Trailer Trash

Solstice eve Monday (Read 25 times)

runtraildc

Happy Solstice eve trailers-- longest night of the year coming right up.   Got in 8.5 miles yesterday plus a scary incident.   Running down a  busy road in a very safe neighborhood, heading to downtown DC in the middle of the afternoon.  Came up to a guy who looked as if he was getting ready to flash me so I broke eye contact and slightly swerved away from him on the sidewalk.  No exposure, but when I passed him, he yelled at me, red faced with crazy eyes, then ran down the side street.  It all happened so quickly that it was over before I could process anything.   Next block, I found a guy calling the police, plus another couple in a car doing the same, reporting him.  I got off easy.  He apparently tried to attack one guy with a knife, and the red on his face-- blood.  Clearly high.  Police came speeding thru shortly-- hopefully they found him.

So, intense run.  I also think my odds of running into a meth or PCP rampaging, knife wielding flasher are now past me.  

qotd:  What has been your most scary/startling/unusual run encounter this year?  Me, see above.

NHLA

Going for a few miles with Sandy latter.

qotd runtraildc sorry about your incounter. The police have stopped me twice to see if had seen someone who had assalted somebody. I had seen one of them and helped them catch them. The other one I had not seen but told them where I ran from so they looked the other way.

Had a bear encounter. Came around a blind curve and there he was mabe 25 yds away.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^^ Holy Shit- spooky!  Those are the times that packing a little 9 or .380 would be assuring.

Going to strength train this evening.

qotd: the Bob Marshall Open had several moments that took me well beyond my comfort level 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Runtrail, yikes on the encounter. Good instincts though.

Yes, happy solstice. The days will start getting longer this week. A notable day for those of us who prefer evening running. Just a few more cold months to go.

No run yet today, I am sandwiched between conference calls for another hour or so. I do plan something short out on the roads today as that's about all I have time for between work and final dusting of the house for company.

QOTD: Hmm. Nothing too scary here. Well, down in FL last April running the Whispering Pines 12 hour somewhere around lap 9, 10, or 11 of the 5 mile loop there was a flash and a boom nearly simultaneously.  I had caught up to some other runners at the time and we all just about jumped out of our shorts.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's dumping outside so no morning run...Gym at lunch then...well probably nothing.  Wonder what Jamie is doing. 

QOTD:  Nothing comes to mind for this year.

Here's my sefly from yesterday.  I don't think my arm is as long as MTWarden.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ Sue- me likes! Now that's what Winter is all about 

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Heading out in  a little bit for 6-7 miles. Gotta get back into regular running now that I'm putting together my 2016 race schedule.

Runtrail - Glad he didn't try to attack you. Always important to be aware of your surroundings. A lot of crazy people out there.

QOTD: My last encounter with anything was a little over a year ago while on the bike. It was the dog episode where it ended up under the bike and I on my back on the road.  Drove by that place several days ago and the idiot owner has a sign out now. Reads "Caution Black Lab at Play". Guess he thinks this allows him to let it run wherever, whenever.   He's just a worthless, fat slob and welfare baby and that's the nicest thing I've heard any of his neighbors say about him.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet.  Planning on like at least 15 tonight....

I am so jealous of all your snow pics Warden and Queen.  I soooo love winter trail running.  I cannot believe I am saying this but....I want snow.  Please let it snow! Nothing in the forecast here 

QOTD: I had a bear encounter a few years back that I have talked about on here a bunch so I wont rehash the details.  Otherwise not much.  Sometimes I get spooked by little critters sounding like they are bigger ones but that's about it.

Have a great day...what's left of it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Been mia, having too much family fun!!!  But my DD and I have run each morning.  Just flat runs since she did a marathon last weekend.  We're all taking a hike up the mountain today.

qotd: nothing too scary, although yesterday we had a little encounter while we were running near the fishing boats that were unloading their night's catch and the old ladies selling fresh fish out of plastic buckets. While we were looking at the octopuses, a fisherman smelling of booze came up to us laughing and gave my DD a big hug, she loved it and hugged him back, the scary thing was he wanted to hug me too!!  He was really funny and the old ladies were laughing.  When we left she said that it reminded her of Mongolia...  By the way it was about 7:00am in the morning.

tbd.