Trailer Trash

the 1000 mile weekender (Read 21 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

hit a milestone today- 1000 miles on the trails (running/snowshoeing/skiing/hiking/backpacking); took the pup out for 3.5 miles at daybreak and then headed out a couple of hours later (minus pup) for a 10 mile run- was able to beat the heat; we're looking at two straight weeks (possibly longer???) of mid to upper 90 temps; my headlamp will be getting a workout

qotd: goals (running related or not) for the year?  I'd like to hit 2000 miles for the year, even though I'm right on pace, most likely won't hit it, but it's my goal nonetheless 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Biked 20 miles today. Man is my ass sore.  Brought back old memories of when I was a racer.  Wore a brace on knee and felt OK biking.  If it's sore later, I'll have to stay away from biking too, since I have no rides near me that are flat and standing on pedals for big climbs puts pressure on the knee.

Warden - man some wicked heat.  We're in heat wave right now, but that's not unusual for us.

Burke - Nice story about one of your fellow Louisiana man's trip to see the WWII Memorial.  2 times I've been in the airport waiting on a flight out when Honor Flight Veterans landed into DC.  Standing ovations from waiting passengers, and really made me tear up.

QOTD:  To run over 200k in a race and be injury free. 1 out of 2 so far, damn. No real distance goals set.  In the fall, might run a 50 miler if I heal up, or do a 60 mile AT run with a friend.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Had a good 6.5 mile run last evening after work even though it was extremely humid. Came back from that slightly more wet then if I had been in the shower.  At one point I glanced over my shoulder and had about 5-6 deer fly types sitting on my shirt. Never felt them biting me though.  Had to walk a short distance because of the humidity. The ankle that I rolled on Thursday protested some but it got over it.

Today will be a rest day with the exception of walking around the parking lot.

QOTD: Running goal was to hit 1200 miles and do 50 at the Montour 12 hour. The 1200 will happen but I doubt the 50 mile run will.  Also set a goal of 2000 biking miles which I really don't think will happen, although it might now that DW has a e-bike she really wants to ride more.

Also wanted to do some trail maintenance but that will not happen.

Sandy-2

As predicted it was brutal this morning.  I did a slow 15 mi, but it was a struggle. Stomach wonky, dehydrated, dead legs and hot.  Just trying to keep moving and finding the right balance between hydration and stomach bla.  Did feel good getting it done.

No word from the CT riders.

qotd: just trying to keep my back feeling good, steady mileage and get the finish at the Traveler this fall.

tbd.

NHLA

NHLA

NorthernHarrier

Well I am in Utah at DD's place and they just left for 2 weeks back in Wi. One of the reasons I'm cutting this trip short by a day or two to meet up with them at my cabin in northern Wi. Was to be a rest day here with big plans over the next 5 days but I keep looking out the window at those hills to the east with a little scattered snow up top so I'll be heading out to do about a 7 mile out and back to a small mountain lake in the Wasatch. Been here enough now to start to learn a few good spots.  Next time I'm here my SIL wants to summit a few of the nearby peaks like Timpanogas, Olympus, etc. Good adventure.

Had some great adventure runs or fast paced hikes depending on conditions as they were in the areas of Rocky Mountain park and Indian Peaks.  Always a cool run when you go by moose or elk.

QOTD--Hope to keep my running fitness at this point thru fall then I'll drop the mileage as this is my year of the adventure and epic stuff. Hopefully no overuse use injuries or based on my last few runs no falls off precarious spots on or off trail that might result in a helicopter rescue or recovery.     I have said it before but the end of my running career is fast approaching. This used to be so easy but now... Read in a magazine article the other day-"aging is not for sissies".

NHLA

7 miles at DuPont Forest.  1st pic glassy falls.  2nd pic lake dense.

Qotd   run more Asheville grand prix races. Ran four so far this year. 5k Tuesday if I can get in gear.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was close but I finished Powderface. It wasn't the vertical gain or altitude that gave me the most problems, it was heat and an unrelenting sun. I left it all on the course today...at about mile 9.7. I thought I might have to DNF again, but after resting in the shade and getting some fluids back in me I was able to continue about 30 minutes after I checked in. I got some public accolades from the RD about my determination to finish.

Qotd: minimally and finally run 100K in a 24 hour race, and hopefully extend that to 65+ for the age 70 PA resident record.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Wow, well done WC.  Heat is a killer for me.  Nice job regrouping and getting back out there to finish.

NHLA, nice pics.  That stream looks so inviting.  If I came upon it on a run, I'd just want to sit down next to it for a while.

14.8 miles today, taking it east for the rest of the week then 55k on Saturday, marathon on Sunday.

QOTD: I'm at 993 miles for the year so will hit 1000 miles shortly.  But I don't have a mileage goal for the year and doubt I'll hit 2000, I never have.  I usually slow down in the fall.     I would like to do a 50 this year.  Couldn't finish Lake Sonoma but now I'm looking at another one in August in WA.  Not sure if I'll pull the trigger but will decide soon.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

George- way to go! 

NH- trip report and pics dude!!!

NHLA- those falls look super inviting

Gatsby- if you run the Beaverhead and Missoula Marathon back to back- you will definitely be my new hero 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Very happy for you, George. Got that DNF monkey off your back. Good confidence boost.

I've been keeping an eye on World 24hr Championships. They had trouble with timing system and it wasn't giving updates for the runners. How terrible for them not to have accurate updates.  3 hours after the race, and no final results yet.  Looks like my good friend Laurie Dymond might have gotten 3rd female in 50+ AG.  That's awesome.  She was an alternate for the team, but her total right now is 5th best for US.  US women were neck and neck with a slight lead over Polish women at 23 hours. Me's team was 5th at 23rd hour.

Going for a flat walk and then doing some plumbing in guest shower.  DS is coming home July 4th ( moving back East) so needs a working shower. I've put this job off too long now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Sultry weekender is more like it here.  Managed to eke out 4 miles last night on the C&O canal while DH was fishing. Both of us were lacking motivation to get off the couch and leave the AC, but in the end, we were both happy to get out.  This morning, more sultry weather and got in 5 miles with a blind runner as her guide. This was a first for me, and I managed to not get either of us hurt. Very humbling, to be honest. I struggled today with a short run, and she's training for a marathon.

qotd: I don't know really.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got 4.5 miles in at daybreak this morning w/ Tiny E- it's about 1200' gain to the top- he did really good (looking at little serious in the picture- I guess mtn climbing is serious business); ate breakfast and hung out for awhile and then got a speedy (for me! ) 5.5 miles in; have since retreated to a cool house.  I'm beginning to hate summer- just go from spring to fall and I'd be happy.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

Congratulations George, that's awesome!

Great pics NHLA!

Runtraildc,  every time I see a blind runner I am Inspired by them!

AT, That is  terrible  that they cannot get  the results for the 24 hour championship!

I got in 5.6 on Friday after work, was a delightful 90° with a 72 dewpoint.

5.2 trail miles yesterday, was 76° with a 74 dewpoint  and 5 deer fly bites  despite all the bug spray I put on.

QOTD  my main goal for the year is to get and stay healthy, I am on ( hopefully) the tail end of some peroneal tendinitis.  I haven't run much in the last few months but I would still like to finish the year with at least 1200 miles.