Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 14 times)

LB2

Today I will take my floating SRD. Yesterday's run was probably pushed a little harder than it should have been considering I did a double on Tuesday. Temps were in the 90's with a heat index of about 103, although there was some cloud cover and it had rained. The rain just made the mugginess more intense. Really ran that run yesterday way too fast, especially the last mile. It was sort of stupid to do that on what should have been an easy day. But, it didn't kill me or injure me, so maybe it will go down as a key workout further into this training cycle.

QOTD: How many pairs of shoes do you have in rotation right now? And what are they?

I have 4. I am running a pair of Altra Lone Peak 2.5's, a pair of Topo's (not sure of the model, very minimal), a pair of Hoka Cliftons, and a Mizuno Wave Rider (maybe the 13's or 14's, can't remember).

QOTD 2: Do you ever look back on your running and identify, in retrospect, key workouts that either gave you confidence or that you think may have broken you through some plateau?

Yes. I usually look back at runs and can say, "I think I really got something more out of this run or that run than the normal run." Usually, those are long runs of 25+ miles. I can think of several leading up to different events. But sometimes there are a series of runs (or key workouts) where I felt like I built a great deal of fitness. I had a hilly route I ran often in 2012 leading up to a race. I ran a bunch of three hour tempo runs during the summer where I could really push it for 3 to 3.5 hours. They were hard but fun. I built a lot of fitness and speed from those. I had a lot of volume going into that race. I totally screwed the race up, but looking back, I feel like I was probably in about the best shape I had ever been in and possibly ever will be in.

LB2

Gator eye

Hi all, ten fairly fast this morning. To hot and humid for Mr Jangles so I took a advantage of the solo run and pushed the pace.

QOTD:  I think I have 4 going right now. A pair of Hoka challengers that's hitting 500 miles, a pair of challengers with alittle over 200  a pair of Asic nimbus with 400 and a pair of Merrel All out peak with around 20 miles.

I found the Hoka's worked fairly well for my feet and they were half price on clearance so I got two pair. The Nimbus has always been my favorite road shoe. And the Merrels I won at a race, I haven't used them enough to form a opinion.

QOTD2: Just the opposite, I can usually go back in time and pick out where I pushed to hard or ran when I should of taken the day off. I have a pretty solid history of leaving my race on a training day.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

up at 4:30 this morning and at the trailhead at 5:00, temp a very comfortable 50 degrees (vs our predicted high of 85 today)- nice run (5-ish) with no one out; evidently several sightings of a lion as there are signs up at all the trailheads

qotd 1: now four- today was a first run with a new shoe- Hoka Mafate 4- felt pretty good right out of the box- a more roomy toe box than my Stinson ATR's, also run with Pear Izumi N2's and Altra Olympus

I have been slowly gravitating towards the Hoka for comfort, but longer runs w/ the ATR's my toes would start to get cramped, hopefully the Mafates cure that

qotd 2: hill repeats, while brutally unfun, seem to be paying dividends for me; I really think my "adventure" long hike/runs help in longer races with stamina

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Skipped the humidity and ran on treadmill in the air conditioned room.  Did 800 repeats, and watched some TV. Not a fan of the treadmill, but I have a lot of work to do outside now, so was trying to minimize my heat/humidity exposure.

QOTD 1:  Five. 2 Inov8 Trail Roc 255's (technical trails), 1 Altra Lone Peak 2.5 (easier trails) and 2 Altra Olympus' (road, treadmill)

QOTD 2:  Usually get a confidence boost from a long run where everything feels good and fluid and nutrition work out well. After that, the hill run I did the other day is a test I use to see how I'm doing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

A slow 5 miles last night on the trails of Monocacy Hill. Just myself without the Lady. She had been sick a few times yesterday and I decided she did not need to go out and run in the heat. Based on how I felt during the run, perhaps I should have stayed home with her. Perhaps a rest day today. The lawn needs mowing, the pool needs to be jumped in, and some beer needs drinking.

QOTD1: 2 pairs of Altra Lone Peaks (trail), Inov-8 Roclite 295 or some such model (trail), Altra Torin (road). THe road shoes aren't getting much use these days.

QOTD2: I don't do many runs these days that I would call workouts. Back in my marathon/earlier running days tempo runs or fast finish long runs were my confidence boosters. Leading up to Mohican this year my multi-loop long runs around the reservoir were big confidence boosters as I even split one of them, and the other while a positive split the second loop was in the heat of the day and the size of positive split was pretty low so it felt like I managed the heat and the distance well.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

QOTD2: I don't do many runs these days that I would call workouts. 

I hated that word "workout", but I couldn't think of another one. But I know what you mean. I feel like I have progressed beyond the concept of a "workout" because running is just a part of what I do.

LB2

muppy

6.2 miles around town early this morning to beat the heat.

QOTD 1  I have two pair of Brooks Ghost, one from last year and the other pair from two years ago. 2 pair of Brooks Glycerin, one from last year and other from 2 years ago.  I have wide feet so my selection in shoes is quite limited.

QOTD2  Usually a tempo run that will give me confidence or a long run where I'm in that happy running bubble the whole time and it feels so easy.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4.62 this morning....again awake at 5:15 and allowing myself to lay for 15 minutes only to hear the 6:20 alarm go off!  Tomorrow tomorrow I hope to get up early tomorrow!  Couple of good temps thrown in when the dogs were onto a scent.  Heard something in the woods but when I stop it stopped.  We were on one trail and the dogs were excited nose to the ground so they totally missed the deer 10 feet in front of us standing on the trail.  Knuckle heads!

QOTD:  Probably about 30, sandals, flip flops, high heels, ballet flats, loafers, boots, Vans, etc...wait oh we are talking running right?!?  One.  I only wear one shoe until it's worn out and than buy a new pair.  I just purchased Saucony Peregrines and like them.  The upper is very comfortable.  Before that Mizuno Wave Kazan which I liked but the toe needed to be wider.  Before that New Balance Leadville which I really liked but both this shoe and the Mizuno upper fell apart fast.

QOTD2: No, there might have been but I never really think about it.

Gator eye:  poor Mr Jangles

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Trying to gather the energy to get out in the heat for my 5.1 mile loop. After the run I'll do a little weight lifting.

LB2 - It's always nice to get hit by a rain shower while running in that heat, until it stops and and sun comes out turning it into a sauna.

Gator - Does Mr Jangles sit and cry when you leave?  My last dog did. I'd put him in his pen and could hear him crying for a 1/2 mile.

Warden - Let us know how the Mafate 4 hold up for you. I've had the original Mafate and the 3s. I like running in them but the Pa trails chew them up like a shark chewing on a baby seal.

AT - Wimping out and going with the treadmill, eh ? DS was trying to get me to buy one last night. Told him I wasn't interested in spending the money right now. Besides he was looking at a cheap one.

Xtreme - Mowing the lawn?  Isn't that what the Missus is for ?  My neighbors probably think I'm a mean husband. If DW and I mow the lawn together she always uses the push mower while I use the riding .  She actually wants it that way because she uses that for her daily exercise instead of walking.  However when I suggested getting  a real nice push mower and pushing the whole thing she darn near smacked me .

Muppy - I thought about running this morning when I got home from work but was too tired. Now I gotta brave the heat.

Queen - Do you ever wonder what smells the pups are picking up on?

QOTD:  Seven.

Hoka Conquest, 722.1 miles: Currently my go to shoe. A little too firm for my liking but OK for road and trail

NB 870, 537.1 miles: Gym Shoe and for short road runs only. Hard on knees and feet.

Hoka Mafate 3, 282.0 miles: Easy trails only. Have glued soles back on twice.

NB 1210, 257.0 miles: My minimalistic trail shoe. Overall a good shoe but I keep them for anything under 15 miles.

Altra Olympus, 373.9 miles: First and last pair of Zero drop. Poor quality and seem to inflame my tendonitis. I'll wear them out on short road runs.

Asic Gel Scouts, 191.6 miles:  Decent padding, fit very well, excellent lugs for muddy conditions.  Like better than 1210s.

Hoka Speedgoats,  53.7 miles: Worn twice, both times for races. Did well for me and should use them more just don't really need them at this point.

QOTD 2:  Walking lunges. Those bastards hurt if done right but really helped me on a hilly race. Had a bad knee and couldn't descend for shit but could climb like a Mt goat.  Last year I was doing a lot of hill repeats. Two 1.1 mile repeats with 2200 feet of gain, followed by 2 1.5 mile climbs with 2000 feet of gain.  I climbed really well at Call of the Wilds which has a lot of climbs that are worse than those I used for training.

XtremeTaper

I hated that word "workout", but I couldn't think of another one. But I know what you mean. I feel like I have progressed beyond the concept of a "workout" because running is just a part of what I do.

Yeah, I still use the term too but in the day "workout" always meant intervals, tempo, progression or some planned fast running.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

Oh yes, big bad Mr Jangles turns into a soup sandwich when I shut the door in his face. He whines, cry's, and howls as he watches me leave the driveway. Then I get the cold shoulder and he ignore me for awhile when I get home, major guilt trip. Lol

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

DD how is the toebox on the Speedgoats?  I read one review that said it was rather tight and to order a full size up for that reason. It's the reason I went with the Mafates vs the Goats, one of the more roomy toeboxes from Hoka (definitely roomier than the Stinson ATR's)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

DD how is the toebox on the Speedgoats?  I read one review that said it was rather tight and to order a full size up for that reason. It's the reason I went with the Mafates vs the Goats, one of the more roomy toeboxes from Hoka (definitely roomier than the Stinson ATR's)

I had some ATR's once too. I loved everything about them except the toe box. It killed my big toe. Do the Mafate's run true to size? I can't find a place around here that sells them, so I would have to order online. I would hate to get the wrong size. I hate returning stuff.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I would say true to size, if you tend to fall in between sizes, go up a 1/2

check around online, but the best price I found was from backcountry.com, but it's worth to check elsewhere as prices seem to fluctuate greatly from week to week

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Late arrival to the party today.  Got in some nice elliptical time  and some weight training.

Gator-- feel bad for Mr Jangles.  I had an old brittany that hated being left behind and I was too much of a softie to do it, even when the weather wasn't the best for her.  By her elder years, a short trip around the block and back home did the trick.

qotd: 3? Maybe 4.  the 3 definites are my cascadias (9's-- which I like, but not as good as the 7's), some discontinued Asics trail 2170s, and Brooks Launch which replaced the semi-retired Ghosts.

qotd: NA, I think.