Trailer Trash

Miserable Monday (Read 41 times)

LB2

Raining and muggy here. I'll get out and run later, probably 5 but maybe 7.

QOTD: How do you see or define yourself as a runner?

I saw an article yesterday that discussed the health of "ultra" runners and distinguished between the ultra runner and the recreational runner. I run ultra marathons, but I still consider myself a "recreational trail runner", regardless of the distance. I think the only limit for distance is your own mind.

LB2

There are some icy roads this morning and it is warming up so we will probably wait a few hours this morning before we go out for a trail run.  I don't have a plan for how far we'll run today and will play it by ear.

QOTD:  Given those terms I have to choose recreational trail runner.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

runtraildc

Miserably rainy day here, too.  Got in a short, but fun 2.5 miles last night.  I took little DS to the track, his request, but we took the long way there (my request).  He got a bad side stitch but got a little running in.  I got a fast mile around the track (anything to get it over with).

qotd:  Interesting that the article framed it in so limiting terms.  I'm not an ultra runner, but I also consider myself more than a 'recreational' runner.  Like many runners, I need to run- especially for physical and mental well being.  "recreational runner' sounds like a jogger to me., the person that goes out for the occasional 2 miles and trains for a 5k.  Which is fine, it's just not me.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Forecast was for sleet, freezing rain and generally nasty conditions on the roads, but looking outside traffic seems to be moving well. Nevertheless I don't plan to run until mid or late afternoon.

QOTD:  Despite focusing on ultras for almost two years now, I still see myself as a middle distance runner. That won't keep me from continuing to train for and run ultras or shift to more trail running in the future. It also means I have a constant pull/urge to check out track meets and wonder if I should switch back. I've never been a professional runner and don't see myself as a recreational runner. Running holds at least as high a place as work on my priority list. (I can get away with that since I'm semi-retired and work more for something to do than because I need the income.)

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

qotd:  Interesting that the article framed it in so limiting terms.

Yeah, some of the most serious, most obsessed runners I know have never and will never run a marathon and will never race even a half marathon. or even a 10K  Sprinters or middle distance runners are just as likely if not more likely to center their whole life around training and competing.   Track athletes are definitely not particularly more likely to be "recreational athletes".

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It is a miserable Monday.  Freezing rain! It should warm up enough later to let me run a bit tonight.

QOTD: I don't know what I am.  Like runtraildc said, I feel like I need to run.  It's for me.  I have been faced with the decision over the last year + to give up running due to my chronic injury.  I haven't given up hope.  But the thought that my body just wasn't made to run distance has been weighing on me.  DW says to me the other day after I cam home after a 3 miler, "I like those kinds of runs...you're not gone long".  My response was "I don't like running short...I need to run long".  And in my head I continued the conversation.  I look forward to being out in the woods for extended periods of time.  If I have to give up the longer distances (ultras) then so be it but running will never be the same.  But I think I will still run.  I don't care to be called any type of runner anymore.  I just want to run...consistently.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Ice skating rink around Gettysburg today. SRD today, so all is well plus a step back week for mileage, and my legs feel like they need a step back week.

LB - what was the article? I's like to read it.

QOTD:  My first trail race was 1999 and my first Ultra was 2000.  Prior to that, I'd done dozens of marathons and yet still consider myself a fitness/recreational runner.  I run for mental and physical health and well being, and I just happen to prefer running for a long time.

I've also started to get tired of how hectic trail races (ultra and non-ultra distances) are getting as our sport grows.  800 people for a trail race is not fun, for me.  I'm happy people are finding the trails, but I prefer the solitude of running an adventure vs a busy race.  Oh no, I've become a grumpy old man!

As far as health issues, I'll wait to see the article to comment.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Ho-hum, another day in the great northwoods. Lazy morning for me but I am about to head out to make some snowshoe trails around the shack and shoreline. Lots of snow and it is as cold as a .....  I'll head out for a 8-10 mile road run on the ice and packed snow afterwards. Hopefully get some skiing in before heading home later today.

Informed DW of my entry in the Beaverhead 55k out in Idaho and asked her if she wanted to come along and we'd make a vacation out of it. She said she'd think about it but said I'd have to promise not to be a cranky ass when I finished the race like I usually am.  Who me??? LOL!

QOTD--I am just a runner. Why is there always this need for people to be categorized? Either by ourselves or to fit into someone else's box. I run for me and could not care less what anyone thinks.

sugnim

Good morning.  I'm taking a rest day from running today.  It was snowing during my walking commute to work, and there is just a narrow channel down the middle of the river that isn't iced over.  This time of year, I miss the extra 30 minutes I have to get ready in the morning when I can get there by bike, but I enjoy the things that I notice when my commute is slowed down by walking.

QOTD:  Since I've never run an ultra, and probably never will, I would be a recreational runner by those terms.  But, if you're asking how I define myself in my own terms, then I guess I'm a runner for health, both physical and mental.  I feel better when I run, and I fell like a bloated slug when I don't.  I love disappearing into the mountains for a few hours when I can, feeling strong and a little bit wild.  I guess that's a form of recreation in the sense that it re-creates me into the person I'd rather be; I am recreated, so it's a recreational activity.

hog4life

5 with Bella before the rain started.

QOTD, casual, or recreational, running for health and fitness.

After some of the roads thawed a bit, we went out for a sloppy 4 mile trail run.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Watoni

Hoping for a few miles through the woods later.

QOTD: What Harrier said ... for my cycling it makes even less sense to think in terms like that

Occasional Runner

Finally settled into our first town in Brazil. We're being hosted by a doctor that agreed to be our driver during the week. His home is absolutely extraordinary!

No no running today because we flew all night. I'm exhausted.

QOTD: sometimes serous and competitive and other times I'm fun and lighthearted about the sport. It's not easy to label.

XtremeTaper

35 degrees with rain today but despite that a fairly pleasant 7.5 mile run on the roads at lunchtime. Lots of cold runs last week so this felt a bit warm actually.

QOTD: I've moved to the zen runner state. I like to run. I like to run most every day. I like to run most of all with my dog in the woods. I don't worry so much about training and pacing as I should but I can still run an ultra now and again, and run well enough in my AG in shorter distances on the trail.

I am curious, about the article. What was it's point?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

Finally settled into our first town in Brazil. We're being hosted by a doctor that agreed to be our driver during the week. His home is absolutely extraordinary!

No no running today because we flew all night. I'm exhausted.

QOTD: sometimes serous and competitive and other times I'm fun and lighthearted about the sport. It's not easy to label.

Sounds like this will be a great adventure!