Trailer Trash

Anticipation Thursdaily (Read 22 times)

moonlightrunner

Anticipation...because many of you have great things to look forward to this weekend. Queen, I will be thinking of you, especially. I want to be like you!

I am packed and heading out for a weekend of camping and running. First for two nights at Hartwick Pines State Park. There is a stand of virgin timber and lots of trails. Then onto Wilderness State Park in the upper peninsula.

QOTD: do you enjoy solitary adventures? Because I have been single for so long and I have a shortage of friends who like being outside beyond Their back yards, I have learned to prefer being by myself. No negotiation necessary...

I hope that you all have a great weekend. I will look for race updates when I have cell service.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

A loop that I thought would be lethargic this morning turned into one of the most exhilarating runs I have had in a long time, maybe the best of the year but at least top 3. It wasn't particularly long; it wasn't particularly fast; it was particularly good. I just felt the perfect level of tired at the end of it to make me feel energized. That doesn't make sense on the surface, but I know everyone knows what I am talking about.

QOTD: Yes. I enjoy alone time. I am normally surrounded by people on a daily basis at work, so when I get a chance to be alone, I take it. That doesn't mean I don't want to run with others or hunt with others, but I get a great sense of satisfaction from forming a plan and executing it by myself. It negates the need for compromise, and I can reflect on what went right and what went wrong without factoring in how someone else's action or inaction may have played a role. I could go on for days about this with examples from work, life, hunting, running races, etc. However, I won't bore you with the details.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Sing it Carly!!  Good luck Queenie and all our other racers too!

I got my slog on last night with a wondering 4 miles or so with the Lady out at Coventry Woods. Decent evening, we had sun no rain, but warmer than I expected. I kept it easy for the Lady at first, and then all of a sudden I was slogging about. Weird stinky smells out there last night. Smelled like a lot of dead critters. Blech.

Plan to do a road run today as I am time pressed and want to get a few miles in.

QOTD: I prefer to have company on my adventures. My buddy and I try to get in a trip somewhere every year. I find I'm a little more adventurous that way. That said I've done plenty of solo trips, running and racing, and that has it's advantages too.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I hate that we have to suffer through the weekend without knowing how Sue is doing!  Next time, young lady, you're required to do a race with tracking.

I will go for a walk after work today.

QOTD: Normally, yes.  Right now, I am struggling.  I would much rather choose to go on a solitary adventure than being forced to.  I liken it to riding my bike.  I enjoy riding my bike when I choose to ride my bike.  I don't enjoy my bike rides as much when I can't run and I am forced onto the bike in order to get exercise.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Short road run this morning and then going for a 7 miles hike later today with DD#1's boyfriend who is in town for a few days to see his dad.  He wanted to hike to some vistas on the AT.

Moon - good luck, enjoy the trip.

George and Sue, we're pulling for you and just keep moving forward.

George - keep your HR at a nice level.

Sue - you are ready, and you've got this.

QOTD:  I like solo runs because it gives me time to clear my head and de-stress.  Only had 1 solo backpacking trip and that was really nice, but for those I like to hike with someone (but each at our own paces) and camp together at night. Makes meal time more enjoyable and we can talk about what we saw or just BS around the fire.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

moonlight - Enjoy your trip!  Hope the weather is good up there.

LB2 - Glad you had a good run.  You deserve that one after a dreadful summer to deal with.

XT - Yeah, my run last night was a bit of a slog as well.  I thought it would be cooler and dryer, but not quite there yet.

Mandy - What's the prognosis on the hip?  It's been an injury you've been dealing with for quite some time.

Sue - Good luck!!!

WC - Good luck at the NC 24!!!

I hope not to work too late tonight and get a few miles in.  Temps should get below 70, so I'll definitely look forward to that.

QOTD:  Quite a lot of my adventures have been solo.  Like others have said, you go your own pace and do your own thing whenever and where ever.  When I was into rock climbing, my two climbing buddies moved out of state.  So while I was seeking a new climbing partner, I started to do multi-pitch roped solo climbs.  That got a bit tricky and quite cumbersome.  Then I did the climbs free solo.  That was just plain dumb.  Not that I'm much smarter now, but I hung up the climbing gear (for now).  And I'm much closer to the ground falling while trail running.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

LB2 - Glad you had a good run.  You deserve that one after a dreadful summer to deal with.

Thanks. According to the weather man, we are supposed to get a great reward next weekend. However, if I was as inaccurate in my work as the weather man, I would have been fired a long time ago. Once it cools off, I hope to start increasing some of those long runs to regular 10 milers.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - What's the prognosis on the hip?  It's been an injury you've been dealing with for quite some time.

Oh, that's right.  You're still new around here.    I had a torn labrum in my hip joint.  Genetic defect.  My misshaped bones tore the cartilage. Went from running ultras to not being able to run at all.  Had surgery back in 2014.  It gets achy sometimes still.  I am limited in my running now, but it's better than it was.

Thank you for not dying while free soloing!  Since you're in NYC, I imagine you'll be able to see the Alex Honnold film that's coming out shortly?  I'm really hoping it comes here.  I already missed seeing the Dawn Wall.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

5 miles this morning along the paved trail. Was planning a track workout, but the middle school had gym class outdoors. I also just found out that the parks have reopened the natural surface trails, so that's good news for tomorrow.

Good luck Queen and WC!

qotd: Hmm, prefer with others but with solo downtime built in.

Sandy-2

Planning on 5 after work today.

Queen and wc - good luck on the runs this weekend. Just keep moving. (wc, leave the heart rate monitor at home.)  We’ll all be pulling for you.

qotd: yes, i’ve done a lot of fat ass runs while overseas and weekend jaunts. Fun to plan and execute. FYI, I’m doing the Bear next weekend w/o crew or pacer, it’s nice ‘cause I only have to think about my schedule and what I’m doing. But I do enjoy running with folks and having a crew (especially my kids), so it’s good to have variety.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Queen and wc - good luck on the runs this weekend. Just keep moving. (wc, leave the heart rate monitor at home.)  We’ll all be pulling for you.

Thanks all for the well wishes.

I don't use a HR monitor, so leaving it at home is easy. My biggest concern is heat and sun. If the forecast holds, it should be in the mid to high 60s, which is fine. Cloud cover is questionable. I've been working the last two months on how best to manage heat and sun and I think I have a good handle on it this year, at least better than last year.

I'll second Mandy. Choose races where we can track your progress. Sue? Here's the the link for live tracking at NC 24.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

TURD day 2.  Yay! Boo! Whatever, I am over this running thing although the run that LB2 got in sounds about right.

WC - what's your goal for NC24? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

Queen -  O....M....G...it's realer than real! I am nervous for you! By the way, since we have a friendly competition, I wanted to clarify the fine print.  It was not who toed the line of a 100 first, it was who completed a 100 first.  So when you it the 70+ mile mark and feel like quitting, picture my face over your shoulder laughing.  

QOTD: I like being alone.  Not sure if I would prefer being single with no kids as I currently have a great wife and mostly great kids.  But I do love my solo runs - especially the longer more adventurous ones.  I would love to backpack but just cannot get myself to that point just yet.  Maybe when the kids are older and I can do some of that.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a really nice 5-ish mile run with Tiny Elvis yesterday afternoon- temps in the lower 50’s- perfect!

probably hit the gym this evening; I’m working today for a change 

qotd: I would say 90+% of runs, hikes, adventures, hunts are solo, so when there is an opportunity to include like minded folks it’s always welcome Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC - what's your goal for NC24? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

I'm still looking for that elusive 100K, but I don't really expect that this year given my training through July. It'a only in the last six weeks that I've begun to get in some decent mileage. My primary goals are to manage whatever heat and humidity I encounter so I don't have long breaks and to stay on my feet moving for the full 24 hours less any planned breaks. I'm tentatively thinking of scheduled breaks of 5-10 minutes every 3-4 hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Good luck Sue ! I hope you have a great race .