Trailer Trash

Tooth Tusdaily (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

No run yet as I just got back form a routine dental visit.  Need to do some things around the house and then DW and I are driving to Longwood Gardens to see the Christmas displays and light. Might skip the run and just walk a lot at Longwood.

My dentist always tries to make me feel guilty for not fixing a lower tooth that has a very small chip. Had it fixed once and it fell off, so not going to do it again.  You'd think I was starving kittens the way she always tries to make me feel bad for not having it worked on. I told her politely to stop asking.

QOTD:  Had a discussion about vanity and it fits with my dental visit, so since I know most of you aren't vain, who is the person in your life (including you) that is the most narcissistic?  For me it's DD#2.  She has more clothes than 3 people need and when we go anywhere we always have to wait for her to finish her hair/ eyes/ makeup / etc.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Ran 5 this morning.  Sorry to all you arctic blast folks, but is was in the upper sixties and foggy as hell, I guess a billion percent humidity (my glasses kept fogging up.  I was soaked when I was done.  I bumped into some of my running buds this morning and they were also whining about the weather.  Also they were totally psyched about DD's 50 miler, they knew about it because a guy in the running group also did his first 50 (50 miles on his 50th birthday), I was helping him out most of the day too. He finished about an hour ahead of my DD. Still proud.

qotd: Luckily I really don't have people like that around me. (Well I guess I have one or two folks at work like that, but I tend to tune them out.)

tbd.

runtraildc

Morning trailers! Yesterday was essentially a rest day, with some yoga and a very short jog on the treadmill.  Heading out this afternoon to run with a friend. Sun is coming out so it will be doubly nice. Probably 4 miles.

qotd: I have a vain SiL who has an extensive wardrobe and material objects, and I've only seen her without makeup a handful of times in 20 years of knowing her. However, she is not narcisstic, but a very loving, giving and not self involved person. The narcissists in my life are a former boss, and my brother's ex wife.  I'm quick to ID the differences in these traits especially as narcissists tend to appear overly confident, but are usually highly insecure (thus the manipulation). I don't have time to mess with that.

This sums up the difference for me: vanity is obsession with one’s appearance and high value placed on the way one looks. It can be annoying, but is rarely toxic to others. Narcissism, on the other hand, is about being malignantly self-centered and an obsessed with controlling others to help bolster the image the narcissist has created for himself.

Looking forward to Jamie's input

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yesterday or this morning.  Maybe later tonight.  I do enjoy night running when everyone has their christmas lights up.

I agree with you dc - there is a difference between vain and narcissistic.  That chic that claimed she beat the speed record on the AT a few months ago - she is narcissistic.  It is truly a mental health disorder.  She was manipulative and deceitful x10.  Vain is not usually that to that degree.  And yes it can be annoying but not toxic.

Vanity is usually learned whereas narcissism is more of a character defect/flaw.  Yes it can be learned too but is usually much more embedded into who the person is.  There is a mental health diagnosis called narcissistic personality disorder.  The whole set of personality disorders is extremely difficult to work with as they do not respond to medication and have difficulty in traditional therapy situations.  But I could go on and on...

QOTD: Having said all that, I don't think I know too many vain people.  DW is quite the opposite of vain.  She is humble and confident.  She is not a "shopper" which has helped over the years since we did not have much money.  Again, I could go on and on gushing about her...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

maybe after work? Going to gym at lunch..yesterday he showed me how to use machines so need to workout today.

QOTD:  I have a chipped front tooth that has been filled until about a year ago.  The fill fell out and since my dentist has tried twice but no success so debating weather I should get a veneer or not.  My Mom might pay for it because she hated my chipped tooth!    anyway to answer the question...  Based on runtraildc description I'll say my friend Yvonne which would probably surprise her.  She is a bit obsessed with her looks; worries that she sweats too much, about being skinny, must blow dry her hair straight, always has make up even when running.    I spend a lot of time waiting for her to get ready and she is always late.  Narcissist:  Definitely the old man...he can't do anything wrong.  Poor guy is surrounded by a world of idiots. 

AT:  Is that you PA daughter or OR?

Sue with chip...Mother who disapproves even though she has had a gap her whole life she loved.   To veneer or to to veneer.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Just got home from work. The daylight medic needed to be in court this morning for a no work related issue so she asked me to cover for her which resulted in getting out at 10:45. The nice thing is that I don't have to go back in until 10:45 tonight but now I'm tired and need to sleep. I was kind of stupid and should have suggested covering her entire day shift. That way I could have had the entire day tomorrow off.

After I get up I may go for a run in the moonlight. Probably just do 5 miles. I was planning on going on the trainer but just realized that tonight is a full moon. Hopefully it's clear.

AT -  Your dentist needs a new BMW, Mercedes, pool, vacation home or something like that. Help her out and get that tooth fixed .

Sandy - Gotta love the humidity.  You don't have to carry as much fluid, just drink the air .

QOTD:  Narcissistic fits my older brother to a T. It's all about him and only him. Can't say he's really in my life as I honestly can't remember the last time we spoke.

As far as the vanity part goes, that probably would be none other then me.  Yup, I can be rather vain in a way. As the Dr Hook song goes, "I'm a pretty ugly guy".  I'm well aware that I'm not the nicest looking dude in the room. Therefore I like to dress nicely and keep myself looking as sharp as possible, especially when working.  I will try to pick clothing colors that make me look better. When my hair changed with age I changed my hair style. Now it's at the point that I just cut it short so I don't get that ungroomed old man look.  I'm chipping my lower teeth and may need braces to reline teeth, I'll probably get them so I never need dentures. I'm starting to get some bumps on my face and am going to make an appointment with a dermatologist this winter to see what can be done about them.  I hate when my patients focus on a blemish(s) on my face. I've already had surgery to remove one growth years ago.

AT-runner

Tim

AT:  Is that you PA daughter or OR?

PA daughter.  DD#1 was always a Tom Boy and rarely wears make up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

The plan was to run a few road miles at lunch but crap work got in the way or perhaps I just let it? Anyway, the late afternoon looks open so I will try to get a few miles in then, perhaps something on the trails instead.

QOTD: You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you?!  I can't think of anyone really.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

No run today. Freaky weather has me sidelined for the day.

QOTD: Wow. It would be hard to determine who is the most vain. Lots of folks I know fit that bill to varying degrees.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ya I figured that  just wanted to confirm.  City girl versus nature girl.

PA daughter.  DD#1 was always a Tom Boy and rarely wears make up.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

We had our picture for our work ID redone yesterday so folks were tidying up how they look...I was singing that song to them. 

QOTD: You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you?!  I can't think of anyone really.