Trailer Trash

How do I train for that? (Read 42 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am eyeing an ultra which features several hills that are way higher in elevation gain on each single hill than anything in my area.

In my area, the highest hills have 1,100 to 1,500 ft elevation gain, and at the ultra, there's 3,000 ft-hills. The highest altitudes are similar, nothing that would cause trouble.

Is it enough to train for the long hills in the ultra with hill repeats, and in the race just take it easy and take a short break if needed, or should I put extra effort into somewhat regular treadmill training - downside of that is that the treadmill incline is much lower than the trail. Lots of strength training?

I am not sure about the terrain, but assume it will be similar to what I have in my usual area (central PA rocks, perhaps some larger rocks).

So far, I've done well with hill repeats and just lots of elevation gain overall on my training runs to get ready for ultras with longer hills, but I think I've never run several hills with each more than 2,000 ft elevation gain in a race (or training run).

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wait-- are you asking about training? You don't train - you just run.

My 2 cents, and this is purely theoretical -- your hills are fine to train on.  Nothing else special needed. Having said that, I personally like the stair machine at the gym (the one that looks like an escalator) - just get on and ride it for an hour or more.  Or hill repeats on your hills.

So inquiring minds want to know - what race/event are you referencing?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Haha, I thought the same thing as Jamie. You just run.

I did hill repeats for R2R2R training and when I ran Pikes Peak.  Worked well for me. Amy tempo work will help with hill endurance, in my opinion.

What race?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

I think you will be fine with your current training and hills. I ran Mountain Masochist one year (50 miler) and that race had one sustained climb in the 2,000+ foot range midway through the race. I normally train on hills no larger than 500-600 feet in a single climb. It really was no different, just took longer. A mix of running and hiking got me up there no problem. In fact it was one of the more memorable parts of the race for me.

* The climb up Buck Mountain is a long winding one, but again I find that it's not overly steep. I use a run/walk strategy to make my way up. The views behind me and to the left are pretty much incredible. Mountains receding into the distance for as far as the eye can see under sunny bright blue fall skies. The more I climb, the smaller the hills in the distance become and the more impressive the overall view as I get higher and higher. I am kind of chasing a few runners as I climb, gaining on one and not the other. As I make my way up the hill I start hearing the strangest sounds echoing through the hills. It sounded like music but it was all fuzzy and distorted at first, even disappearing completely as the road switchbacked even higher. Eventually I turned a corner and started heading straight up and there was the music again. The theme from "Rocky". During the last part of the climb a few more religous signs proclaim "You can do anything with God" or something like that and as I behold the mountains and the land below me I'm a bit moved by it all. At the top of the hill I am smiling and very happy to be where I am at this moment. I grab some grapes and other snacks and thank the volunteers for being up on this mountain for me and the other runners today.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

Mills River to the top of the Blue Ridge goes from 2000' to 6000'.  The hard part is comming down.

Do you have to go 3000' down?

Hokas help but it still hurts.

Sandy-2

I'm sure the hills you train on will be fine.  If you feel the need you can go over the top and down the other side....   then back.  :-)

Like you said, a little race day magic should take care of the rest. Race day magic is what I used for my hilly runs when I lived in Houston.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I agree with the others- your hills should be just fine    if the hill becomes less challenging, repeat it, if twice isn't challenging enough, go three times, etc.  I'm pretty sure at some point it will become plenty challenging 

I'm up to three repeats on my hill, slowly working my way towards four- already the climbs on my other routes seem more tame

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

As a flat lander that got through Superior 100 on one legged squats and treadmill runs at 15%, the down hills kicked my butt way more than the up hill.

Even though I never used treking poles before they quickly became the most important piece of equipment I had for the ups and downs.  My body just knew what to do with them without any prior training

1000-1500ft hills are big enough to get the effect of larger hills. Just run / hike them multiple times until you get the total climb and descent of your race. In early parts of training, I usually run the entire hill or hike it. As I get closer to race date, I morph into the specifics of the way I'd execute - or try to execute - on race day.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Keep Going

I also agree with everyone here your hills are plenty. I would just do massive climbing repeats on a nice long sustained 1,200 foot trail climb someplace close to you. I would go try to find a climb that's 1-2 miles long (the longer the better) and just climb up it and jog down and do a 20 mile run on that at least twice a month preferably once a week in the peak months and also do shorter runs incorporating climbs such of that length.

This is really cool! Can't wait to follow your training!

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sooooo...what race are thinking of doing????

Must be one out west.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday