Trailer Trash

Winter again? Thursdaily (Read 35 times)

runtraildc

morning trailers.  Woke up to 2" of snow covered in frozen sleet.  In southern NH.  Got in 5 miles yesterday on the backside of my sister's mountain with her new dog.  He needs some training, but there's hope.

Qotd:  I've got nothing.  Have a great day!

Not really winter here (back in MD), but still not all that much in the way of leaves, just a little budding and very little at that.  I figure the snow is most likely done for the year here.  It was 40 something for our trail run.

I have missed a few days with all the driving, packing, and disposing of stuff we don't want to move.  Marley really lost her patience with me and was ready to drag me out for a run if necessary.  She was really insistant!

Anyway we got in a nice 4 miles of Maryland trail.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran with the group last night almost 6 me and the new guy missed the turn and basically ran almost 3 miles all up hill while carrying on a conversation until I couldn't talk anymore.  Since all I hear was my heavy breathing I asked the kid (28)  if he was breathing hard and he said that's why he quite talking.  We eventual turned around when we hit the Hwy and ran back down.  Got back when the group did but did 1.4 miles than them.   I was impressed that my mpm was 9:37 with that hill.  Of course now I'm a little tired and sore from pavement.  Taking day off.

QOTD:  What do you hate about where you live?

We have higher expenses living here...gas is 10 cent more than 30 miles down the road.  Groceries higher...housing high.  A dump is still a$1,000 a month.  And it's California..high taxes....

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

QOTD: Since we are still in both houses for a while yet I will answer for both.

Maryland - high taxes, high cost of living, poor public services

Tallahassee - heat and humidity

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Either a rest day today, or something light and eeasy with DD. My legs are sore from yesterday's "mountain speedwork". 

But luckily no snow here, and I have a feeling it should be done for the season (knock on wood).

QOTD: High prices here, too, especially for the middle of PA. However, that's the premium we pay for the excellent school district, so I really don't mind. 15 miles down the road everything is cheaper, but the average SAT scores of their school district are somewhere around 60 to80% of our school district's, depending in which direction you go " down the road". For me (for my children), this is a world of a difference, I want to keep opportunities open for them in terms of education and future jobs, so I am willing to pay for it.

What I don't like are people living here and constantly complaining about the high prices while at the same time taking advantage of the benefits that come with the package, yet denying that the choice of school district makes any difference. Second is that recently, over the past two years, the trails have been taken over by the mountain biking association, and the lots of bikers at the main trailhead are turning it into a fashion catwalk.

But otherwise, I'm pretty happy here.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Rainy and gloomy here today.  And I got more of a whole lotta nothing going on.  I did take Bella for a nice hike last night and my foot is improving, but there's still something that feels off.  So I will continue to rest.  Being smart is no fun!

QOTD: Long, cold, dark winters and Scott Walker.

Running is dumb.

Watoni

It was about 40 this morning when I took the lab (the property's, not mine) for a walk on the trails.

Weighing getting very expensive orthotics or trying some off the shelf insoles recommended by my PT.

Also, thinking about some coaching but will keep it mum until that is set up.

Hoping for a nice easy ride into the hills (tempo) at lunch or this pm.

QOTD: Cost of living, drought, somewhat insular nature of society here

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head up on the Mountain, Hoping to get in about 10-12 but the way I'm feeling it might be less. Definitely gotta hit the hills.

QOTD: At the state level some of the highest gas taxes in the Country, but some of the worst roads. A lot of political corruption.

Locally I hate that I have no good trails to run. The trails I'll run today are 7 miles away, short, and straight up and down the mountain. Decent for training but not nice for fun runs. Too much dirt road running in between the trails. Next closest trails are 22-37 miles away.

Few good jobs close to home. We have limited industry and other businesses so we have to drive to Harrisburg area (35-45 miles) for better paying jobs.  Some of my co-workers live south of Harrisburg and have many more professional opportunities.

Real Estate prices are somewhat low here. Good if you're buying, bad if you want to sell and relocate. I have 10 acres and I I were to try to sell it and move to the middle of Montana with the same acreage and same size house, based on some of the research I did, it would be significantly more expensive out there.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did not run last night as planned.  My legs are not doing great.  Actually I think it's my back - causing havoc in my hips and legs.  I may try and run tonight anyways just to shake it all out.

Watoni - I did the custom orthotics about 3 years ago.  They are expensive.  I ditched them after a while because I think they may have caused other problems.  I have since gone to a good OTC orthotic. I wished I had made the decision to do that before spending hundreds on a custom orthotic.  Just my 2 cents....

QOTD: I could complain about some simple mistakes that were made by the previous owners of the house we bought and moved into last year - things like light switches wired backwards, flooring not put in right, poor choice in fixtures, not sealing things up right, butchering the HVAC, etc etc.  But I will not (ok I did). I am grateful for our new home.  So ....hmmmm.  Our taxes are good and we moved into a very good school district.  I don't like the feral cat colony in our neighborhood but it's tolerable.  Our neighbors aren't are friendly as our old neighborhood - maybe in due time.  I am having a hard time coming up with anything significant.

Oh well.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Jame..this is my husband's complaint too.  Ever simple job turns into a nightmare because of the work previously done and there is no way he can leave it as is.

QOTD: I could complain about some simple mistakes that were made by the previous owners of the house we bought and moved into last year - things like light switches wired backwards, flooring not put in right, poor choice in fixtures, not sealing things up right, butchering the HVAC, etc etc.  But I will not (ok I did). I am grateful for our new home.  So ....hmmmm.  Our taxes are good and we moved into a very good school district.  I don't like the feral cat colony in our

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Jame..this is my husband's complaint too.  Ever simple job turns into a nightmare because of the work previously done and there is no way he can leave it as is.

Isn't that a guy trait, "Hey, honey, I can fix that!" ... 

Nothing more dangerous to marital bliss than that one sentence.

Run for fun.

DigDug2

Easy 6.5 at lunch.

QOTD:  Cost of living, definitely.  But I knew that when I moved here (Fairfield County, CT), so I can't really complain.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Isn't that a guy trait, "Hey, honey, I can fix that!" ... 

Nothing more dangerous to marital bliss than that one sentence.

LOL.  Hmmmm, maybe I should be a little more grateful for this single and renting thing...

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Yes enjoy it.  If I lived in an apartment I would have soooo much free time.  Oh what would I do with all that time...     (I'm not going to talk about being single  trying to stay positive on that side of my life.

LOL.  Hmmmm, maybe I should be a little more grateful for this single and renting thing...

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yes enjoy it.  If I lived in an apartment I would have soooo much free time.  Oh what would I do with all that time...     (I'm not going to talk about being single  trying to stay positive on that side of my life.

Well, worse case scenario, you can come be single and rent with me!  We can drink beer and run trails with all that free time. 

Running is dumb.