazy story.  I bet you are stressed yet prod all at the same time Sandy.  Thanks for sharing.  You and your DW certainly did something right with her.

I got in a short workout at the gym last night.

QOTD: 1%

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Gator eye

Wow Sandy, what a brave young lady you have.

We did 10 this morning. Mr Jamgles was having quite a morning, he dispatched 2 coons, carried a possum for a half mile, snacked on a field mouse, and almost got sprayed by a skunk. He was tired out by the time we got home.

QOTD: I still like whole milk

Daydreamer1

I heard there was some flooding in the Houston area but didn't realize it was so bad.  It's always difficult to work with rescuing animals, especially the bigger ones. I'm glad no one got hurt and they were able to get most out.

Planning on heading up on the mountain for some type of miles later today. Probably only about 6-7, but that will include exploring a new trail so it may end up being a lot more.

QOTD:  Always buy butter, never margarine. For milk it's always skim or 1%. Anything else just has too much cream on it.  When I was  growing up we drank so much milk that my mother decided we needed a cow.  We ended up getting a Jersey and her milk often had so high of a butterfat content that if a gallon of whole milk were left sit the top 1/3 would be cream. My mother would make butter and we had inherited  a old  antique cream separator from my Grandparents.  Pour the milk in, crank the handle and it would spin out the cream.  That's where I acquired my taste for skim milk.

Hmmm......... Now I'm going to have to call my mother and find out where that cream separator ended up. That's the type of antiques I like, but I bet they sold it .

Daydreamer1

We did 10 this morning. Mr Jamgles was having quite a morning, he dispatched 2 coons, carried a possum for a half mile, snacked on a field mouse, and almost got sprayed by a skunk. He was tired out by the time we got home.

If that's a picture of Mr Jangles, I'll take him . He looks and sounds like my kind of mutt.

Gator eye

Yeah that's Jangles ^ he's  always ready for something. Lol

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hi...umm no run may run after work..dealing with chest cold.  Need to get my shit together...

QOTD:  I used to drink skim. but I don't drink milk anymore but do miss it.    Almond milk is not as good, cold or satisfying..

Oh and Sandy...WOW that was a scary time for you and pretty cool of your daughter.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Wednesday here, got up and did 10 miles on the streets.  It was ugly, but had to be done. I got a little lost because China and Google Maps (which is used by MapMyRun) don't cooperate very well.  It tends, to "shift" your location by about a quarter mile.  But I know the city pretty well and can make "adjustments" for the shift and sort of figure out where I am and which way to go.  It does make things interesting though.

Just spoke with Devan, update on the horses;  70 horses saved, 4 still missing, and 1 confirmed dead. One of the missing is an up-and-coming youngster named Munchie who Devan rode in a 75 miler about 6 weeks ago. Still hopeful that he'll be found OK in the deep woods somewhere. They just found the 70th saved horse 5 miles downstream laying on the side of the river exhausted, but he perked up once people started caring for him, Devan saw him float by her yesterday with his head underwater, she thought he was gone.

qotd: I get some local Korean milk labeled "low fat and calcium". It tastes like it's about 1%, at home I drink skim.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just a quick 3.2 miles in the neighborhood to keep my mini streak of 9 days going.

QOTD: I buy skim milk for use on my cereal and in coffee if I run out of creamer.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.