Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 32 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

12+ miles which should have been easy. Well, they weren't.

For some reason, it was very hard for me today, my legs hurt, and each hill felt like a huge mountain. I wanted to run longer, but the pain in my right leg is still there, and it did not improve with the miles, so I called it a day after 12, and was very happy to be done (which rarely happens).

My misfortune kept following me step by step.

I crushed my foot between two rocks, so badly that even through the shoe and cushioned sock I suffered scrapes and a bruise.

Scratched my arm bloody on a dead tree.

Got eaten alive by nasty black gnats.

And on a swampy trail, I ran into a branch that stuck out from the brush. I thought my thigh was getting impaled, and the impact bumped me right into the mud, but eventually the branch budged, and it only left a nasty 7-inch scrape and a deep bruise across my thigh. Painful, but still better than ending up as shishkebab for the bears. 

LB2: spiders - yummy. Especially the ones with the fat, high-protein legs. 

Nancy: DH had a great idea for preventing this in the future: wear headphones!

AT: I was thinking of using the light, but was too lazy to actually try it. Might have solved the problem much more quickly and without the goopy mess.

Jamie: I have ordered sports glasses, and I can't wait until they are ready. I usually wear the glasses outside the hat, so that the temples don't bother me, but yesterday, I forgot and paid the price.

wc: Yes, I still have a "strange" feeling in that ear, even though all parts and pieces are removed (flushed it with Simple Saline several times).

XT: Do you happen to have astigmatism? I think this is what makes it worse. I did not have this before, and I could see fairly well in the night with the headlamp, but now it is really a challenge. I hope the sports glasses will work better (they fit better and don't hurt as much with the "bumping" from jumping over the rocks), and of course, frequent battery changes!

Queen: I did not think of asking them for such delicate intervention... 

DD1: Love that "ritual" comment. I'll save it for another occasion. 

QOTD2: For May, I'll say over 150 for sure (100 miles from the race, plus some tapering and recovery, nothing more planned).

For April, I don't know. Probably above 200, almost all on gnarly trails.

Fun Fact: When I map my runs, the "satellite view" of the trailhead shows my car, and me, pulling a towel out of my car after a run. I think they customize the maps for every user, right? 

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Couch - Don't know if I have astigmatism or not. I am very nearsighted and do have some difficulty with night vision regardless. Oh, and another rough run for you. Must have the MMT curse. First year I trained for it I fell on my back deck, had to go to the ER for stitches, and then kept falling on the trail adding insult to injury. Ran the HAT run as a tune-up race, landed on the only rock on the course, impaled my belly and looked like someone knifed with a shank. Yes, another ER trip for that one. Made it to the race though. It only thundered and poured and rained something fierce. It was all worth it!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

XT, LOL. Is there any way to break that MMT curse other than enduring the race? Thunder and rain sound nice... 

I am nearsighted, too, my vision probably barely beats that of a mole. Last time when I took a vision test at the eye doc, I could not even SEE the letters on the chart, not even the largest ones...  and thanks to the astigmatism, I have now double vision - using only one eye, not both 

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

3 on the home trails today... been experimenting with the pomodoro timer and it fit in nicely. Ive been running the same course at the same intensity the last three days without a watch on my wrist and it's cool to see the times drop as I recover. I've been thinking of doing the runs in the next training cycle in pomodoros ;-) Taken all the way that would also mean 5 minutes of walking for every 25 minutes of running as well.

qotd: 1 pomodoro lol... yeah, like 3 miles here, too. 2 is rare and usually to keep me from going stir crazy when I'm not supposed to be running at all

Gator eye

We did the usual 8 this am, would really like to crank it up another notch and hit a couple 10's during the week but ther just isn't enough hours in the day.

Agter reading this this thread I think I'm going to start wearing ear plugs as warm weather running gear.

QOTD: 6 mile is the least I'll do, I thought about 5 a few times but it's a odd number and that would just be crazy.

Sandy-2

SRD for me.  Went to an ENT guy for my dizziness, didn't get much help.  Only a nasal spray and a referral to another "really good balance guy".  I think I'll give it some time since I am seeing some improvement each day, plus the "balance guy" didn't have any free appointments before I have to go back to Korea next week. My theory is that this is somehow related to allergies and it will pass after a while (crosses fingers).

This evening I went with my DD and some of her friends to see the new Avengers Movie.  Fun times, a lot of comic geeks so it was funny to watch with them. Some of it was filmed in Seoul so that was kinda cool for me (maybe that is why it opened in Korea last week).

FTYC: Sheesh, a couple of funky days out there. I guess that means your MMT will go smoothly. Let's hope so anyway.

qotd: 3 miles are my "instant runs".

tbd.