Trailer Trash

Nerd Thursday (Read 20 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers! No run yet today, but I thought I'd get things going. And not sure what today will bring as I'm trying to finish up a house project (lead paint 'remediation') and getting ready for weekend guests. It will include yoga at least. Maybe my usual Thursday lunch class or maybe something shorter. Sun is hiding but the temps are favorable for a late afternoon trail run during swim practice.

qotd: Any interests or hobbies that may be considered 'nerdy'?  While I would not call myself a 'birder', I probably really am.  I saw a new to me species in my yard this weekend and got really excited.  Eastern Towhee. I also filled my feeder last week and have been really enjoying the birds while I drink my morning coffee.Don't get me started on free range cats, either.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Another short run last night.  My streak is alive, albeit barely, at 18 days.

QOTD: So my latest hobby is working with pallet wood.  I have been making pallet art and have plan for many other projects involving pallet wood.  I am not a crafty or handy guy so it's been interesting but I am learning as I go.  I also have plans to make some items using wood crates (desks for my boys, shelving system, etc).  It has to be considered "nerdy" as I sometimes find myself in craft stores to find some accessories for the projects I need.  I justify it because I also find myself at Lowes or Home Depot for accessories.  

My most recent creation was a head board for our master bedroom made of pallet wood.  I think it came out great - if I do say so myself.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my run yesterday was heavenly- temps in the upper 20's with no wind, felt like Spring   I should have had my headlamp with I cut it too close and finished my run in the dark, bringing it today- temps supposed to be near freezing

qotd: is elk hunting nerdy?   I do enjoy watching birds when I'm out (had to take a couple of Ornithology classes with my degree) - this year elk hunting one late evening I spied a Pygmy Owl- the smallest owl we have in the state; three days later, probably less than a 1/2 mile away, while I was hiking into my area just before dawn, I saw a Great Grey owl- the largest owl we have in the state.  The Great Grey came out of his roost tree, close to a five foot wing span and the wings didn't make a sound- none!  Pretty neat.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

I got in 6.7 miles around town yesterday and my legs felt a lot better than the day before. Went to the gym for some weights too, was feeling motivated!

QOTD  Not really a hobby, more of a quirk.  I take care of the American flag where I work. I  put  it up and down at the appropriate times  and with the appropriate procedure for half staff.  I also frequently send emails to businesses and government agencies whose  American flags are in bad shape,  as I consider it very disrespectful.  I usually get a thank you back and saying they will take care of it, I guess you could say that's my hobby.

LB2

I ran my 3.25 mile loop this morning before daylight. I was slightly bummed my streak ended at 17 days on Tuesday, but I probably needed a rest day anyway. Tuesday was highly stressful at work. Anyway, I am clicking along pretty well with my running and should get some pretty good mileage when all is said and done, at least 130 miles. I'll hold between 130 and 150 until a focused effort starts in mid-May.

QOTD: Not really. Like, mtwarden, I do like owls and other birds of prey. I think they are pretty cool critters, especially owls. They are completely silent in flight and rarely miss their prey. I see hawks miss all the time in the woods. Nevertheless, I don't consider watching birds of prey as a hobby. I usually see them incidentally while hunting or running.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I had a dream last night where I was running down a hall but I had to run weird because I had a large ball (bouncing) between my legs.  No need to interpret Jamie, when I woke up Earl was curled up in a ball between my legs.    How does he do that without me waking up!.  So when I took Jack out to pee a #;## AM it was not raining so all it took this morning was the hubby saying; You going to run the dogs.  Once up and out I realized it was raining...oh well  got 4 miles in.

QOTD: I read...barely.  I guess I am just so cool! 

Jamie and WC runner: What is your team name?  I am on scramble legs

MTWarden:  I don't think elk hunting falls under nerdy...it's a macho thing.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Muddy 8 miles this morning.  Some logging getting ready to start in an area that I love, so did a tempo-easy-tempo run today. Parked where I usually park and skipped the first 2 miles of trials where they are setting up to log and ran tempo pace on gravel road. Then 4 miles in the woods at easy pace on single track and then back on the road for fast 2 miles back.  Felt pretty good on the return miles.

QOTD:  Proud nerd here. I do Sudoku puzzles every day online and/or on the phone. Compete with others for fasted time and do pretty well, usually score in top 10%.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Came home from work in a very exhausted state. Feeling pretty good after a long winters nap and the temps are kind of spring like so I'm getting ready to head out for 5-6 miles. Really want to do the 6 miles so I gotta get my butt in gear and get moving or I won't have the time.

QOTD: My reading is probably considered nerdy because of the type of material I read.  I'm much happier looking over technical type data or articles than I am doing things like watching movies. Always reading something and trying to analyze it. This will include a wide range of subjects, but I especially like medical and exercise science articles. Mechanical and  home repair articles are  also high on the list.

And since this thread seems to have went to the birds.............. I'm really protective of my bluebirds.  When they are around any other birds that bother them get the death penalty.  Mostly it's just the real nasty birds like sparrows, blackbirds and grackles that I have trouble with. I'm always on the look out for the occasional oriole or other colorful bird that may come through as well.  I don't like the cats roaming about either but mostly because some of them will bother the wascally wabbits in my back yard.   It's kind of funny. If I have a good opportunity to go hunt rabbits I will, but I don't want the ones living under my shed to be bothered.    Guess it's because I like watching them come out for their evening salad of clover.

AT-runner

Tim

Don't get me started on free range cats, either.

I hear they are delicious and gluten free. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Another 3 miler this morning.  Don't know the temp, but it was below freezing so it felt good.  Went along the south bank.

qotd:  I'm not really a bird watcher, but I do stop and watch them (or any other animal) when I see an unusual one.  I agree owls are the best.

tbd.

LB2

qotd:  I'm not really a bird watcher, but I do stop and watch them (or any other animal) when I see an unusual one.  I agree owls are the best.

I thought you were partial to beavers, Sandy. Hahaha. I'll never forget that night as long as I live.

LB2

NHLA

5 miles . Dropped off car at shop and ran home and back.

qotd  painting toenails.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I had a dream last night where I was running down a hall but I had to run weird because I had a large ball (bouncing) between my legs.  No need to interpret Jamie, when I woke up Earl was curled up in a ball between my legs.    How does he do that without me waking up!.  So when I took Jack out to pee a #;## AM it was not raining so all it took this morning was the hubby saying; You going to run the dogs.  Once up and out I realized it was raining...oh well  got 4 miles in.

QOTD: I read...barely.  I guess I am just so cool! 

MTWarden:  I don't think elk hunting falls under nerdy...it's a macho thing.

Two things: I am beyond interpreting YOUR dreams. and I don't want to tell you my 2017 team.  Let's just say we really suck...so far.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Obviously I was not assigned to the appropriate team, since my legs are currently scrambled but I'm not on your team. I'm on Bad Case of the Runs. Generally that's not a problem for me but I do have a bad run now and then. Was moving along quite nicely today for 7 miles, then Wham! I could have walked the last mile faster than the 15 plus minutes it took me to run it.

qotd: I have casual interests in a lot of areas that would be considered nerdy: science, math, classic literature, sci-fi and fantasy, history, but no other hobbies to speak of.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

I thought you were partial to beavers, Sandy. Hahaha. I'll never forget that night as long as I live.

Me neither. 

tbd.