Trailer Trash

Wet Fridaily (Read 19 times)

adkkev

QOTD:  So many, so little time. Today I'll go with another trip to Alaska, this time to include a trip of the inside passage.  I'm trying to help one of the guys at work plan a trip up there so it's fresh on my mind. I'd love to drive to one of the southern ports that the Alaska State ferry comes into, jump on that and go north getting on and off whenever we want to. Once in the north I'd like to drive the road back into Denali park so this would have to be a September trip.

My wife & I are hoping to do this adventure in a couple years ... drive across Canada to Port Rupert and then just hop about the Inside Passage on the ferry.  We went on an Inside Passage cruise a few years ago (talked into this by my sister) so we did get to visit a couple places we hadn't been to before, like Juneau & Ketchikan.  I'd already been to Skagway (hiked the Chilkoot) but my wife hadn't.

Re; driving the road into Denali - hope you realize that you need to win a spot in the road lottery in order to get the opportunity to drive past milepost 16.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran a little over 4 with the dogs this morning.  When we first hit the woods Earl was hot on a smell...and really refused to move forward.  I was like I guess we are staying here.  Then he started barking to let everyone know about this great smell.  I love hearing all the other dogs respond to him.  There is one dog out there that gave a low long response.  So my first 1/3 of a mile took me 14 minutes. 

QOTD:  I want to go to Alaska.  I have seen Northern lights and remember one really good night but I would love to see them again.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Although I do run on the nature trails near my house, I don't come anywhere near the miles you folks log on a daily basis.

But I absolutely love visiting this forum to read the QOTD & replies.  Thanks for sharing!!!

Kevin, I hardly run at all right now.  You are always welcome here! 

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Re; driving the road into Denali - hope you realize that you need to win a spot in the road lottery in order to get the opportunity to drive past milepost 16.

Yea, that's why it would have to be a September trip. I haven't looked into it for a few years so I don't know how difficult it is to get a slot.  I'd like to be able to take two days to do it but not sure if that's allowed or not.

AT-runner

Tim

Although I do run on the nature trails near my house, I don't come anywhere near the miles you folks log on a daily basis.

But I absolutely love visiting this forum to read the QOTD & replies.  Thanks for sharing!!!

Stop in more often.  Heck, we let Mandy stop by and she barely runs. 

EDIT : I posted this and then saw Mandy's response. Looks like we're on the same page.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Forgive me for I ran the roads this morning. 6.2 at a pace pushing effort. I have to work on losing this old man shuffle I've got going on. Takes a little effort to get out of the comfort zone these days. Heading to Utah tomorrow early for 10 days. DW has never been to Escalante so a little time there, Zion for a couple more days, and then visit our daughter in the SLC metro area. Have a 20 mile epic run planned within Zion taking in the Wildcat Canyon trail then connecting with the West Rim trail and taking that down to the Grotto. A top down run.  I will bypass the turn to Angels landing this time as I am not sure how stable I'll be for that after all those miles. A 45 yr old hiker fell off that trail last month. Remember-- DNF--Do Nothing Fatal.  Zion is beautiful but I'm not sure if I have enough happy pills to deal with the hordes of tourons once you leave the backcountry.

QOTD--Have little desire to leave North America and have been to most spots of my interest.(though I never get tired of revisiting or exploring further) I suppose there are a couple canoe expeditions heading to the Arctic I wouldn't mind doing. Maybe a front row seat for McNeils river to watch the big bears or view firsthand the massive Caribou migrations. Yeah, that would work.  Have not spent much time in either Oregon or British Columbia and now that I'm thinking I would love to go back to Nova Scotia and also some more time in the 4 corners exploring the ancient dwellings would be fun.

adkkev

Yea, that's why it would have to be a September trip. I haven't looked into it for a few years so I don't know how difficult it is to get a slot.  I'd like to be able to take two days to do it but not sure if that's allowed or not.

My son has lived in Alaska for 19 years and has applied every year.  Got it once.

I did some volunteer work in Denali a few years ago (back country observer during moose hunting season) & it was two weeks after the road lottery ... weather was awesome, temps in the high 60s, low 70s.  On our last day it turned chilly & sour with snow in the hills.  If things got dicey weather-wise I don't think I'd want to be driving over Polychrome Pass.  It's scary enough in good weather riding on the shuttle bus!!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It was suppose to be our weekend.    funny I am running Whiskeytown Waterfall 30K tomorrow...so still getting a waterfall run in.  Don't think it will be as pretty though as Royal Gorge.

I'm going to Portland to see the kids next week for a few days and will miss it.  

Have fun. Sorry I'll miss you, but I'll be running at the Columbia River Gorge.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Stop in more often.  Heck, we let Mandy stop by and she barely runs. 

EDIT : I posted this and then saw Mandy's response. Looks like we're on the same page.

Hehe.  I'm up to a whopping 13 miles so far this year!  

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have a great time...I can't wait to go back there and spend more time exploring...

Heading to Utah tomorrow early for 10 days. DW has never been to Escalante so a little time there, Zion for a couple more days, and then visit our daughter in the SLC metro area. Have a 20 mile epic run planned within Zion taking in the Wildcat Canyon trail then connecting with the West Rim trail and taking that down to the Grotto. A top down run.  I will bypass the turn to Angels landing this time as I am not sure how stable I'll be for that after all those miles. A 45 yr old hiker fell off that trail last month. Remember-- DNF--Do Nothing Fatal.  Zion is beautiful but I'm not sure if I have enough happy pills to deal with the hordes of tourons once you leave the backcountry.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I need to do some weed eating on the trail anyway.

4/20 was yesterday, LB

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Lots of driving today for a fairly short meeting.  Oh well, such is life.

XT: Enjoy Iron Master's - you should do well there.

adkkev - some of us barely run trail anymore... so it's ok to post as much as you want.

QOTD: I like AT's idea of New Zealand and Jon's idea of Utah.  Anything different than the terrain of PA would suffice.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

My son has lived in Alaska for 19 years and has applied every year.  Got it once.

I did some volunteer work in Denali a few years ago (back country observer during moose hunting season) & it was two weeks after the road lottery ... weather was awesome, temps in the high 60s, low 70s.  On our last day it turned chilly & sour with snow in the hills.  If things got dicey weather-wise I don't think I'd want to be driving over Polychrome Pass.  It's scary enough in good weather riding on the shuttle bus!!

19 years of applications with one success. Wow. Maybe I'll just have to fall back on the old standby. I thought about scheduling DW on a later bus and I start out really early on the bike and ride most or all of it, then jump on the bus with her and get a ride out.

One of my retirement plans was to work summers in some of the national parks. Denali is at the top of the list.  Was the weather clear enough that you got to see the mountain when you were there?

Daydreamer1

4/20 was yesterday, LB

I worked yesterday and even had a patient that overdosed on weed. Even with all the remarks about it "being the right day" and other things I didn't get it until the end of the shift .

adkkev

19 years of applications with one success. Wow. Maybe I'll just have to fall back on the old standby. I thought about scheduling DW on a later bus and I start out really early on the bike and ride most or all of it, then jump on the bus with her and get a ride out.

One of my retirement plans was to work summers in some of the national parks. Denali is at the top of the list.  Was the weather clear enough that you got to see the mountain when you were there?

I have only seen Denali once from inside the park ... I have seen it many times from far away, even as far away as Fairbanks (where my son lives).

I am hoping that I might get to work in one of the parks as a seasonal ranger after I retire (which is coming up quickly).  My daughter-in-law is the lead ranger for the NPS at the Alaska Public Lands Information Center (APLIC) in Fairbanks so I'm hoping I'll get an inside track on something!

While I did find Denali pretty spectacular it really wasn't my favorite place in Alaska.  Seward and Homer run pretty high on my list - we loved Homer and spent nearly a week there several years ago.  15 visits to Alaska & I have barely scratched the surface.

Too many places to visit and explore!