Trailer Trash

Smith Rock -- Not my cup of tea but I loved Bend (Read 23 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Drove up to Bend Oregon on Friday. We had rented a Air BnB which is a great deal when you are with a group. My share of the nightly rate was less than a hotel and we got a living room, kitchen, backyard and porch. There was 8 of us so 2 to a room. I tried to room with the one male with us but his wife wouldn't have it. The group was full of early birds so we left the house at 5:30 am for a race that starts at 8 am. Got there about 6:15.

Smith Rock looming in the background.

The rock was beautiful and impressive. The race began on the rim and we immediately traveled down into the canyon, hit the trail along the river and ran around to the backside of the canyon (4mi) which wasn't so impressive. At this point we begin hiking up a switchback for about 2 mi than a nice runnable along the top for maybe a mike and than the first aid station followed by a 2 mi downhill runnable....weeeeee.

Heading into canyon from start.

I think we had 5 miles of a uphill climb that was runnable if we weren't running so long. So we ran/walked this. We as in Jennah was running behind me. Her training wasn't that great. I think her long run was 16 miles but being 22 has it's advantages. This part sucked. So I love woods and the woods in Bend had a lot to be desired. Shabby little pine trees. The 2 mile downhill was the same but running a single track downhill in a ugly forest is more fun the hiking up it. Don't get me wrong, Bend is beautiful. The views in the distance of the snow covered mountains are breathtaking and the air us clean and crisp.

So between the second aid station (12.7) and the last (26.4) it was not my cup of tea. Lot's of climb, I enjoy runnable stuff more....and woods. Most of this trail outside of the canyon was cattle crazing land so we had to close at least 4 gates as we entered a new area. We did pass a few but they were laying down chilling. Lost if crap too but it was good and dried. From about 22 to 26 it was getting old as we hiked/ran. Had a group of about 7 follow us. If I ran they ran, if I walked they walked. Seriously after awhile I really felt like I was dragging something.

Where I fell... guess I was to busy sucking in the beautiful forest.

The finishline is somewhere on the other side. If you can see that line across the ridge on the otherside not knowing where I was in mikes I was bracing myself to climb it.  However I did not have too.

By Jennah...go for it!

The course is a pretty much a lollypop. The stick being the best part.

My goal was to finish under 7 hours. Instead of a true stick we dropped back into the canyon from on top and headed down a very steep gravel road. My watch had died so I had no idea where we were at. Jennah thought we could do under 7. I told her to leave me as I just planned on getting in. So when you hit the bottom of a canyon you have to climb out.. in this case on a cement road. I was walking up with a young guy and he thought about running some. I told him I am walking; even when I hit the top. So his young wife starts cheering for him and he runs part of the hill but has to walk when he hits the top. The top is flat so I start running and was happy to see I came in at 6:51:22. Jennah came in at 6:48:48.

The after party was great. Kegs of 10 Barrel Beer and a fresh burrito bar with sockeye salmon! We ate and drank. Since we were the last there they gave use all massage balls and sticks.

Had a great weekend! Loved Bend, we stayed until Monday, great group of friends, but I wouldn't do it again.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Thanks for the RR and pics. I like GoBeyond Racing and would like to visit Bend again sometime soon (was in Bend many times back when it was small and unhip).  But, I’m with you on the terrain, not what I would enjoy for a trail race. You will find Mt Hood much more to your liking. Green, soft trails, and lots of trees to go with your mikes.  

PS that’s a great finish time.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The climbs sound daunting. Having never been to Bend I had no idea what the landscape would be like. Can't say I'm a fan of the forested area, but then I see a lot of forest in PA.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

That is awesome, Sue.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Hey Sue, like some Jamaican man yelled at me while I was road running in Ocho Rios "YOU NEED TO RUN IN THE MOUNTAINS!". It applies to Bend as well. That big mountain in the background... that's one of the 3 Sisters I think west of Bend. In the forested mountains, not the desert. We ran/hiked one of those mofo's. That's where the best trails are at around Bend, at least from my trip, but I did enjoy our shorter run at Smith Rock for something completely different. We just ran in the main park though, and it was a cold rainy (snowy day) in the mountains so the sun of the desert was perfect.

Anyways, looks like a fun group and that seems like a good time for the course. You seem to be in your element there at the finish. Hope you had some good beer out there.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

My daughter is not a big fan of Bend either. She likes Portland and the Hood area too much.  Good beer there, but she says most of Bend is made up of the older hippies that left Portland to get out of the rain.

You got a nice view of what looks like South Sister.  As XT said, it's some Nice exploring around there.  You should have seen Mt Washington at some time too.  It's got a pointy peak.

Glad you weren't hurt by any "crazing cattle". 

How did the one guy make out with 7 women in a house for a long weekend?

Damn 20 year olds, they never respect us elders.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Nice pictures. It's, It's, It's so.................................dry. Where were the mud holes .

Actually I would like to run in some stuff like that. Somewhere where you can actually see more then just trees. Don't get me wrong, I like running in the woods, but sometimes it's nice to have a good view.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

damn Sue you are rocking it with the running/races- congrats on the great finish!

I was thinking of asking about massage balls, but I better not 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

valerienv

Thread killer ..

That looks like my kind of race ...trees scare me .

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Nice work!  Glad you got that sub-7 goal.  The pics look nice and reminded me when I was there about 17 years ago.  Hope the after party made up for the un-enjoyable parts of the race.  And I bet you can beat that 20-something in a drinking contest. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Congratulations Sue, looks like you had fun times.  I agree with you, will all of the exposed direct sun, it would have to be a cool crisp day for me.  I'd wilt if it was too hot. But the long distance views look really nice (except the 'forest').

tbd.