Trailer Trash

Vocanic Mondaily (Read 22 times)

Sandy-2

So after my lost weekend spent in the plane, my Croatian friend and I did a run of sorts up Halla-san.  Mt Halla is on Jeju Island and is S. Korea's highest peak.  It's 6,400 ft.  We went up the Gwaneumsa trail (starts at 2,000 ft) on the north side for about 5.5 miles, up to the top and then went down the Seongpanak trail (finishes at 2,500 ft) on the east side for about 6 miles.  Weather was perfect about 55 deg at the start and finish, and about 35 deg at the top.  It was a bit chilly at the top due to the wind.

Here are a whole bunch of photos to look at with your coffee.

qotd: I can't think of anything.

On the way up.

On the way up, looking back down from where we came. 

Near the top, there is a cutoff time so people don't go up to the peak too late in the day. (We were there much earlier.)

The crater at the top.

Proof I made it to the crater.

Marinko and I at the top, photo looking towards the south coastline.

Going down, but still near the top.

Yup, it's a volcano.

Going down. By the way, a lot of the trail has boardwalks and stairs due to so much traffic, but there also is a lot of big round and/or sharp rocks to keep you entertained.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

Wow! Thanks for the pics! What a beautiful day and setting for a run.

Yesterday was a wash for me. It was cold, raining and/or snowing the entire day. I binge watched Season 1 of Games of Thrones. Now I will have to subscribe if I want to watch more.

No run for me tonight. I am going to get my taxes done after work (not really the last minute but close!). Then I will go home to finish the pork carnitas I cooked last night on the grill

QOTD: any new running/hiking gear purchases upcoming for you? I am considering an inflatable paddle board I can carry on my back to combine hiking and paddling adventures. There is a state park I go to with some great water for paddling just an hour or two down the trail.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Boston Marathon Day.

Sandy - Thanks for sharing some nice pictures (tired of looking at Warden's snow )

George - glad you got to Ohh Ahh Point. Believe it or not, that's the easy part of the R2R2R. The Rim Trail is very nice, especially fun if there is scattered clouds so you can see the light dance around the canyon.

SRD today but likely a bike ride on trainer later.

Anyone following the Boston Marathon today?  Any friends running?

QOTD:  Moon, I like your board idea.  I need some new shoes.  Several pairs are running out at the same time.  Damn Hooka Clifton's wear out way too fast. Probably a new pair of Inov8's and a pair of Altra Timp's.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy, looking like a pretty dormant volcano?  Neat pics, which I enjoyed with my coffee.

Moonlight, after binge watching season 1 of GoT, do you think it’s worth the hype?  And worth paying fir more?  I haven’t seen it and doubt I will.

AT, how many miles do you get on Hokas?  I’ve heard their soles are not very robust.

QOTD: just bought some new Pategonia undies at REI, ordered online and picking up at the store this week. Crazy expensive for underwear but they are my go-to for running and last forever. No guarantees that I’ll leave the store without buying anything else.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy that's very rocky but the pics were great.  Glad you had a good time, great prep for Box o Rox...lol.

Still wasn't feeling it but it was cold and raining Sat and then cold and windy Sun so did nothing.  I'm finally feeling the urge to get out and do something.  I'm going to the gym at lunch and using the bike then talking to the personal trainer to get set up for some strength training.  I worry about my form since I don't really know what I'm doing and really don't want to hurt my back again.

qotd: Nothing planned right now.  I have only the 2 events and I'm not sure what else I might sign up for. I'd love a kayak but it's easier to just rent one as we don't have any good kayaking close by.

I do have a question...I use ice when it's hot at races at the aid stations but not sure how to keep cool during a training run.  I need to scout out the route I want to use for longer ones and see if I could leave my car somewhere safe.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Great pictures, Sandy!  It looks like it was a beautiful day.

I know we're a bunch of trail runners here, but I expected some mention of Boston today, so thanks, AT!  I have a couple of friends that I'll be tracking.  I have no desire to run Boston (nor could I), but I still find that race day excitement contagious.  I always love marathon Monday.  Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to stream much of it today.  I have about a million emails to catch up on at work.

QOTD: I need a different backpacking pack if I'm going to do a week long trip this summer.  Probably will pull the trigger on something soon.  Otherwise, I really need to stop spending money on gear!  I have way too much already.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

QOTD: just bought some new Pategonia undies at REI, ordered online and picking up at the store this week. Crazy expensive for underwear but they are my go-to for running and last forever. No guarantees that I’ll leave the store without buying anything else.

I love the Patagonia undies as well.  They just keep going strong, too!  But yeah, the price tag is hard to swallow.

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

A rest day here from running though not much resting really. Started pulling taps and buckets last night and will finish this morning. A few other chores here and then try to head home and I hope to get a bike ride in when I get home. Stellar day here and Madison it looks to be. Gonna finally be spring like all week up here so I think a lot of the snow will finally disappear.

QOTD--just got a pair of Topo Ultraventures. I'm so finicky on my shoes I hope they work out. Be a couple weeks before I try them. Also just got a new car camping tent--Marmot Limelight. I too need to stop buying stuff.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

QOTD--just got a pair of Topo Ultraventures. I'm so finicky on my shoes I hope they work out.

Curious to hear if you like them.  I was wearing a pair of Topo Terraventures on our hike last week.  I'd like to try the Ultraventures at some point.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great pics Sandy! Thanks for sharing.

AT: My hygienist is running Boston today.  DW works at a dentist office so I know which staff are runners and there are a bunch.  This one is a pretty fast runner. She should do well.

QOTD: Nothing.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I do have a question...I use ice when it's hot at races at the aid stations but not sure how to keep cool during a training run.  I need to scout out the route I want to use for longer ones and see if I could leave my car somewhere safe.

I have a lightweight Buff that I will run with and keep damp at stream crossings (abundant in my area in the woods). The cool feeling on the neck helps you feel cooler.

I've done double out and back runs where I'll stop at car and drink something very cold and put ice cubes in my Buff and or under my hat.

Also put ice in my hydration vest bladder, and that keeps my back cool and the water cold.

Running in shady spots helps.

AT-runner

Tim

AT, how many miles do you get on Hokas?  I’ve heard their soles are not very robust.

I out some Inov* TrailRock's in rotation well before my Hooka's, and the TrailRock's are in better shape. I think only 325-350 miles on the Hooka's and heel is worn down. I'm 190 pounds, so I'm not light on my feet. 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sandy - Great pics!  Really cool you found and did that while you were there.  Hope you get to enjoy some tasty Korean BBQ and kimchee!

moonlighter - Thanks for the advice on helping me get off my arse.  Lately my problems are more around anxiety and insomnia versus symptoms of depression, even though my mood is very down.  But yeah, I just need to commit to a run to get it done.

Daydreamer - sounds like someone doesn't like millennials. 

I'm recording the Boston Marathon and will watch it sometime later on.  Sucks that the race is run while I'm work.  I will try to get a few miles in tonight.  I need to find a decent 2 week marathon training plan... I'm sure there's a good one on the interwebz.

QOTD:  Thanks for the reminder.  I need to pick up some trekking poles - probably BD from REI.  I'd like to do some hiking around Big Sur (Gatsby - DW wants to go to that field of flowers you found!) and I'm sure I'll need them.

MTA - While I'm at REI, I'll have to check out these women's Patagonia undies you guys are raving about.  You know, curious. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

Great pics Sandy and thanks for sharing. Looks pretty rocky like PA but a drier climate. Glad you had clear blues skies and for your adventure.

Happy Patriots day everyone. I am streaming the race now. Lots of good memories from my 3 runs at Boston. Sort of like the 3 bears for me. Boston bake in 2004, a warm xtreme taper in 2005, and just perfect in 2010.

Not much running over the weekend. Went out on Saturday with the Lady but she does not like warm and humid so I just shut down the run after about a mile and walked/hiked it in. We did manage a very nice 6 on Friday evening at Warwick Park on our normal spring/summer route the fords French Creek. We had mild temps and on/off warm rain and I had a nice fast finish there. 5 yesterday out at Green Lane, sort of slow but cool enough for the Lady to run along with me. I like the warm weather but it makes me sad that the Lady cannot tolerate is so well anymore.

QOTD: I bought a pair of Altra Lone Peaks last week. Back to liking these shoes. The last model did not fit me right but the LRS guy sized me up and they feel good. Considering a new golf club purchase as my irons are about 25 years old and my metal woods nearly 20. I need some new tech for my old man swing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

I'm recording the Boston Marathon and will watch it sometime later on.  Sucks that the race is run while I'm work.  I will try to get a few miles in tonight.  I need to find a decent 2 week marathon training plan... I'm sure there's a good one on the interwebz.

Check the CrossFit sites.