Trailer Trash

Fabulous Fridailies (Read 21 times)

Daydreamer1

Must be such a fabulously nice day that everyone is out running and not having time to start the dailies!!  It's really nice here in central PA. I almost wish the plan was for a nice run up on the mountain. Alas, I'm starting into taper mode so today is a 25-35 mile bike ride at a easy to moderate pace.  Last nights run kind of sucked, just no energy in the legs and they were very stiff. For awhile I was doing the old man shuffle .

QOTD:  Took me awhile to come up with one.  Do you do anything to support wildlife?

For the past two weeks I've been working on replacing a shed roof. Since it's only 400 sq foot I should have been done long ago. However, my Blue Birds are nesting in a house on the shed and are now feeding their young. I've spent the last 10-12 years trying to protect them from other birds. Most spring times I turn into a mad assassin, eliminating the black birds and other nasty species that try to drive them away. Overall I've been pretty successful with establishing several nesting pairs along with some other songbirds being around more.  Right now I'll work at the shed in 30 minute increments, then take a hour break so they can feed their young.  Considering the number of blackbirds and sparrows that I've eliminated maybe I only support certain wildlife.

When I'm out running I'll stay away from any nesting grounds and try not to do anything that will bother wildlife and their young.  Of course in the fall I'll head out to thin the deer herd a little .

LB2

30 tonight.

QOTD: Yes; I do my best to keep turkeys from overpopulating.

LB2

muppy

5.1 Road miles last night.

QOTD  I feed the birds in the winter, but that's about it .

Daydreamer1

30 tonight.

QOTD: Yes; I do my best to keep turkeys from overpopulating.

When I was writing that I was wondering about you. Didn't know if you were part of the NWTF or any other groups like that. I have a number of co-workers who are big waterfowl hunters and get involved with some of the conservation organizations.

LB2

When I was writing that I was wondering about you. Didn't know if you were part of the NWTF or any other groups like that. I have a number of co-workers who are big waterfowl hunters and get involved with some of the conservation organizations.

Yes. I was going to add NWTF but my phone rang and I got side tracked. I also participate in the annual turkey survey each summer where I count hens with poults, gobblers, etc. We also try to take care of our own properties to make better habitat for turkeys and all wildlife.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I wish I was out running.

But no, just work. Done, but now chores, errands, then kids - just told DD that she can't hang out with her friends later in the afternoon, so that I can go for a run. Yes, Mom is being selfish every now and then.   Or just call it a timeout to stay sane!

DD1: One week taper? Sounds good for the marathon distance and considering the difficulty of the course. 1 week it is, right?

LB2: I was curious about your comment. LOL.

Muppy: Nice, now with the cooler temps, a night run sure is pleasant.

QOTD: I used to feed groundhogs and rabbits. And I feed the birds in winter.

On second thought, on my runs I also avoid stepping on snakes by all means. Does that count extra? 

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4.5 miles in 58 minutes...having two dogs on a leash uses up more stop and sniff time and less running.  May need to get out there earlier so I can at least get 5 or 6.

QOTD:  Sure I don't gun them down!! 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Nice weather here today, so may do an UsRD (Unscheduled Running Day) and go out after work.

QOTD:  DW's garden feeds a lot of rabbits and a few birds, otherwise, no.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

8 miles last night. It was really nice.

QOTD   Can't feed the birds because of the bears.

some call me Tim

Easy 7 on the home trails today, and some more trail plotting as well. I REEEALLY want that one mile loop now that I'm close. I took the kids out this evening and we opened up about 100 yards of what I plotted with surveyor's tape today. I want them to feel a sense of ownership, and they're old enough now.

qotd: My view is just cultivating the land in a way that's in harmony with the wildlife is a kind of support. I try to improve the land, pulling deadwood and invasive species and improving drainage, and leave the critters alone when possible. I thought I read once that you could get a little scratch from the DEC for that kind of work, but I never got around to looking it up. There's snappers, coons, a green heron and a family of wood ducks down at the pond (I confess to having run off the canada geese that littered my yard with feces every spring) and plenty of deer that eat from our apple trees and I pretty much leave alone. It'd be a different story if I felt like I had the stomach to field dress them, but I guess if I'm too squeamish for that I ought to leave it to someone else.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6.5 miles in the sunshine with DS on his bike. He is my best pacer - the miles were eerily speedy. 

QOTD - addendum: I avoid stepping on the small salamanders on the trails and roads, often save them by carrying them across, and I carry turtles off the road into the woods where they have a somewhat safer life. Hey, I think I could almost change my name to Francis.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Another pair of b2b 20's on tap for me this weekend.  Did the first 20 miler this morning (Sat.).  It was bruatally warm and humid (FTYC, the 80 rule in effect now). Both temp and humidity were 80 at 5am, and not a breath of a breeze.  Then later full sun w/o a cloud in the sky, temps spiked.  Anyway I muddled through (how could I not considering what my DD is up to?).

qotd:  Nothing planned, but I do try not to run anything down with the car and of I do see something that need help I try to do so.  It must run in the family, here's the DD charity she is supporting on her Mongolian quest.

http://www.gofundme.com/zc8dgs

tbd.