Trailer Trash

treadmill Tuesdaily (Read 17 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I saw we had a treadmill Thursday; having one here on Tuesday (and likely several more days)

was going to hit the gym yesterday, got home and had about an hour of shoveling snow; did some lunges at home and called it good

will likely hit the gym and treadmill tonight

qotd: how do you normally run on a treadmill?  I have to break it up in a lot of slow steep stuff (steep enough I’m walking), and then some steep where I can run (slowly), then flatten it out and run fast- I set little goals- time or distance before I switch to the next and keep going until I hit either a distance or time- usually time; I don’t like running on a treadmill

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran this morning more around town... so it’s actually quite funish.  The streets/sidewalks here require full attention...stairs holes bridges people dogs... garbage and just going with whatever where ever.   Lot’s of climbs today and very techibcal footwork.I little bit if an adventure for 6 today.

Qotd:  I usually change the speed and inclibe one nitch each tehth of a mile.  When I hit the peak of either I try to maintian for a mile... the peak nit being 10 but 5 inclibe and 6 or 8 speed... it’s been a while.  After the peak I head back diwn one at a time.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dhuffman63

Trails

Had the MRI yesterday still waiting on results. Sometimes back feels good, sometimes not, it's very frustrating.  Going up to the gym at lunch to get a couple miles in, then some more tonight.

qotd:  I almost never run on the TM.  What I will do is increase the speed for a min, then decrease for a min...I also do ladders on the incline, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5% then back down, 5,4,3,2,1.

moonlightrunner

I had an awesome run last night.  3 downpours, mud, ice, in the dark and by myself. It was so fun I only turned around after 2 or so miles because my water resistant jacket surrendered and I only had a tank top under it. I had so much fun.

QOTD: I do not have a treadmill and would never ever use one. I do have a little trampoline set up on my deck I will run on and do some upper body weight work outs on. I just cannot stand to exercise inside.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Ran a 2.5 mile loop this morning in unbelievably dense fog. I could see better with my light off.

QOTD: No. However, back a few years ago, I ran a race with a lot of elevation gain. So, I used a treadmill twice a week for about 3 or 4 months. It helped a lot. If I have another one like that, I would join a gym for 6 months that has a treadmill with as much incline as I could find, hopefully 15%.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Still very warm here. Might be close to 60 degrees. Itching to go for a run but alas loaded up with conference calls until 3-4pm, but that should give me plenty of time for some trail miles with the Lady. I expect it to be quite mucky out there due to snow melt.

QOTD: I normally don't run on the treadmill and had a decade or more streak going of no treadmill runs. That said I've used a few times this year and last, mostly just to do something different at the gym and get some turnover work. My routine is to mix up the pace every 1/4 mile. Last time I went 6.8, 7.0, 7.2, 7.4 for first mile, dropped to 7.0 to start second mile, again bumped up .2 every 1/4 mile. Definitely helped to make the time pass.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

2 years since we lost John M.  Still miss that guy.

11 miles on the trails. 50* at the start, but still some snow hanging around on North facing slopes.  It was a fun muddy mess. At one point I felt like a little kid splashing in the puddles and actually looking for them instead of avoiding them.  Got up to just over 60* by the time I was done.

Impromptu shoe washing station. Not usually any flowing water here. Was about 8" deep and cold!

QOTD:  If I have something  interesting to watch on TV, I can just set it and go.  If I get bored, I'll do intervals, and my favorite is 800's.  I'll run the 800 and then drop speed for 1/4 mile and then repeat.  I don't push the incline too much since I can get hills on almost all of my runs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I'll run after work today. Probably do 5. It'll be 77 deg so it'll feel like 85 I guess.  That'll suck.

qotd: I avoid running on TM as much as possible.  But if I do hit the TM at the gym I'll run fairly quickly for a while at 1 or 2% and then take a walking break with it set at the highest incline, 15%.  Then repeat until it gets to 5 miles, or I go crazy, whichever happens first.  For some reason I do ok on the escalator stair-climbing machine, but there's also a wall of TVs each showing a different station that I look at (I don't listen to the stations since I have music).

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

The one TM at the gym also has declines.  When I get a new one I'll get one that does both.  I played with it today.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

2 years since we lost John M.  Still miss that guy.

Me too.    I think about him often.  I only recently read a book that he had mailed to me many years ago.  It's about a woman who got divorced and then built herself a cabin in the Adirondacks.  It almost felt like a message from him in some weird way.  It got me through some shitty nights.  I wish I could thank him.

QOTD: Man, I am so over being an anti-treadmill snob.  (It's cool if you still are...I was one for over 10 years.)  Now that I have access to one, it's super nice.  I play around with all sorts of speeds and inclines and walking.  My time just flies on the treadmill.  Maybe it's still a novelty to me, I don't know.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

4 miles today. Walking and jogging with DW.  So non noteworthy that I wasn't even going to post but the QOTD piqued  my interest.

QOTD:  Do you have problems with the mental aspect of running late in longer races when you get beaten down.  Don't know or struggle with how to put your brain into remote mode?  If so start running on a Treadmill.  They are really good for that.  Time on the TM is a great time to practice your mind-body disconnects.

I don't really have a normal way, other then trying to beat it up as hard as I can.  That is what I find is so good about the TM. You plan how hard and how long you want to run then make sure the machine doesn't beat you.  I may decide to do a 1/4 mile sprint at 7 minute mile. If I'm on the track or road my body can just slowly start to slow down with no consequences. On the TM it's keep up or fall off.  Set the machine to a uncomfortable level and make your body keep up. It's surprising how much harder you can work then you thought you could.

One of the things that I like to do is warm up, then ramp up the speed to as fast as I can run. Then every minute reduce the speed one tenth of a MPH.  Really helps with endurance.  The other thing I like to do is go to 15% then decrease by 1/2% every minute, tenth of a mile or maybe a 1/4 mile. Just play games like that to keep up the interest. Of course if I'm training for a long race then I'll try to run for >1 hour at a pace just below tempo and not really change my speed much. This forces me to learn how to combat the boredom and helps me in longer races.