Trailer Trash

smoke 'em if you get 'em Wednesdaily (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!

got 3.5 miles in with Tiny Elvis this morning- awfully smoky from local fires

qotd: were you ever a smoker?  I smoked occasionally in high school (bad boy ), but never was a die hard smoker, but I chewed Copenhagen for 20+ years- an equally insidious tobacco product.  I quit about 20 years ago and don't miss it a bit.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran 5 miles this morning. It wasn't quite as hot this morning, about 72.

QOTD: I was never a smoker. I do dip Grizzly pouches, though.

LB2

Sandy-2

I was supposed to get up early and run today, but I was tossing and turning all night so I bagged it. I'll probably run after work today.

This could be why I was not sleeping so well. . .    Not sure I mentioned this but my DD is currently staying on a horse ranch in Hokkaido, Japan.  This is a little FB blurb about her morning run yesterday in the woods . . . "I stretched out along a downhill blind curve and nearly T-Boned a bear (That's "Kuma" in Japanese!).  He was so close, the gravel from my shoes skidding me to a stop hit him in the shoulder. I said some stuff in broken Japanese, and he and I stared at each other for a good minute before he lumbered off."

The thing is the bears in Hokkaido are brown bears related to grizzlies.  Fortunately the one she saw was on the smaller side (about the size of a very large German Sheppard) and not too aggressive.  She Facetimed us afterwards and said that it did sort of grunt/growled at her a little. One last fun fact that every parent wants to hear when their DD is spending lots of time alone riding horses in the back woods in the mountains of Hokkaido, I read that the estimated brown bear (grizzly) population in Haikkado is around 3,000. That's about 4 times the grizzly population of the US.

Next time she goes running she promised to bring the bear bell that her hosts lent her. 

Here's a photo she sent from one of her training rides over there. All her photos are taken from the back of a horse so they always have ears in them.

qotd: just a little bit in high school (same bad boy as mt). I'd typically sneak a few cigarettes from my mom.

tbd.

muppy

Sandy, glad your daughter is alright! Hope she has a great time in Japan.

I got an 8.5 sluggish miles yesterday, was hot and humid, today should be much nicer.

QOTD  I smoked 2 packs a day and chewed for about 15 years.  I quit about 10 years ago,  I don't think I could afford to smoke today with a pack about $8.00.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A short run this morning.  It is back to being dark when I run in the morning - I like it that way.  Very peaceful.

Sandy - your DD has had some pretty great experiences at such a young age.  But then again, she has you to follow so it should be surprising.

QOTD: Never.  When you break it down, it's one of the more filthy, disgusting, horrific things you can do to your body.  That and not exercising!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Short runs, nothing exciting to report. Weather is going to break for the next week and looks like great running weather.  Plan is to do a "normal" trail run this weekend, which for my area is technical.  Ortho is a trail runner, so he knows what he's given me permission to do.

It always pays to make sure the doc know what you do when you say you are a runner.  If he didn't know where I ran, he would have cleared me for trails weeks ago thinking I was running on something like on the C&O or a Rail Trail.

QOTD:  Never a smoker.  My Dada was a smoker and I was never bothered by it until I went to college and moved away from it.  I can't stand smoke and it really makes my eyes hurt and I cough.   29 years ago DW and I lived in Iowa, and they got rid of smoking in public.  PA finally got rid of smoking in restaurants a few years ago (can still smoke in bars and clubs). PA was just a bit slow.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

morning folks. Broke my non-running streak and got out for 6.5 miles this morning. We ended on a long slow uphill. The weather is shifting and I could tell a difference between the start (humid) and end (much much less humid). Might go run with the beer group tonight to get in a couple more miles.

qotd: No. I have other bad habits (sugar)

Daydreamer1

Yesterdays bike ride never happened. Storms rolled in and were supposed to be severe. They weren't really all that bad.

Looking at a 20-25 mile ride today with DW, and maybe some miles by myself.

Sandy - Great way to get the heart rate up.

QOTD:  This brings back memories of us kids walking into Hurry's Store in Clements Maryland getting a 8 oz bottle of Mt Dew and picking up a pack of Marlboros for my Dad.  The problem was is that my Dad smoked Half and Half in a pipe .  Of course the store owner knew that but it being so far back in the day like it was it was no problem to buy them for a preteen kid.  Then we moved to PA when I was 10 years old and Cigarettes were harder to get but we could get them. Then the price went to 50 cents a pack and that was more then my allowance would tolerate so I quit buying them. Last cigarette was probably when I was about 14-15.  I tried to switch to chewing for a short time and Redman Leaf was OK, then I tried some Skoal at lunch time during 9th grade. That did not go so well to the point that it was the last time any chew entered my mouth.

Sadly DS has started smoking. The one bad side effect of being in the military I suppose.

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: No. I have other bad habits (sugar)

That's an addiction for me.

Sandy - doesn't matter how old they are, we still worry about them.

Muppy - my Oregoneon kids say pot is cheaper than cigarettes.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

I had to break out a light jacket for this mornings run before I know it I'll be putting duct tape on the toes of my shoes

was going to tell everyone anout the scary skunk me and Mr. Jangles ran into this am but it pales in comparison to Sandy's DD. Scary stuff

QOTD: yes heavy smoker for 20 years, used dip to ween myself off cigarette only to find out it was harder to quit dip than cigarettes.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ I found out that a pinch of Copenhagen has approximately twenty times the nicotine as a cigarette- it's the herion of tobacco 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 4 miles in the woods behind the old Mental State Hospital.... which made me think of DC.... not because of the state hospital but she did say she might be in town this week.  From her message I think she's still home.

Qotd: i chewed tabacco in my senior year to you know be cool... learned it from some young Colorado ski coaches at ski camp....then tried smoking to you know be cool my freshman year of college.  That stuff makes me sick!!! So glad I coukd never get the hang of it.  Both my brothers are heavy smokers.. don't know where it came from since folks didn't smoke and Mom hated it.  Coukd be a Michigan thing.

AT:  Some of my intellgent neices and nephew smoke which really blows me away.

Sandy:  i use to want to be one of my dogs when I am reborn... thinking I might change that to your daughter.  She sure is living the dream!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

No run here, just a walk with the dogs and damn grass needs mowing so won't be hitting the trails tonight either, not that I'd be running. Anticipating late next week some jogging. Pretty big storm here last night with a tornado warning which is rare here. Turned out to be just heavy rain, normal t-storm like wind, and lots of lightning. Sat on the front porch and had a beer while the storm rolled in enjoying the light show.

QOTD: I quit smoking in 2001. Quit cold turkey. I smoked about 25 years, not a heavy smoker, just moderate except in times of drinking. Funny, I became a runner while I was still a smoker. I sort of had a rule back then not to smoke until after my morning run.  :brilliant:

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

queen- How did Marquette go?

Did you win?

Sandy-2

You WE may be getting some running this weekend that turns into swimming.

LB2, I fixed your message from yesterday for you. NOAA predicts 10 to 15 inches of rain this weekend, I think you may get 5 to 10 inches of rain.  And I'm supposed to do a couple of long runs this weekend, but like you said perhaps I may be swimming instead. Stay dry.

tbd.