Trailer Trash

What happened to running skirts? (Read 38 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I was just getting ready to head out, when I found that all my shorts are in the wash - so I pulled out a running skirt.

However, just before putting it on, I realized that I have not seen anyone wearing a running skirt in years (my own skirts are 4 or 5 years old).

Now I don't really care what I'm wearing, or what people might think (if anyone gets to see me at all, not that I'm faster than lightning as fast as XT, but because I run in the deep woods), but I was just wondering if anyone is still wearing skirts, or if that fashion fad has disappeared from this world for now.

Ideas?

Guys are welcome to chime in, too, please!

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You're right, they have sort of disappeared.  I don't wear skirts in my real life and they always seemed weird to me, but I still bought one a long time ago because people raved about them.  I didn't care for it and probably wound up donating it to Goodwill.  This was during a time when I was unhappy with my short choices and was floundering around trying to find my perfect bottoms.

Now I've found my holy grail of shorts and I have no desire to look elsewhere.  And definitely no more skirts!

Running is dumb.

FWIW, I still wear running skirts.  Including ones that are a few years old.    You see them a lot at races here in NorCal.  I like the pockets on the shorts underneath, can put anything in there.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

OK, it seems to be out of fashion here in PA.

But this won't keep me from wearing them today, as there's no other choice now.

Chose my outfit all girly, with the skirt, red shirt, pink hair tie, pink cap, and all.

Oh, the gnats are going to love it!!!

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Couch, I'm never in fashion!  Haha.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I have a running “kilt” (made by Mountain Hardwear, the Elkommando )- it’s been in my closet for a year and a half, still working up the nerve to wear it 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

warden, I just looked it up, and I think it looks really good. You should wear it!

I think the discussion about men wearing skirts or dresses is interesting. Reminds me of the discussion that must have been going on when women were starting to wear pants as everyday clothes. That was not appreciated at all at the time, too, and at first, they were ridiculed and made fun of, or showered with aggressive comments or actions. Only the war, and the after-war cleanup, with the necessity of women working in "men's" jobs, brought a change of mind.

Skirts and dresses can be very comfortable, cooler than pants in the summer, and warmer in winter. Even though I don't often wear them, I still like them every now and then. And I don't see a reason why that comfort should not be available to men as a choice. Designed and made for men, they would probably look good, too, and it's just a matter of getting used to the look.

I'm curious if this will ever become a real option in everyday wear.

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

yeaaa  a girls thread!!!   oh crap couch invited the guys. 

I had two skirts and still wear the one occasionally and the other never (should give it to my friend).  I didn't like how the skirt keeping hitting the front of my thighs.  When I wear them to the gym I feel weird if I am doing an exercise  that allows people to look under my skirt at the shorts below.    Our running store was carrying some with the cutest material I was so tempted to buy one but knew I didn't really like them.    One girl in our group wears them when it's not tight season.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I live in a bit of a hippy community and seeing a man wear a skirt isn't a rarity.  I've seen a few guys wearing the kilts at races...they looked to flowy/flappy to me.  It would drive me crazy!!  Just running next to him drove me crazy cause I keep wondering if he had underwear on!!

I have a running “kilt” (made by Mountain Hardwear, the Elkommando )- it’s been in my closet for a year and a half, still working up the nerve to wear it 

runtraildc

Running skirts have gone out of style? I still see lots here.  I was really skeptical at first (ok, I actively mocked them) but now I have a couple and I love them. I am not fond of shorts so a skirt is a good hot weather option for me.

And I've seen men in their running kilts. Seems like a gimmick (sorry MT). I agree with Queen that they seem uncomfortable, too. Now, last fall I ran a race and it involved costumes (for those that wanted to win a year of dogfish beer). One of the top contestants ran in a speedo. Now that was fine by me.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I like you.

). One of the top contestants ran in a speedo. Now that was fine by me.

AT-runner

Tim

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

I live in a bit of a hippy community and seeing a man wear a skirt isn't a rarity.  I've seen a few guys wearing the kilts at races...they looked to flowy/flappy to me.  It would drive me crazy!!  Just running next to him drove me crazy cause I keep wondering if he had underwear on!!

Yes, unless he wants to chafe all over, he had underwear on. Sorry to ruin you fantasy, Sue. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

it’s called the El Kammando for a reason! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Apparently it is still ok to wear one, even though the hype is over?

I like them, which I never expected. I always thought that extra fabric flapping against my thighs would drive me crazy, but I really don’t feel it when I’m wearing the skirt. Maybe the material and the length make a difference here. I think the skirts look good (but so do some shorts, and I don’t really care about looks), and for me it’s just another option.

For mens skirts, I think a mesh short underneath, like many women’s skirts have, in the right cut, would make them comfortable. It’s like with women’s bras, the amount of support needed and the desired “airiness”  are a very individual decision. 

Run for fun.