Trailer Trash

Best time of Year to Visit the Grand Canyon? (Read 47 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It won't be this year, but next year (hopefully) - I think I might be able to talk DH into taking a week long vacation to the Grand Canyon, but I want to avoid the busiest times so any advice? I also would like to rent a cabin, not a hotel. Any advice?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

It's busy from late spring to early winter.  I would shoot for after school starts, maybe late september because you also get the Aspens changing color at higher elevations.  I would still avoid the Canyon itself on the weekends.  On the housing front, I'd recommend Airbnb.com as a good way to get into a cabin or house or room that is more interesting than a hotel.  Lots of good options in and around Flagstaff for reasonable prices.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm hoping for more of the week, not weekend. Monday through Friday maybe, I was thinking either early Spring or mid Fall. Mid Fall would have Dorian getting closer to 4 years old, probably a little bigger while early Spring he wouldn't yet be 3 so we'll have to see. Definitely don't want to go during Spring Break or any holidays, that is for sure.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It's busy from late spring to early winter.  I would shoot for after school starts, maybe late september because you also get the Aspens changing color at higher elevations.  I would still avoid the Canyon itself on the weekends.  On the housing front, I'd recommend Airbnb.com as a good way to get into a cabin or house or room that is more interesting than a hotel.  Lots of good options in and around Flagstaff for reasonable prices.

Pretty much all of this.  I think Fall is best because of the trees changing colors but coming from Indiana (if I remember correctly you're in IN.) that probably isn't that big of a deal for you.  Still the aspens are beautiful.  And make sure to make reservations well in advance as places tend to fill up fast in Flagstaff.  There's also a vibrant downtown in Flagstaff with some pretty decent restaurants and craft breweries if you're in to that sort of thing.

You people have issues 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think Fall of 2015 will definitely be the answer, Indiana is beautiful in the Fall.......... not really Evansville or Chandler though lol. I have to drive an hour just to see the true beauty (the Hoosier National Forest). I would love to visit in the Fall or early Winter, especially if the cabins/lodges have a hot tub. Though, most places have a maximum reservation time of 13 months in advance.... but that does give me a long time to research and decide. Smile

Pretty much all of this.  I think Fall is best because of the trees changing colors but coming from Indiana (if I remember correctly you're in IN.) that probably isn't that big of a deal for you.  Still the aspens are beautiful.  And make sure to make reservations well in advance as places tend to fill up fast in Flagstaff.  There's also a vibrant downtown in Flagstaff with some pretty decent restaurants and craft breweries if you're in to that sort of thing.

PRs

.......... not really Evansville or Chandler though lol

Bwhahahaha!  I grew up in Evansville.  This is a very true statement!

I love the GC in October.  Nice days, cool nights.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am so glad somebody else knows what I am talking about!

October is definitely a desirable month, that is for sure.

Bwhahahaha!  I grew up in Evansville.  This is a very true statement!

I love the GC in October.  Nice days, cool nights.

PRs