Trailer Trash

Runamuck Fat Ass 50km report (Read 24 times)

bagge_pants

Hey All, 

I was able to complete my first ultra, 50k in 11:47~ pace with 4600'+ gain and equal loss... and had fun while doing so! I'm now taking a well deserved weeks rest and will swim and spin until like April 13th and then when I'm back in Calif I start running again. I'm already looking forward to some easy mileage building, hiking and getting ready for summer short races and maybe another ultra for fall.

This was my first ultra type run. I have covered the distance before a few times years ago during hikes but this was one I was trying to run. I still carried a backpack with clothing and stuff because I have fastpacked before, and plan to do so again and wanted to use this as a training run. Eventually I want to also do more ultra distance runs. My pack with food and water and extras probably weighed 7 lbs.

There was an aid station at mile 13 and mile 24. I rested maybe 3 minute at the first one while filling up bottles and eating and rested maybe 5 minutes and the last one. Maybe two minutes rest for pissing and a couple minutes at the end of the run before I remembered to stop the watch. I felt pretty out of it to be honest from the start. I slept poorly and used a lot of caffeine and my heart rate was pretty high all the time and I was pouring sweat.

At the finish the lady taking my time told me I was the sweatiest person all day. Around mile 18 is when I felt my energy levels go way down and my quads felt like crap and my toe had a really sharp pain. I honestly thought the toe pain was a popped blood blister but at the end in the car when I was brave enough to look at the damage it was a pine needle, 1/3" into my toe. Go, figure. It didn't hurt too much, the pain was in m quads.

Some times around mile 28+ I tried running fast after skipping and did so for short bursts but would always end in a slight calf cramp - electrolytes low. The last mile was on road and I tried to keep form and finish strong-ish. I always wonder how much fatigue at the end of a long run is mental? Maybe a lot.

Overall a great training run for me as I was walking semi normal again after 3 hours after the fat ass. Good things were - no chaffing, no stomach issues, had fun, good company, great dirt roads to run on, free low-key event with excellent organization and met my friend Amy from Maine for the first time after being Facebook friends for years. And the rain was never more than a drizzle and the temps were very ideal for running.

https://www.strava.com/activities/533982936

NHLA

Congrats on your first Ultra!!  Sounds like a tough course.

Daydreamer1

That's a nice area for a scenic run.  I always enjoyed getting up that way when I was driving truck. Delivered into quite a few dairy farms.

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations!

Sweatiest person award should have a prize, like a water bottle or something.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very nice! And 7 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but sure could get to you if are running that distance.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Great job.  Congrats !!!

tbd.

muppy

Very nice Baggee pants, congratulations!

I might give you a run for the sweatiest runner.

LB2

As long as you had fun, you succeeded. Congratulations.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats!  I've run several ultras, but I don't think any were sub 12 minutes- that's pretty darn good for a trail run, with a pack and 4600' of gain.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Baggae...skipping huh?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄