Trailer Trash

the weekender (Read 17 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Hello Trailers!

Well.......  the plan was for a 12 mile (out & back) run on snow packed trails; it started out as a packed trail- a mile or so in, I was post holing in 8-18" of snow.  I thought I might get out of the deep snow, but didn't until about the last mile before the turnaround.  So basically 4 miles of running and 8 miles of post holing in deep snow- it's hard to put into words the suck of that.  To give you a little idea- in the summer I often flirt with a two hour finish on this route, today 4:15.

My "it builds fu&king character" look 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's because you went it alone... you needed your Tiny E....in a backpack.    Well Warden I had a perfectly wonderful 19 mikes with a friend and 2 mutts.  The weather was perfect, barelt broke a sweat and was never cold!  The snow in parts was, well a light dusting here and there from Thursday.

Qotd:  Where do you like to sit on a plane, for those who don't fly first ckass.   I don't really care where in the plane but I like the window seat and not above the wing of course.  Like to watch the workd go by below and try to guess where we are above.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

19 miles-nice!

Tiny E probably would have crushed it 

qotd: definitely window seat, I don't mind the wing either as they tend to be a little wider

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Warden - How many f**ks did you say while post holing all those miles?

Queen - So nice when everything aligns and you get a great day in!

Double for me today - 8 AM, 5 PM.  Might go long tomorrow, but weatherman is calling for cold rain.  I'm not diggin' this character building stuff.  Still celebrating Chinese New Years in Chinatown this morning (I asked for a Warden smile, but this was the best they could do).

QOTD:  Totally a window seat person.  And what's this first class you speak of?  The trick is to know where the sun will be whether you're heading east, west, north, or south and the time of day of the flight to know which side of the plane to sit on.   Yeah, I think way too much into this stuff.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

definitely some R rated dialogue today  

at the turnaround I really was tempted to jump onto a snow packed road- a little longer, but would have been significantly quicker and easier; then that little voice "suck it up buttercup" 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

10 today on a paved trail. Threatening rain with t-storms in the forecast so I didn't want to be caught in the woods just in case.

qotd: Prefer the aisle so I have ready access to get up if needed. Window seat on short flights.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

15+ miles on the AT today in the rain. It was pretty fun.

QOTD: I don't fit in a regular airline seat (legs too long). When they see me, they usually give me an exit row, but not always. Once or twice a year I fly to Asia or the Pacific and wow that can be miserable. Last summer from LA to Sydney I didn't get an exit row, but I did have an empty seat next to me, so I could sit sideways. If I don't have an exit row, but get an aisle seat, I can put my knees into the aisle and just have to move every time the cart or something comes through. I literally cannot put my legs in front of me. To answer the question, I prefer the window.

btw, I was American "Gold" for a few years (came up 500 miles short last year) and was supposed to automatically get upgrades. Number of upgrades I actually got (and I did ask each time): zero. I did get upgraded from Tokyo to US a couple years ago on JAL, that was glorious.

Not that it's that big of a deal. My destination for that Sydney trip was sleeping on the floor in a hut in Vanuatu. I've put up with more uncomfortable things than being shoehorned into an airplane, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe about it.

NorthernHarrier

The snow tally from a day ago officially was 8" and we're supposed to get another 8" tonight and it just started.  If nothing else, it is pretty.

Sunny and 32F today and I was able to run 10.5 road miles then followed that up with a 3.5 mile snowshoe joggy thing finishing up via headlamp. A good day in the north.

Warden--You're a beast, my man!

QOTD--I so seldom fly that my only hope is being able to walk away from the landing. Several weeks ago when we landed in SLC I told the pilot it was a great landing and was gonna follow it up with a joke but he seemed so happy with the compliment that I let it go.  Don't know-maybe they only get people complaining.

Sandy-2

Did 10 in the muggy warm crap this morning, about 72 deg, I was sweating my ass off. Saw a baby copperhead.

qotd: like wcrunner2, long flights isle and short flights window. And Bert-o, I also pick the side of the plane based on the sun, I like the shady side. I'm Platinum on United but that only gets you a chance for upgrades on domestic flights, but I hardly ever fly domestic.

tbd.

runtraildc

An easy 3.5 miles on Saturday, skipped my 10 mile race this morning (no entry fee so I don't feel as bad). It was forecast for a cold rain and it came true. Sitting here with my coffee looking at the dreary weather outside reaffirms my early am decision. I'll get out for something later since I'm playing the end of month catch up to meet the mileage goal.

qotd: Window, like Queen says. I used to have 'gold' for a while too, and routinely was bumped to first class. The funniest time was when I was with my two kids and they moved me, but kept them in coach! I sent the older (then about 7 yo) to first class and stayed behind with the little one.  The flight attendant gave me a funny look, but I didn't know until I was boarding that they changed my seat. Anyways, he was a good kid. Didn't get drunk and start making inapropriate comments, demands or try pinching asses.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Didn't get drunk and start making inapropriate comments, demands or try pinching asses.

that's exactly why they don't want me in first class 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Did a trail race yesterday at Mt Umunhum, near San Jose, CA.  About an hour south of where I live.  Almost 11 miles uphill on the way out and almost 11 miles of downhill on the way back.  Although not post-holing in the snow, I felt like slogging up those hills built some character.  And might have generated a few cuss words.  

Here's the mountain:

QOTD: I'm usually back with the commoners with no status, but when I fly with my DH, he can score bulkhead seats, which are nice because no one reclines their seat into your lap while flying and there's legroom and easy exit if you need to use the bathroom.  No underseat storage for bags, though, but that's not usually a big deal.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Wet run today on the Appalachian Trail Creek. Shoes were wet up to the top 1/4 mile into the run and never got close to having a chance to dry.  Saw water in spots that I've never seen before. Several inches of rain the past 3 days plus the snow melt.  Still fun even with cold feet, but felt more like a power hike than a run. Probably 7-8, but not sure since we did some cutting to avoid really deep water.

Yesterday, got out between downpours for a long run.  Rain when I was finishing, but luckily it was rain-free for most of the run.

QOTD:  Window for me as well, on long flights.  When we fly to Oregon (2 x's per year), I'll usually pay for the extra leg room on United or use our bonus miles to get the extra leg room. On shorter flights, I don't care too much where I sit as long as I'm not book-ended by 2 sumo wrestlers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

GC100k - I'm short and feel squeezed in coach.  I can't imagine what you have to go through!

GatsbyBird - That photo looks like heaven right now.  Aside from those buried up to their mustaches in snow, we're getting a monsoon out here in the northeast.  But 11 up and 11 down is no joke.  Great job!

Cold, raining, windy this morning, so I took some inspiration from Warden to get out and try this character-building stuff and go for 21.  Pretty much said f**k character by mile 15.  But I have no shortcuts on my LR's so I had to suck it up anyway.  Saved some olives for the mile 20 walk break.  Wish I had brought a nip of gin to go with the olives, but I'm sure that would have been gone a good many miles back.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

Ran 4 muggy and rainy miles after work on Friday. I ran 3 easy ones yesterday. And I am about to squeeze in 2 miles between storms in a few moments to keep my 5 days a week running schedule going. But I will only get 17 miles for the week, pretty lame. I am just taking it easy; my mind is on other things right now: Turkey season is just around the corner, and I am planning our out of state, public land hunt in early April.

QOTD: I prefer a window seat, but I'll sit wherever.

LB2