Trailer Trash

TBThursday (Read 19 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I usually don't care much for the throw back stuff but hey why not.  Still going on a mile per day until my back feels good enough to do more.  The little mutt sure likes it.  I won't take her out for more than a mile so for now it's me and her.

QOTD: Best running moment of your life? Best non-running moment of your life?

Running: finishing my first 50 miler.  Not sure why but it sticks out in my mind.  No fan fair - just me and a few people.

Non-running: not sure I have one.  Birth of all three kids maybe.  They were all special.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I did a progression run this morning for a little over 4 miles before daybreak. It got chilly again down here, 38.

QOTD:

Running: It is hard to say. I think finishing my first 100 mile run was great, but I was pissed off when I crossed the line. I think finishing Pinhoti was my best running moment because I was able to stick to my plan and finished very comfortably after totally blowing in previously. I wouldn't say it was easy to finish, but it was very efficient and pleasant the whole time. At least, that is how I remember it. Oh, and pacing Kelly to his first 100 mile win was pretty awesome. I'll never forget that day.

Non-running: I don't know. I have so many "greatest" things that have happened that fall into so many different categories that I can't put my finger on one greatest moment. All three of my girls are very special. And my wife is a greatest thing. Calling up turkeys is something that really gets me fired up, too.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Heading to woods for a few trail miles. 6-8 is the plan.  Snow flurries here right now but weekend looks like low 60°'s.

QOTD:  Running - I think I posted this story before, but my brother and I were on a trip to Ireland, and I got up early with jet lag and went for a long run.  I found a trail and stated following it.  It was a beautiful trail especially with the sun just coming up.  The trail got harder to follow, but I kept exploring and then out of nowhere the ruins of an old church abbey (Muckross Abbey) popped up.  I walked around the ruins and stated getting teary eyed and smiling at the same time.  I found a road and started to go back, but then turned around and took the trail back.  It's still one of my favorite mornings.

Life - The obvious are wedding day and birth of 3 kids, but the day DD#1 moved out west, as she pulled away with DW and I standing in driveway, DW turned to me and said "we did alright".

Muckross Abbey

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Going to head off to bed for a few hours and hopefully get in a nice 5-6 mile run this afternoon before work. Depends on how cold and windy it is. As always it's the wind that I hate and not the cold. If it's blowing in the teens I'll probably pass and jog on my junky TM. For some reason I hate running on this thing, it just feels so, well, hard .  It's just a cheap one that I picked up for a few bucks and is really only designed for walking.

Speaking of TMs. The last time I was to the gym, before yesterday, I ran on their newest one. I was doing intervals at up to 9 mph. That's fast for me and I probably could have done more.  Yesterday I was on a machine that I've run on a lot and is only about 3-4 years old. I wsn't feeling the best but I didn't go over 7.5 mph. Any faster and I was asking to vomit.  Going by my perceived effort and HRM that was consistent with my road speeds right now.   Somehow I think the new Cybex machine is not calibrated quite right.  Maybe I should take advantage of that and set some speed PRs .

QOTD:  Best running moment???   Well maybe my first race at Rothrock. I put in a decent time, was spent at the end but felt good. Since then I don't know that I've been totally happy with any race and while I've enjoyed a lot of good non-race runs nothing stands out.  So......lets talk biking.

1st best moment in biking was topping out Mt Washington back in '09 during Newton's Revenge.  That was pretty cool because I was so spent I could barely walk down the steps to the parking lot.  2nd best was in '12 at the race up Mt Evans in CO. It wasn't so much the ride up because the elevation kicked my butt. But that left my legs with a lot of energy for the 28 mile downhill ride.  From 10000' and down I was hanging with some of the really fast guys.  Nothing like carving the curves on a descent of that length.

Non-running?   I'll go with the first time I took DS deer hunting and he came home with a really nice buck. That was really special because he made a great shot and I made a even greater shot on a doe and we shot simultaneously. My buddy who heard it though it was only one shot.   While not just a moment as it was strung out over 5 weeks, was out 2003 trip to Alaska. All four of us in the pickup that I was going to try to restore.  On the road together for FIVE  weeks. We all returned alive, happy and ready to do it again .  Almost 14 years ago and now I'm helping a buddy plan his trip and kind of realizing that I may never get back up there, at least not by driving.

runtraildc

Crazy snow flurries happening out my window right now.  I'll enjoy it while I can since this has been a very snow light year. And rest day for me, so I'll hit the gym at lunch for my yoga class and a short row.

qotd: a very relaxing, early morning 10 miles along the seashore path in Monterey always comes to mind as a great run.  Had everything- otters, calming waves, sunshine and no one else around.

personally, wedding and my boy's births, of course. And I'll never forget a memorable trip with them all out to Yellowstone and Grand Teton a couple of years ago.

muppy

10.7 miles yesterday on my Horseshoe/rail trail loop.

QOTD Favorite running would be crossing the finish line of first 5k race I did. The longest I ran before that was 2 miles so the fear of failure was looming!

I would say the usual, sons birth, getting married and buying a house. The best of the best would be my son graduating high school. He had some tough times academically (he has ADD and struggled with some things and we would have epic battles trying to get homework done)  and he ended up doing great!  He is a volunteer firefighter and got his CDL driver license while still in school. He had a job driving a concrete truck lined up as soon as he graduated!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

great 5-ish mile run yesterday; I finished my run with my windshirt tied around my waist and just in shirt sleeves! 

I'm guessing probably the first time in 4-5 months.

Strength training after work.

qotd: probably my R2R2R run; was way over my head in reality and suffered immensely for it, but it was epic in the real sense of the word.

of course marriage and kids, but aside from those milestones, getting hired as a game warden was fulfilling a nearly lifelong dream, a dream that many times didn't look too promising

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I ended up not running after work yesterday, traffic going home was a bitch and I didn't feel like it when I finally got there.

I got up early this morning and did 5 pre-dawn miles.  40 deg and really nice.

qotd running: there are many, but the one that always stands out is while I running Western States.  I was going down the first canyon right after Last Chance, about mile 43 or 44.  Six months earlier I had gone to California to be there when my Mom died, she had been failing and we knew I should get out there quickly even though I'd been there only a few months before, while just the two of us were there I told her all about WS and that I'd be back to do it later that summer.  Not sure she could hear me but her breathing would grow smooth and peaceful when I spoke, she passed a day or so later.  Months later while I was cruising down that canyon, I was by myself and it just seemed so peaceful as well.  She just popped into my head, and I just said out "see Mom, told ya I'd be back", my eyes filled up and I could barely see the trail, but I also felt this sense of effortless floating and peace.  I can't really explain it, but it just felt like I was in the exact right place.

qotd non-running:  also too many, but yeah I'd have to say getting married and the births of our DS and DD.  I also have this distinct vision of my DW smiling through her tears when our DS was driving off to college for the first time - I'll never forget it.

tbd.

LB2

Six months earlier I had gone to California to be there when my Mom died, she had been failing and we knew I should get out there quickly even though I'd been there only a few months before, while just the two of us were there I told her all about WS and that I'd be back to do it later that summer.  Not sure she could hear me but her breathing would grow smooth and peaceful when I spoke, she passed a day or so later.  Months later while I was cruising down that canyon, I was by myself and it just seemed so peaceful as well.  She just popped into my head, and I just said out "see Mom, told ya I'd be back", my eyes filled up and I could barely see the trail, but I also felt this sense of effortless floating and peace.  I can't really explain it, but it just felt like I was in the exact right place.

I think one of the most awesome things about running 100 miles for me is that they really just strip me raw on every level. I think we need that. It makes us better people. I don't know if you can get that at any other distance.

LB2

Sandy-2

I think one of the most awesome things about running 100 miles for me is that they really just strip me raw on every level. I think we need that. It makes us better people. I don't know if you can get that at any other distance.

I agree Burke.  It also usually happens when you are out there alone, in some very remote place, and on the edge (mentally that is, not always literally).

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Blustery today so postponed any thoughts of speed work. Ran 4 and called it a day.

qotd: Best running moment has to be finishing my first ultra, 12 hours at North Coast 24 with 49.4 miles, beating out both my first sub-5:00 mile and my first sub-3:00 marathon at Boston which was also my first marathon.

Best non-running moment? Hard to say. I've had a lot of ups and downs so picking one is nearly impossible.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.