Trailer Trash

Tuesday (Read 16 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am already thinking ahead to Friday.  Why? Simply because I do not want to work.    Had a nice 3.1 mile run last night.  Front was blowing in so it was warm with a cool wind.  Lightning flashes to the west but overhead skies were clear.

QOTD: How do you deal with stress normally?

I would love to say I run to help deal with stress.  While running is a nice break from stress, I cannot run every time I am faced with stressful situations.  Unfortunately I internalize my stress.  I know it's not a healthy thing.  I pray and this helps.  But it's all still a work in progress.  I ask because the last week has been overly stressful at work.  It has me eagerly looking to the future when I am not here.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Probably another day off today. Feel pretty good post race but the spot that has been bothering me on/off all year (quad attachment to left knee) is barking at me a bit for the abuse I dished out on it on Sunday. Plus I have one more batch of canna bulbs to plant in the garden this evening.

QOTD: running, a cold beer, petting/holding one of the dogs, a nice walk, managing the chaos before it turns to stress with lists.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Gym day the way it looks. I had some nice strength gains over the winter now my motivation to go lift is flagging. Very typical of me and strength training.  I might run after that but probably not.  Have a bunch of yard work to do and I'd rather do that today and run tomorrow.

QOTD:  Internalize, Internalize, Internalize, Internalize.  I will die young because of that.  I'd like to say that when it gets real bad I can meditate or something along that line but over the past few years I tend to drop a few more F bombs and other descriptive terms than I should.

Maybe I should differentiate between what I will call normal understandable stress and bullcrap type of stress.  Normal stress is the things that you expect to deal with. For example in my job it would be the really sick people, or at home it's things breaking and needing fixed. Those things I just devise a solution to the problem and work through it.  In those cases the stress actually becomes enjoyable if that makes any sense.

The bullcrap stress is brought on by the stupid $hit that people do, mostly at work, that is just , well, totally stupid and nonsensical.  That is the stuff I handle as described in the first paragraph.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi folks,

What a timely QOTD, Jamie.

Started my day with an awesome 5 mile trail run. I changed my work hours

so I can have an extra 30mins in the morning, today was the first day.

It didn't feel good to sit in the car for over an hour for my commute, but the

run was great.

Congrats to the racers from last week/weekend. You folks are throwing

around 50 milers, hard 50k's and HM's/10k's/5k's like its nothing! Am I

in the right forum?

QOTD: Phew, must be something with the alignment of the planets the past

few weeks. Still figuring out ways to deal/manage stress. I talk with DW

often about issues, running is helpful. I just talked to a manager at work

today about expectations of me, that was helpful.

Gator eye

10 windy, wet, and cold miles this morning. I wish Mother Nature would take a quick look at a calender.

QOTD: I got rid of it by quitting my job. New job is pretty much stress free and I get more time off. Less money but at this point in my life its a nice change of pace.

NorthernHarrier

Did 6 easy, lazy (aka slowww) miles in the Arb this morning. Basically just some movement. This is a place I run where in the spring I normally would see on average 35-40 turkeys each time out but today nothing. Not a gobble or anything. Very weird. Could be the rainy weather, foliage is now busting out, breeding season winding down, IDK. Weird.

QOTD--Since I sold my business in early 2013 I have no stress. The jobs I took to just slide by after that had low stress and were replaceable if I thought the stress didn't match the wages.  I do occasionally worry about things I have no control over like worrying about my daughter who is going thru a brutal pregnancy. I think there is a difference between stress and worrying anyway??

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm at a confernce in So Cal... so My plan was to run to this oark and then to laps on a trail that is a mile.  So when I stepped out of the hotel there was a girl on the corner across the street.. looked like a runner.  Ended up being an x co-worker so we ran to disney land and back.  Umm one mile was 7.33  she gonna kill me!  But man did those 4 miles go pass fast!  Plus the yacking.  Then went to gym and played around.

Qotd:  at work I bullshit with my friend to relieve the daily stress of having coworkers to deal with.  Otherwise I run, drink, dogs, and a good cry never hurts anyone especially when your alone.  Mostly interenlize since no one really gives a shit about your issues....I remind myself I have an awesome life as in life..... and physically healthy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

my daughter who is going thru a brutal pregnancy

Congrats, Grandpa!!  (I'm going to start calling you gramps now.  Ha!)  You just have the one daughter, right?

I ran once over the weekend.  I may try to run tomorrow.  I'm thinking two days a week or so should be a good starting point.

QOTD: Run, bike, long walks, read, vent, cry.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

12 miles in the windy trails. Almost did a road run since winds were howling at 25 mph +, but decided to stray into the woods.  Heard some noised from the trees that made me look up a few times, but got out unscathed.

Queen - drinking on the airplane and running. Sounds like social workers get good conferences. Do they know you're leaving soon?

QOTD:  I problem solve right away when things start to get out of hand. Running and reading helps.  Socializing is good too. I agree, worrying and stress can be different unless your worrying leads to stress.

I heard this advice years ago, and I am always reminded of it.

1) If you can't control it, don't stress over it.

2) If things aren't going as expected, sometimes you need to alter you expectations.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

made a few modest gains at the gym strength training; I've pretty much been in "maintenance" mode for a couple of years, so gains are far and few.

Going to hit the trails after work for 5-ish.

qotd: I don't have much stress in my life (knock on wood); little stupid stressors like watching the news, idiots that can't drive, weather, etc but those are short lived.

I think it helps to spend more time contemplating all the blessings one has vs things that aren't going exactly as you want them to.  The blessings generally outweigh any negatives by a large magnitude.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Mandy, just the one daughter.  I think when she moved to Utah she started acting like a Mormon by getting married and breeding way too early.     Now she is under strict orders to stay in bed until the hatch. And in my selfish world I just want to pick the date and induce so it doesn't screw up my plans. 

I heard this advice years ago, and I am always reminded of it.

1) If you can't control it, don't stress over it.

2) If things aren't going as expected, sometimes you need to alter you expectations.

At- my wife says something similar and my response is "if I can control it I have no reason to worry. It's what I have no control over is what worries me."

The other line I question is when people say that everything will work out. No, sometimes things don't work out well and shit just happens. We move forward because the world keeps spinning but sometimes we are far worse off.  Sorry to be so negative. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy, just the one daughter.  I think when she moved to Utah she started acting like a Mormon by getting married and breeding way too early.     Now she is under strict orders to stay in bed until the hatch. And in my selfish world I just want to pick the date and induce so it doesn't screw up my plans. 

Okay, that's why I asked...I knew she was still pretty young.  Well, as long as she's happy!  And that just means more time with the grandkids for you!

Running is dumb.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I think it helps to spend more time contemplating all the blessings one has vs things that aren't going exactly as you want them to.  The blessings generally outweigh any negatives by a large magnitude.

Queen mentioned this too.
                            One trick I learned last year when I was going through a period of negativity is to think of 3 things I'm grateful for. Maybe

it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing, but on the days I remember to do that my whole attitude shifts.

NHLA

8 miles around the mountain.  Nice morning.

Qotd  in  stressful situations I ask what could I do differently? Many times I am part of the problem.

Sandy-2

Did 3 mi after work today.  While my pace wasn't really too bad, my legs felt really sluggish, which was expected.  It was just a loosening up sort of run anyway.

qotd: I'm pretty laid back and although I do have stress at work I learned a long time ago to let it roll off my back.  I just have found that getting stressed out usually negatively affects your performance anyway, so chill and deal with it.  If all else fails there is running.  If that doesn't work, there's sleeping.

tbd.