Trailer Trash

Painful Mondays (Read 42 times)

Watoni

Leaving Leadville today for SLC so I can catch a flight to Wisconsin. A lot of sitting won't be great for an aching body.

I want to mention that Watoni did an amazing job at Leadville this weekend. It was his first 100 miler and he handled like a pro!

QOTD: I would suggest hill repeats and a lot of slow, sustained hiking on the steepest hills you can find.

Amen! Back at work now in the midst of a stressful deal supposed to launch in an hour ... taking the family to the airport, flying and drivng to work has been a whirlwind.

Great to see Lace (and Jo) out there. Lace has it dialed. I had a plan with drop bags and it worked ok. I left some time on the table by not having a crew but I felt better that way.

Other than some foot pad blisters (look fine but painful), I feel good (or is that common and then you crash two days later?). If I can take the toe pressure I will go for a bike ride after work . Legs just want to keep going, I think ... feet did not like walking through the airport, to long-term parking, etc. Smile

QOTD: I just do hills, but then I have some despite being at sea level ...

NorthernHarrier

Longbeard,

More QOTD-- I thought of one more thing while driving about and I see no one has mentioned it I don't think.  Somehow, someway practice some long, steep descents at race pace/effort.  Just as critical based on my mountain races I've done. I have just shredded my quads at a couple events and that makes the ensuing climbs even more difficult.

You must be planning something eh?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The plan is to go home and run 6 with Earl.  Spent all day interviewing people so really just want to go straight to a glass of wine!  Blush  Painful is a good titled.  One woman told us how her las supervisor took him by the throat and pushed her against the wall and also how a customer accused her of flirting with her husband.  Poor woman doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut.

QOTD:  clueless so just going to say A...hill repeats.  I don't think a treadmill or stairmasters duplicate the reality of running up a hill on a trail.  You could visit other runners who live in the mountians.

Watoni:  Congratualations on your first time.  I didn't realize you were running this.

Couch:  LB2 is Young.  In my book anyway.

Low-02:  Also congratualations on your Peak Ascent...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

traildc: I found a cute little tea shop in the Rockville/Bethesda area, the Bubble Tea Shop. When I get to the DC area again, we might go for a run along Cabin John Trail, and then re-hydrate at the Bubble Tea Shop. Also fun for the kids!

sounds like a plan!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening- mighty smoky here this evening, fire season is taking a turn for the worse in the West Sad

qotd: a if you have to pick one, all of the above if you have time-  agree w/ NHarrier that downhill running in the mountains can be as brutal (and often more) than uphill and it does take practice (as does power walking uphill!)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

+1 on Harrier's thoughts.

I have trashed my quads when I did not practice running steep downhills fast - something I usually do, but not during the last training phase for that race. Made for a quite long and painful day.

7 hilly miles this evening. It was hard at first, but then it was actually fun, even though I fell on my (least) favorite, steep downhill because the rocks were not just wet, but nastily slick from the rain and humidity. I even slipped and slid on the blacktop on the last quarter mile back to the car - maybe time for new shoes. Those sharp PA rocks are not exactly great for falls.

Queen: Oh, yes, I remember. I think he's young even in my book - oops. Shocked

One more thought on the QOTD: Running on a treadmill (with incline) is running, walking on the Stairmaster is walking. That said, the Stairmaster is probably great for simulating those really steep, rocky trails where you have to hike, stepping from one large rock onto the next, like on steps. I have found that my muscles tend to cramp up after many miles when I have to "climb", and the Stairmaster is probably good for getting your muscles stronger and better prepared for those situations, espcially in very long races.

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

One more thought on the QOTD: Running on a treadmill (with incline) is running, walking on the Stairmaster is walking. That said, the Stairmaster is probably great for simulating those really steep, rocky trails where you have to hike, stepping from one large rock onto the next, like on steps. I have found that my muscles tend to cramp up after many miles when I have to "climb", and the Stairmaster is probably good for getting your muscles stronger and better prepared for those situations, espcially in very long races.

Ha - I saw a hybrid version in the gym of the resort we stayed at last week: platinum blonde set the treadmill to max steepness, leaned back to be perpendicular to the treadmill and held on for dear life while powerwalking with her silicone boobs bouncing like squirrels in a peanut factory.

Actually, this should have been my answer to the QOTD.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k