Trailer Trash

Thermal Thursday (Read 16 times)

LB2

I ran 4.2 yesterday evening. I should get 4 to 6 after work today, too.

QOTD: How do you do with heat with running? And what are some things you do to deal with the heat?

Heat, specifically direct sunlight, is something that really gets to me. I will wear a straw hat and use an ice bandanna to get through those issues. Someone said on here several months ago that it is more effective to cool your core temperature with water on the outside than on the inside. I tend to agree with that assessment. I can run just fine in heat with an ice bandanna and increased hydration, but keeping my skin temperature down with ice seems to be more important that drinking something cold. I had to figure a lot of this out with trial and error, mostly error. There are not many things worse in running than spending months training for an event and then blowing it on race day because you did some really dumb stuff. It is devastating.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5-ish this morning; very nice early in the morning (mid 50's)- not so much after, calling for mid 90's 

qotd: very poorly!   I'm terrible about avoiding it at all costs, much rather would get up at 4:00 AM than to run in the heat of the day, however that's a poor strategy if you have to actually run in the heat as I found out at last Elkhorn 50k where I had to drop- not only did I have little to none heat training, I went out to fast considering the conditions

in the mountains I'll put snow in my ball cap and let it melt; I'll also soak up to my waist in lakes for several minutes- I have a Lawrence of Arabia deal that hangs off the back of my cap that helps w/ sun; light colored shirts help too

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

The temp is a cool 67 degrees right now and the humidity is still low enough that it doesn't feel to bad outside. I should be heading out for a run, instead it's off to bed for a long summer's nap.  Planning on one of my short road courses after I get up. Probably 5.1 easy miles in the afternoon sun.

QOTD:  Drink lots to get sweating. Slather on the sunblock which seems to really help. If I'll be spending a lot of time in the direct sun then I wear a white shirt.  When running close to home take a extra bottle of water to dump over my head.  When running in the mountain where there are creeks I'll carry a quart ziplock bag and use that to get creek water to dump over my head.  Slow down and take more walk breaks.

I have to be kind of careful with dumping the creek water over my head and down my back. The sudden hit of the coolness even if started at a trickle can be quite a shock. There are some people who seem to be able to jump right into a big pool of creek water. If I jumped into water that was 60-65 degrees when I was overheated I'm not sure if it might not kill me.

Gator eye

Rest day due to lack of motivation and a general all around case of laziness. What can I say?

QOTD: I wear a straw hat, put ice in it and usually just melt and turn into a hot gooey mess.  I'm a morning runner who lives in Michigan, anything above 60 degrees I consider heat training. This training method works well if your goal is to puke and drop out of any race that gets above 75.

XtremeTaper

Still on a running hiatus. I was going to jog and walk a few miles last night but some work crap got in the way. Maybe I will just wait until the weekend to let this bursitis swelling go down.

QOTD: Try to stay in the shade for the most part. Slow down and stay hydrated. Nothing too special. I seem to adapt quickly to the heat, well, maybe just better than others. In 2015 I went down to FL for a 12 hour race with no hot weather running beforehand. Race day temp high was 90 degrees and I still managed to hit my goal. I might not have done as well if the race had a lot of sun exposure though.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

6 miles latter today.

qotd   The trick is to get used to the heat in the spring. Once summer hits its too late. I run in the heat of the day till it gets over 85 then start running in the morning. I shorten my 8 mile runs to six miles when it gets 90+. I run my long runs near the river so I can jump in if needed.

AT-runner

Tim

I was pleasantly surprised by the lower humidity this morning so added onto my run to get in 10 miles on the AT and some surrounding trails. Did not see a single person on the AT which might be the first time ever for a July run.  Saw several turkeys and chipmunks and a few deer, but no humans.

LB and Gator - Straw hats? Do they have sweat bands or are they all straw?

QOTD:  Not too many sunny sections on the trails around me.  I try to get out early. Put ice in my pack for cold water and I have a buff that I dunk at creek crossings. I've sat in the water before to cool off.  I never did a RR for my last 24hr, but that day was still the hottest we've had all summer. No shade and high humidity.  I used a bandanna with ice cubed and by cooling around the carotid arteries, it seem to help me.  Also had ice under my car.  Pace was ridiculously slower than last years due to the heat, and that's where people get in trouble.

Saw this pace guide, and it pretty accurate for me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

AT- straw hats shades your whole head, neck, and most of your shoulders. They're light and give good air flow for the top of your head and for the most part they don't hold smells. Also real good for keeping the black flies at bay

AT-runner

Tim

AT- straw hats shades your whole head, neck, and most of your shoulders. They're light and give good air flow for the top of your head and for the most part they don't hold smells. Also real good for keeping the black flies at bay

No I was wondering what brand you use. I sweat a lot and didn't know if there was any sweat ban around the rim.  If it's just straw contacting my forehead , that might bother me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Mine was all straw, no sweat band. I usually wear a bandanna under the hat. I need to get a new one. As Gator said, they do shade the head, neck, and most of the shoulders. In fact, that hat was a huge factor in the only ultra race I have ever won. It was just brutally hot with lots of sun exposure. I got some strange looks at the start. But I was the only person who finished the race. Everyone else dropped to the 50K. I attribute that successful day to the straw hat.

LB2

LB2

Saw this pace guide, and it pretty accurate for me.

This is quite useful. And I would say it is very accurate for me, too.

LB2

muppy

7.8 miles yesterday on the horseshoe Trail.

QOTD  I hate the heat with a passion, I work outside seven days a week. But on the bright side I'm starting to get acclimated to it quite well. I just try to stay hydrated and suck it up the best I can. If it's too bad I will get up at four in the morning and go run but then I don't get enough sleep.

runtraildc

Afternoon, folks.  Just returned from a rowing workout (brief) and yoga (not so brief, and hard!).  I couldn't do everything in yoga, but now the foot is feeling better.  Have to think that I've lost some foot strength, so the stretching and strength work seems to have helped.  I'll also start working the feet on the stability ball again.

qotd: stay away from the muggy mornings and stay in the shade.  When I worked out doors, ice on the wrist and neck helped a lot, but I've never tried to do that while running.

I've seen versions of the temp chart before, but I always seem to forget how much heat slows you down. Nice reminder!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

5 this morning in very nice temps.  Now to taper for my 5k on Saturday 

Seriously though I have two races on Saturday.  A 5k with DS1 and a 12 hour.  Not sure why I am torturing myself with these.

QOTD: I hate the heat and wilt very quickly.  It is the reason I chose the night version of the 12 hour on Sat instead of the day version (that and I promised my DS that we would run this 5k).  The direct sun for some reason really gets me.  It doesn't even have to be that hot.  I generally run early mornings or late at night to avoid.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

...and yes Queen I acknowledge that your team beat ours.  Sadly but it is true! 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday