Trailer Trash

The Tuesdaily (Read 31 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  It's a XT day for me, I'll get in some much needed strength training in at the gym.  Maybe some yoga, too.  Need to fit it in before I head to the local Ben & Jerry's for my free ice cream cone.  a bit OT, but it is free cone day, if you have a ben & jerry's shop by you.

qotd:  How often do you eat ice cream?  And what is your favorite flavor(s)?  As a kid, I used to eat it almost every day after school but as a responsible adult, I try to keep it to once a week or so.  More in the summer, and especially when I make it myself (I often go the frozen yogurt route).  Coconut and pineapple is pretty good, in my book.   Cannot stand vanilla.

AT-runner

Tim

Morning guys. I'm moving very well today. My buddy is 80% better. He told me his tube got kinked when we filled up packs at North Rim and couldn't get a lot of water. He didn't want to  stop and fix it. I yelled at him. He's no rookie, but what a mistake to let yourself dehydrate.

Going to walk around the South rim today and off to Scottsdale for a few days of golf. When I can get to my computer, I'll post some pics.

Couch - congratulations on getting in.

QOTD : I'm not a big ice cream eater, so only on vacation usually. DW eats a small scoop almost every night.  Now if we're talking cookies, I'm eating them all.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

Good morning.  My son woke up early this morning, so I talked my wife into getting up & putting on her running shoes, put our son in the running stroller, and went for a little over 3 miles along the river.  It's starting to get a little lighter out in the mornings now, which I like.

QOTD:  I love ice cream, and sometimes I eat it everyday.  Right now I'm trying to take off 10 pounds, so I haven't had any in about 2 weeks.  That's a long time for me when it comes to ice cream.  I like almost any flavor, although I really like chocolate chip when it's done well.  I also really like vanilla with a little strawberry jam and crushed peanuts on top.  In the summer, I also make homemade frozen yogurt using an old hand-crank cedar bucket and the berries from our garden.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I stopped by a trail yesterday on my way home from a work meeting.  Was "hot" out.  That hit me hard.  I am not complaining - just need to get used to it.  Oh - it was only 71 degrees I think.

That was my first run in a week.  Been struggling a lot since being sick a few weeks ago.  Struggling physically (legs and back) which is effecting my motivation - a lot.  Not trying to be a downer, just speaking truth.

AT - glad to hear it went well - for you at least.  Your friends decision about fixing the kink reminds me of a dumb mistake I made.  I was on a training run with Couch before her first 100 at OC.  I made the drive to her trails.  We ended up being out I think for 4-5 hours of night running.  We stopped by the cars after 5 miles or so.  I didn't eat anything and later bonked.  I should know better.  So AT you had every right to yell at him.  Can't wait to hear more about it and see some pictures.

OH and CONGRATS Couch on getting in! It's about to get real....

QOTD: ICE CREAM is my favorite.  I eat a bowl practically every night.  No real favorite flavor.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Did not run yesterday my head cold is getting me..oh and that time of month...but will try to muster 5 at lunch today.

QOTD: I'll go a couple of months without any and then have it a couple times...so it probably averages out to once a month.  I was recently turned on the ginger ice cream...yummmm has big chunks of ginger in it.  Other than that any chocolate flavor.

AT:  Glad to hear you made it out of the canyon and enjoyed yourself.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Worked the early shift today, very unusual for me on a Tuesday, so I'm a bit off. Planning on hitting the trails a bit later, after my second breakfast has settled. Wonderful weather again, cloudy, temps in the high 50's, low 60's.

I just found two movies on youtube which I had been looking for for years. Two Austrian-Bavarian movies ("Oesterreich - Schwabenkinder im Film", and "Herbstmilch"), about 20+ years old, which give a good description of what life was like 50 to 120 years ago. Some of it reminds me much of when I was a little child, when my family would visit relatives and my dad's friends who were fairly poor and lived in the countryside under similar conditions. Unfathomable today, but I remember it very well.

I have always wanted my kids (now the older ones, it's a bit too much for the little ones) to see these movies, but could never find them. I'm glad someone has uploaded them recently!

Now I'm watching them to prepare for simultaneously translating them for DH, too. They are all in heavy dialect (is that what it's called, heavy, or broad, or deep dialect?), so I assume no-one in my family, except for me, understands all of it. I'll also have to explain a lot about the background of the movies, and the symbolic images they use. I think I'm looking at a multi-hour project here, but I love it! Maybe the kids won't like it as much as I do, but I want them to know where their roots are, and what the culture in Austria was like some time ago. Call it a "history project".

Nancy: Free cone day? And I don't know about that?   Good thing I have to do some errand downtown today - coincidally, there's a Ben&Jerry's right there...

sugnim: Sounds wonderful!

AT: Recover well. Vegas seems to work great for recovery, but Scottsdale might not be so bad, either. 

Jamie: I remember that night run. It was fun, though (at least for me - and no sarcasm intended)

Queen: Head cold, don't even mention it. However, I found that running really clears out my sinuses and reduces the headache. Now that sore throat, that's another story...

QOTD: Not a big ice cream eater, too. I like it at times, but most ice cream is way to sweet and fatty for me. I prefer Austrian-style ice cream, by some gourmets considered the best in the world. Usually 100% natural, not very sweet, not very fatty, and rich in taste. My favorites are chocolate-coffee-nuts varieties, less the fruity palette.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Probably some hill work on the bike, and then maybe 4-6 trying out the shoe inserts the PT recommended (Archmolds) on a short hilly loop?

Go Couch! Sounds like a great project.

QOTD: Wow, this needs its own separate topic for me since I have an amazing gelato maker that I got for Xmas in 2013. The key is using either a custard base (eggs/sugar/milk) or in rare instances milk/cream, but never eggs/milk/cream. Gelato is about 9% fat on average versus U.S. ice cream at over 20%. Here is a sampling

Gelato's

Liam's favorite: Italian-style chocolate chip (stracciatella) -- you pour melted chocolate in at the end and the machine chops/freezes it into the vanilla base

Chocolate gelato with roasted s

Chocolate hazelnut

Bourbon raisin

Pistachio (I roast them myself)

Banana bourbon

Espresso

Lemon (lots of work, but heavenly)

Sorbetto:

Strawberry/champagne

blood orange

papaya/pineapple (kid's favorite)

grapefruit with sweet muscat wine (adult's favorite)

blackberry/zinfandel

XtremeTaper

Day off from running here.. I did do a shake out run yesterday before I left FL. Just a short easy 5 mile jog on the Ross Prarie trail loop. Feeling pretty much aok after the 12 hour just the normal soreness but felt a little PF in my right foot last night that has since gone away. Figure a day off is warranted plus well I have to complete my taxes.

QOTD: I am on an ice cream hiatus but suppose mint chocolate chip was one of my favorites, not counting Karmel Sutra from Ben N' Jerry. Switched to sherbet to lower fat consumption. My problem with ice cream is I'd eat 3-4 serving at once.

Couch - MMT!!! Congrats. I'll answer anything I can but frankly I think that is your kind of course!

AT - Congrats on the canyon.. scary about your friend. Enjoy the golf!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

For some reason I can't get going today. I did get some odds and ends straightened up around the house, but there is still a lot to do in the garage and outside that I just can't get the motivation to get started at.  I had planned on a long run on the mountain today but decided to just stick around the house on a short run. Trying not to beat up my legs too much before the race this weekend.  At this point I'll probably only do 4-5 miles today.

runtrail - Wish I could get myself to like strength training.

AT - Glad to hear you survived the GC. Can't wait to hear the full details.

FTYC - Too bad those movies aren't done with English subtitles.

QOTD: I'm very sporadic with my ice cream consumption. When I do have it I often eat too much. I like anything with chocolate or fudge. Peanut Butter is also a plus. It's difficult for me to pick a favorite, but for a while Weis Markets ( one of our regional grocery chains) had a excellent chocolate marshmallow. It was really creamy with lots and lots of marshmallow swirled through, but only if you got it in the large buckets. For some reason the smaller containers didn't have as much marshmallow.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

9 easy miles up and down the mountain. I saw 6 dead toads along the way, wondered what had happened? It rained last night, so they probably were out early in the morning when they met their demise.

Two turkeys crossed my path as well, and they were alive!

Watoni: That ice cream sampler could be my order list... When I was a kid, my dad had an ice cream maker, and the base he used was eggs/sugar/milk. We had ice cream almost every day, different flavors like vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate-hazelnut, chocolate, coffee,... Glad I was in a growth spurt then! 

I bet your kids will remember and cherish the time "when daddy had an ice cream maker", too!

XT: Thank you, I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions. I still have to read your RR!

DD1: Sounds like chores overload. Some days are just like that, you know there's lots to do, you are eager to do "something", but then just don't get out of the start box. Oh well. Enjoy your run!

Now off to the ice cream store, and later chocolate pie for DS's birthday! (Good thing I ran a few miles today...)

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Will try to get in 6-ish miles in after work

qotd Blue Bunny chocolate Boudreaux cherry or Wilkinson ice cream sandwich almost every night

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

Ran 2.5 trail miles last night, and called it quits because my hip flexor or groin muscle was hurting pretty bad.

Congratulations Couch on getting into MMT!

Congratulations AT on your R2R2R,  that's amazing !

QOTD  I love ice cream,  peanut butter ripple, butter pecan,  cookie dough!  My absolute favorite Is  vanilla ice cream with saltine crackers crumbled over it, I learned that from my grandfather .

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Felt good and had a good run. Relaxing now thinking about ice cream for some odd reason.

QOTD: I don't have it nearly as often as I would like. Favorites are flavors like Mint Chip, Chocolate Chip Mint, Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough. I use vanilla for root beer floats.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

No run today. Work and grandmother duty.

AT: so glad you had a great time (and likely, you still are).

Couch: congratulations. I am not familiar with the nomenclature...which race did you get into? When is it?

Qotd: I love ice cream. But alas...I am not able to eat it due to digestive issues. I do, on occasion have an ice cream cone from McDonald's....and there is some almond milk ice cream I buy at the grocery store occasionally.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

moonlight: I hope you had fun with the grandkids!

It's the Massanutten 100 that I got into. It's held on May 16-17 near Luray, VA, and its motto is "Massanutten rocks" - and they mean it literally!

Run for fun.