Trailer Trash

Your thoughts on hydro packs (Read 49 times)

I have an Ultimate Direction Adventure PB Adventure vest that I'm really starting to like.  I hate the UD kicker valve bottles though.  I also have a Camelbak Marathoner vest that fits well and works great for shorter runs.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

The only pack I have ever bought is the SLab5.  I really like the underarm routing of the drink tube.  I wore it for 11 hours when I did Stone Mill and it was comfortable the whole time.  Things that aren't great (for me): the velcro attachment on the left strap for the removable pockets requires attention sometimes...if you load up the pocket it doesn't really hold that great especially as the velcro ages; the loops on the back should allow for use of a bungee on the outside of the pack, which I added, but which ripped one of the tabs pretty quickly (tried to add a place to stow a light jacket); mine came with the bladder (older model), thats a lot of money to spend for a pack without a bladder, especially since you have to buy the Solomon bladder.  I do use/like the soft flasks that the new ones come with, but they are somewhat out-dated now as "Hydraflask" has released improved flasks which carry more and have some convenience features.

Overall, its a really comfortable pack, with decent storage.  I really like the pack, the things I don't like are pretty picky.  I splurged on it last year and considering the miles I have done with it, I think it was a good buy even at the high price point.  I'd advise to get the 12 if you are planning on stowing clothing.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I still run with my S-Lab pack sometimes and it really is a good pack. When I worked on the design team for the Osprey Rev series, I used the S-Lab as my benchmark for excellence. Between the S-Lab and Rev, there are things I like and dislike on both of them.

Chnaiur

I have an Ultimate Direction Adventure PB Adventure vest that I'm really starting to like.  I hate the UD kicker valve bottles though.  I also have a Camelbak Marathoner vest that fits well and works great for shorter runs.

I replaced the bottles with bike bottles. They fit in the UD SJ vest.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if you don't need or like bottles than the UD Signature series is probably not for you.  for races I prefer bottles over a bladder (one for calories, one for water) so the AK pack works well, no bounce experienced by me w/ many hundred miles of varied terrain.  it does have room for a small bladder in the rear pack, I carried a 1.5 liter bladder (in conjunction w/ the bottles) when we did Joshua Tree and it worked well.  the stretch pack holds surprisingly more than would one think by looking at it

for long runs in the backcountry, I've had good luck w/ Mountain Hardwears Fluid 6 http://www.mountainhardwear.com/fluid-6-OU4516.html

I use it in conjunction w/ a single handheld.  it has more room for additional clothing/supplies vs the AK and can use a 2 liter bladder w/ it

it's a vest style pack so it rides much nicer than a traditional day pack

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √