Trailer Trash

Toasty Tuesday (Read 21 times)

LB2

I am back running again. I really nailed my first day workout yesterday. It was a scheduled rest day. I hammered out zero miles.

QOTD: Do you take any extended time off from running just to sort of regroup and recover?

Yes. I always take about 4 to 6 weeks off during the spring turkey season. During that time, I cover a great deal of ground walking, but I often do not run a step unless I limit out before the season ends. Either way, it works out for the best. This year, I hunted as much as I could and walked a great deal. I also crawled and duck walked to move around on turkeys a lot more than I normally would. You'd be surprised at the ab workout you get from low crawling with a shotgun. Anyway, I ended up killing one monster of a turkey about a week ago, and I called up several for others who couldn't seem to get it done. It was fun, and I am glad I didn't end up with nothing at the end.

LB2

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I ran 9 miles last night out at French Creek. We ran our "Sunday loop" on Monday evening just to be rebels. Actually a slight variation of the loop to make it longer. Weird running in the evening as the 2 miles you are down in the Mill Creek hollow it feels the sun has already set, then you climb out and the sun is still up in the western horizon. Today.. plan is planet of fitness at lunch for strength session, and 7 or 8 miles this evening.

QOTD: No, not really. I will cutback some after my June race, but I never really take long stretches of no running unless I am injured. I am a runner... it's what I do.

AT - Nice golfing last week. I used to shoot in the mid 70's on a regular basis but now low 80's is good for me and dang it those courses just get longer and longer it seems.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Had high hopes of getting up on the mountain for a long run today. That's not going to happen so it will probably be just 8 miles on the roads around the house and maybe some lifting later this evening.

LB2 - I've spent some time crawling around trying to stalk deer. You're right, it is a good workout.  Some of the best hunts have been the ones where I came back in tired, sore and muddy, but with no deer.

QOTD: I can't take an extended time off or I have to start over from the bottom on my fitness. Even a week off will really set me back.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

4+ last night to shake the leg pain/stiffness out.  Worked pretty good.  I think after a run tonight, I will be back to "normal"

QOTD: I definitely decrease mileage but if I don't run for extended periods, it is because of injury.  LB2 - all that walking is the difference for you.  I think that is very important for your body not to go into hibernation mode.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NHLA

8 miles today.

qotd  I only take a break when hurt or recovering from a long race.

LB2 crawling around is hard on a grown man but you can get a turkey that way sometimes.

Gator eye

4 miles in soul sucking mud when I had enough of that we headed for the paved road and did another 6. I hate running in sticky mud it felt like my shoes weighed 5 pounds apiece. When we got home I got a nice ass chewing for bring Mr Jangles in the house who quickly shook and cover the kitchen in mud.

QOTD: not usually, in the past injuries have given me plenty of rest.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The dogs and I ran a bit under 6 last night.  It's been awhile.  Time off doesn't phase Earl, but Jack was dragging a bit.  I did ok.    Today is Gym at lunch and than run again after work.

QOTD:  I just did but not really on purpose...I went to So Cal where we had visiting relatives, much partying and needing to be places made running hard to fit in.  Then I got a cold so I just kind said F'ck it.  This happens to me at least 2 to 3 times a year where I let life take over or get in the way.  Never last more than 10 days.

Gator eye:  sorry about your ass.   but than ya kinda deserved it. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Toasty it is here in DC, but a cold front will change things tonight.  Before then, I'll get in 3 or 4 easy miles during swim practice.  Hopefully on the trail to see the last of the bluebells.  The mountain laurels along this ravine should be starting to bloom too.

qotd:  Not intentionally, but I'm coming off 3 months of taking it easier.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Hope to get 5-ish miles in this evening; nice and cool here- like it's supposed to be in April!

qotd: no extended time off, my running miles go down in the winter, my snowshoe and ski miles up

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Went to Longwood Gardens with DW to see the Tulips.  Walked 6.5 miles while we were there and stopped in York on the way home to run 6 on the rail trail. Still having some left foot pain and think it's an avulsion fracture.  Any fast running really hurts, but I can plod along or walk without pain.

AT - Nice golfing last week. I used to shoot in the mid 70's on a regular basis but now low 80's is good for me and dang it those courses just get longer and longer it seems.

Thanks. I was a 2 handicap in college, but not much time for as much golf as I used to play, so the USGA has me at a 7.8 now. I've been playing since I was 4, and caddied for a few years in HS for drinking spending money. I hit my 6 iron the same distance as I used to hit my 8 iron, so I know what you mean about "courses getting longer".

QOTD:  No real breaks.  I cut back, but don't stop. I only missed 2 weeks when I had my knee scoped a few years back, and that was my longest break since the 90's.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

3.1 miles interrupted by t-storms moving in quickly.

QOTD: I don't deliberately schedule or take any down time, but I've gone into training funks when my running is sporadic.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Ultra Cowboy

Did a pub run with a different LRS group.  5.8 miles point to point with a bus back to the start.

Food report: Wedge salad with seared Ahi tuna

Beer Report: 2 Smithwick Irish ales on nitro.

QOTD: Do you take any extended time off from running just to sort of regroup and recover?

I did in 2015 and it cost me. Ran a personal worst after a 6 month layoff.

This year I almost fell in the same trap. Managed to do one run per week to train for a 20K trail race finish in December, then got serious and started running during the week.  Lost 20 pounds over 3 months, and had a decent for me race (3rd fastest out of 7 past races)

WYBMADIITY

Save

Sandy-2

I am alive, I think...  freaking cold knocked me out.  I didn't run Sun - Wed and then yesterday I did about 4 miles up on the single track.  Mostly hawking gunk outta my lungs.  I plan to do 5 after work today, we'll see.

It's a race against time, getting rid of the final gunk with this cold vs. my 30k on Sunday.

LB2, I guess you are working on those major uphills right?  Stair climber at the gym? By the way, as a flatlander living at sea level, I find that speed intervals also helps me prepare for when I'm gonna go up to higher altitudes.

qotd: Not really unless I'm injured, I do some major cutbacks, but I do try to throw a few maintenance runs in there.

tbd.